[SOLVED] Is there an Intel official table of comparison for processors based on i# and generations?

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
I tried through Google, but I couldn't find

Is there an official table of comparison - of Intel itself - about Microprocessors? based on only i3,...i9 and the respective generations?
I want to see for example that i5 Gen 10 is the "same" than i7 Gen 3.

A friend told me that is not necessary buy a higher i# - is not the unique and necessarily the best option - it is possible buy a minor i# but with a higher generation.
Confirm pls it if is correct or not.

Thanks in advance

Solution
I vaguely get what you are saying. There isn't anything official.

You can look at general benchmarks on places like PassMark.

There is some truth there.

i7-7700, quad core hyperthreading, 8MB cache, base of 3.6Ghz, max boost of 4.2Ghz
i3-10100, quad core hyperthreading, 6MB cache, base of 3.6Ghz, max boost 4.3Ghz

But the difference there is cost. For the price of a 7700 back then, you can now get a i7-10700 with 8 cores, so double the performance for the same rough cost.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I vaguely get what you are saying. There isn't anything official.

You can look at general benchmarks on places like PassMark.

There is some truth there.

i7-7700, quad core hyperthreading, 8MB cache, base of 3.6Ghz, max boost of 4.2Ghz
i3-10100, quad core hyperthreading, 6MB cache, base of 3.6Ghz, max boost 4.3Ghz

But the difference there is cost. For the price of a 7700 back then, you can now get a i7-10700 with 8 cores, so double the performance for the same rough cost.

Reactions: KyaraM
Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The listings and Ark get you core counts and stats but not real world performance.

In my example above:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...el-i7-7700-vs-Intel-i3-10300/3717vs2905vs3765

The newer CPUs have the superior single thread performance, but the 7700 holds its own in multithreaded tasks, likely the effect of the larger cache.

But benchmarks are always conditional. Under those testing conditions is where it applies. There are also other factors like memory speed, storage speed, etc that can have impacts on specific tasks.

Reactions: Manuel Jordan

Awev

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
This might be easier if it was only apples to apples comparison, yet you might be comparing a granny smith apple to a tarty green apple to a honey crisp apple, to a . . . The sockets that the CPU fits in changes every generation or two with Intel, and has the CPU you are interested in been discontinued?

Not sure if what I post next will help or confuse the issue some, yet here goes: Tom's Hardware CPU Hierarchy for 2022

Why do you ask?
Are you looking to purchase?

The I-3/5/7/9 no longer indicates the presence of hyperthreading and the number of cores.
It is more of a general performance tier.
Your best bet to evaluate processors is to look up the passmark ratings.For example the I3-12100 processor has 8 threads and a rating of 14540.
That is when all 8 threads are fully busy. The single thread rating is 3550.
By comparison, the I7-9700K also has 8 threads but is a lesser single thread performer with a rating of 14561/2909.
What counts for gaming is the single thread performance.
You can also get an idea of single thread performance by looking at the cpu-Z bench single thread rating.
http://valid.x86.fr/bench/simj7f/1