Is There an 11.6-inch MacBook on the Horizon?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ruffopurititiwang

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but looking at the last 6 articles, there are 5 Apple-focused articles, and 1 android- the Android article is negative news BTW. Tom's, what's happening here?

kewlx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
[citation][nom]ruffopurititiwang[/nom]I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but looking at the last 6 articles, there are 5 Apple-focused articles, and 1 android- the Android article is negative news BTW. Tom's, what's happening here?[/citation]

oh God hes right! help Apple has infiltrated us! watch out for the walled gardens!

g0rilla

Distinguished
May 15, 2007
[citation][nom]applegetsmelaid[/nom]That's borderline netbook.... lets see what hardware it ends up with.[/citation]

The Macbook Air was just an oversized netbook anyway....

wortwortwort

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]If it is true, it will compete directly with the Alienware M11x[/citation]

Well the M11x starts at $1000 for the base model. This will be way more.

I'll stick with my $1500 desktop (Homebuilt)

dertechie

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]If it is true, it will compete directly with the Alienware M11x[/citation]

Entirely different intended uses and markets. Macbook Air is intended to be as thin and light as possible, sacrificing most everything for mobility and cachet. M11x on the other hand is built to game well at 1366x768 for a decent price and be stable with that much packed into the chassis, weight be damned. They have about as much market in common as Bugatti supercars and 18-wheelers.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
even though they might be targeting differeant people, the problem with the mac book is if it does not match performance, then they will continue a rep of underpowered and over priced. Theres only about 2 pounds differance between the two so they both would be able to fill the exact same market, with apple tax it probably cost the same as an M11x with less performance. and the m11x being able to play more titles :D

suoeno

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
If it's true and gets priced directly head to head against M11x with half the latter's performance and specs it will not compete at all.It'll be DOA for "new" upgraders and only the most zealous (can I say insane?) of any iTard can swallow the aftertaste of having paid for 1.

Seriously...

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]kewlx[/nom]ummm can I say sheep? you using apps to tweak? I actually do system inis for games or use rocketdock or use code in rainmeter and you use apps? you're a sheep..bahh! BAHHH!get out of here sheep.[/citation] Two of the OS tweaking apps you mentioned are...er...apps. People who write system ini's in the 21st C are hatters. Keep off the Mercury, there's a good chap. FYI I also use Terminal but when a great GUI is built around code why kowtow the great Geek god? Snort!

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]You do realise one can change all the default system fonts and their sizes to whatever you want... try TinkerTool, it's for free, like many other Mac OS system tweakery apps. OS X is highly user configurable in ways users of Windows, with its clunky underpinnings and psychotic registry, can only dream of.[/citation]
So you say that the Mac OS x is way more customizable than windows, yet you need an application to change the system fonts where windows doesn't need one.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]khimera2000[/nom]ill stick with my M11x... at least i can play any game i want (within reason) on it, and wasent obscenely overpriced[/citation]

Maybe not obscenely, but still overpriced (it is an Alienware you know). Of course, I feel all netbooks are overpriced when you look at the hardware specs. The only thing a netbook can sell itself on is battery life.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]adonn78[/nom]Over-priced mac netbook witha starting price of $499? and $800 for something usable[/citation]

You can only wish that it will start at $499. I expect it to start at $799. Apple won't want it competing directly with the iPad pricewise.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]kewlx[/nom]ummm can I say sheep? you using apps to tweak? I actually do system inis for games or use rocketdock or use code in rainmeter and you use apps? you're a sheep..bahh! BAHHH!get out of here sheep.[/citation]

Fantastic, you're a genius! I'm glad you do system .inis Einstein, but the rest of the 99.98% of the planet aren't IT Geeks, like us, and don't know what an .ini or a registry, is... And they honestly would rather be out having sex with their wife/girlfriend/boyfriend than wasting their time with registry hacks...

I'm like you, an IT person who does shit like that in my sleep, but I realize that most people don't wanna know, much less care - they want their computer to work - and they'll pay $$$ for it - Apple...

You may be sour grapes and hate Apple, but there's a good reason everyone wants to be Apple... And guess what - I have a macbook pro - why? Because I can open a shell and do all the shit I need and still use an elegant interface that requires no thinking so I can focus on more important things... Microsoft has realized this also and is kicking ass to get there - thank God for competition... Or you'd be doing this on VISTA... And thinking it's the bees knees...

But what gets me is dudes like you who are self righteous piss off everyone who's not a techie and pretty much give us all a bad name... Which is why you probably you're so angry, haven't had sex yet... NOW let the flaming begin :)

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]kewlx[/nom]ummm can I say sheep? you using apps to tweak? I actually do system inis for games or use rocketdock or use code in rainmeter and you use apps? you're a sheep..bahh! BAHHH!get out of here sheep.[/citation]

Gee with all of the news on the topic let me guess...you were a bullied as a child and now a trying to get your revenge. Name calling and degrading remarks go with the prepubescent brain.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom] Microsoft has realized this also and is kicking ass to get there - thank God for competition.[/citation]

Thinking about it? Tom's is a bit late in covering this news, but according to various tech news outlets MS and Adobe met secretly recently to discuss a merger in order to take Apple on. Wall Street likes Apple so they must be doing something right when it comes to innovation and production. It seems that many here are blinded by their technological bigotry, which merely shows the deep seated hatred that many have in this country. It does not matter if it is Apple, a human race, sexual preference, a political issue, etc., the hate is there and many of the responses here merely illustrate the problem. This hate will consume US.

Status
Not open for further replies.