Is There an 11.6-inch MacBook on the Horizon?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
[citation][nom]g0rilla[/nom]The Macbook Air was just an oversized netbook anyway....[/citation]
And your right, however the Macbook Air is what inspired the netbook craze. Don't blame apple that invented the goose that laid the egg we all use today.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]kingssman[/nom]And your right, however the Macbook Air is what inspired the netbook craze. Don't blame apple that invented the goose that laid the egg we all use today.[/citation]

Um, not really. It's more likely that the netbook came from the old palm top form factor. Once someone realized that notebook components were becoming small enough at low performance levels to stick into a form factor between the palm top and notebook and not cost a lot, they went for it.

The Macbook Air was based on a different concept, attempting to shove a full powered (for a Mac) notebook into a thin form factor rather than just a smaller form factor, thin being the key for the Air's design.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]kingssman[/nom]And your right, however the Macbook Air is what inspired the netbook craze. Don't blame apple that invented the goose that laid the egg we all use today.[/citation]

I thought the Atom and Eee PC started the netbook craze... since there are no netbooks from mac.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Yep it was app that inspires the netbook craze. The Mac Book Air was launched in 2008, yet the first eee pc was launched in 2007.

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Who's going to pay $1,000+ for a netbook....oh I forgot...this is Apple we're talking about. The Apple sheep will buy one.[/citation]

Please show me a netbook on the market that uses an Intel i-Series processor.

I'm perfectly content with my new ASUS 1015PN ... but your comment makes no sense when you compare current netbooks to what the rumor mill is churning. You are comparing apples (haha) to oranges.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]So you say that the Mac OS x is way more customizable than windows, yet you need an application to change the system fonts where windows doesn't need one.[/citation]

No. "...highly user configurable..". Font changes can be made via CLI in Terminal, but why?

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]orionantares[/nom]Um, not really. It's more likely that the netbook came from the old palm top form factor. Once someone realized that notebook components were becoming small enough at low performance levels to stick into a form factor between the palm top and notebook and not cost a lot, they went for it.The Macbook Air was based on a different concept, attempting to shove a full powered (for a Mac) notebook into a thin form factor rather than just a smaller form factor, thin being the key for the Air's design.[/citation]

Some of you people haven't a clue how PC tech has evolved.
So, a little lesson in industry history for you...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMate_300

There you will see the first netbook incarnation fully 10 years before the failure of netbooks.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]Some of you people haven't a clue how PC tech has evolved.So, a little lesson in industry history for you...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMate_300There you will see the first netbook incarnation fully 10 years before the failure of netbooks.[/citation]
Really?? What about the ThinkPad 700 that was launched in 92? Also the eMate didn't use a full OS unlike netbooks.

http://www.globalnerdy.com/2007/07/19/happy-15th-birthday-thinkpad-a-slightly-saucy-thinkpad-story/

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Really?? What about the ThinkPad 700 that was launched in 92? Also the eMate didn't use a full OS unlike netbooks.http://www.globalnerdy.com/2007/07 [...] pad-story/[/citation]

I said netbook...Newton OS came with e-mail, browser, Windows-Mac interconnectivity/interoperability, wireless...It was a netbook, not a laptop.

From Wikipedia: "The origins of the netbook can be traced to the Network Computer (NC) concept of the mid-1990s. In March 1997, Apple Computer introduced the eMate 300 as a subcompact laptop that was a cross between the Apple Newton PDA and a conventional laptop computer"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbook

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Oh, additionally Vladislaus, laptops will be with us for a good few years yet, the netbook will die with tablets: Again, the iPad (an Apple product)being the first to most garner public attention and create a new computing paradigm just as Apple did with Smartphones. Knock 'em all you like, but Apple have been utterly essential to the well-being of the PC tech industry.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]I said netbook...Newton OS came with e-mail, browser, Windows-Mac interconnectivity/interoperability, wireless...It was a netbook, not a laptop.From Wikipedia: "The origins of the netbook can be traced to the Network Computer (NC) concept of the mid-1990s. In March 1997, Apple Computer introduced the eMate 300 as a subcompact laptop that was a cross between the Apple Newton PDA and a conventional laptop computer"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbook[/citation]
So you're saying that any smartphone and pda have a full OS? Because they also have email, browser, wireless,... In fact the Newton OS was a pda OS and the eMate was basically a larger pda with a keyboard.
NetBooks run a full OS even those with a custom linux distro.
The first modern netbook was the OLPC XO-1, but it's origins mount to 1989 with the Compaq LTE and 1992 with the ThinkPad 700.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]Oh, additionally Vladislaus, laptops will be with us for a good few years yet, the netbook will die with tablets: Again, the iPad (an Apple product)being the first to most garner public attention and create a new computing paradigm just as Apple did with Smartphones. Knock 'em all you like, but Apple have been utterly essential to the well-being of the PC tech industry.[/citation]
I never said that they weren't essential. Also I own a Mac Mini. Still my os of choise is still linux. I use windows to play games.

Many Apple fans think that Apple invents everything, specially the most devoted fans, and this is why they are hated by many.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]I never said that they weren't essential. Also I own a Mac Mini. Still my os of choise is still linux. I use windows to play games.Many Apple fans think that Apple invents everything, specially the most devoted fans, and this is why they are hated by many.[/citation] Yes, some do (but to hate them for it?). The chicken/egg distinction is blurred; Apple does quite a lot of inventing but what Apple is truly great at is taking tech and showing people how to do it elegantly and in a way that is accessible. Oh, and they've got terribly good at making money doing it.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
I hate that picture. It's obvious (I think) that the notebook is being held a little way behind the guy's hand, which makes it appear smaller than it actually is. If I stood far enough back, you could fit my head in between his fingers from that viewpoint.

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Eh, there's a whole range of these ULV processor equipped small form factor laptops, and it's NOT netbook. Eg, Dell offers a very nice 12" Latitude E2400 for $2000+.

Why would anyone pay that much for a well built and attractive very small - yet still powerful enough machine, when you can get an atom crippled plastic POS for under $500? Boggles the mind!

Current Air can't compete here, maybe the future one will. Just don't expect lower prices, expect standard SSD's and other improvements instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.