Is there any difference in 2ms vs 5ms monitors for gaming and whats the best brand?

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Im stuck between a few monitors but some of the monitors are 5ms. i know 2ms is better but by how much anything noticeable, im coming from a 1280 x 1024 with a 16ms response time monitor, I play FPS games like BF4, COD etc so will i see a noticeable difference between the 2? I was also wondering who made the best monitors to game on, i heard it was ASUS so i have been looking into them but if there is different i would like to know?

Solution
It's a pretty big difference moving from a 16ms monitor, but not so much between 2 and 5, I don't know what your budget is, but if you can afford one, BenQ monitors are the MLG monitor of choice, and owning one myself, I absolutely love them. If you're big into tweitch based games, getting a 120Hz monitor is a good idea too, it will give you a noticable advantage in games.

BenQ XL2420T This is what I would recommend, although for 8 dollars more you could get the 2720T, which is what I have. Expensive, but worth it.

Pete_the_Puma

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
If you have a decent GPU I would recommend upgrading to a 1440p monitor @ 120 Hz refresh.

I am personally having trouble with the concept of faster refresh speed with fixed refresh rates and just posted a thread asking this question. What I mean is that even with a 120Hz refresh rate screen you are getting 120 frames per second, or one frame every 8.3 ms. So how is having any refresh speed of less than 8.3 ms beneficial at all if you are not going to see the next frame before 8.3 seconds anyway...

Based on this I would say there is NO difference between 5ms and 2ms refresh speed but I might be wrong. Perhaps it has to do with "strobing" where the frame is only displayed for that amount of time? I cant wait to hear some of the answers here. Some people will just say 2ms is better than 5ms without any explanation, I would be wary of those "experts".

P1nnacle

Distinguished
It's a pretty big difference moving from a 16ms monitor, but not so much between 2 and 5, I don't know what your budget is, but if you can afford one, BenQ monitors are the MLG monitor of choice, and owning one myself, I absolutely love them. If you're big into tweitch based games, getting a 120Hz monitor is a good idea too, it will give you a noticable advantage in games.

BenQ XL2420T This is what I would recommend, although for 8 dollars more you could get the 2720T, which is what I have. Expensive, but worth it.

Solution

TBC1

Honorable

60hz is fine, especially for your card (you will not be pumping out a 120 frames so 120hz is pointless and out of your budget).

P1nnacle

Distinguished
For your budget, that looks like a very good monitor. but I would recommend you look at these as they are more towards your price range and higher quality:
BenQ 21.5
BenQ 24

Personally, I would save up a bit more rather than rushing this purchase.

It's not that a person can see the difference between a 60 and 120 Hz screen, it's that a 120Hz monitor updates twice as fast, so you have better positioning of other players. This makes you more accurate, because you're shooting where the player actually is.

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

exactly my thoughts, i think 60hz is fine for me, but who makes the best monitors i Know BENQ does but they are way out of my price range but what about ASUS there is a few nice ones i found, like the one mentioned above and its only 129$ i count rebates

P1nnacle

Distinguished

That's not true, first off, I agree that 120Hz is bad based on his budget, but if you get more than 60 frames i.e. 61+, then there is a benefit to a 120Hz monitor, even if you don't reach 120 FPS.

P1nnacle

Distinguished

Just want to make sure that you saw my suggestions, there is a BenQ in there for 120 ish dollars.

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

I totally agree because on some games i do get 60+ fps just not 120 but what if i raised my budget to 150? What could i get then?

TBC1

Honorable

Asus, acer, dell, benq, samsung, viewsonic, all make good monitors.

asus - http://www.amazon.com/VS228H-P-22-Inch-Full-HD-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B005BZNDOO/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1382809881&sr=1-2

acer -http://www.amazon.com/Acer-G236HL-Bbd-23-Inch-LCD-Lit/dp/B0098Y77U0/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1382809919&sr=1-6

viewsonic - http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VA2246M-LED-22-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00D78QCYK/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1382809919&sr=1-3

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

That asus monitor was also in my top 3 i was looking at but the other two didnt have hdmi which is a requiremnt but otherwise they where okay im not a fan of the viewsonic

TBC1

Honorable

Yeah, not a big fan of viewsonic either. I'd just go with the asus, (for the price it's a good deal).

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

Is there a better one for 140$

UlfricStromclock

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013

BENQ XL2420TE ,

P1nnacle

Distinguished
I would say that BenQ is just a bit better, but in the end it really does just come down to budget. I would just point out that a monitor is usually more of a long term purchase, so you should plan to get one that will suite you for a couple years.

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

So just maybe i should wait and save for a 120hz one... quick question does pixel pitch matter?

P1nnacle

Distinguished
In your situation, I think you should upgrade to a faster 60Hz, it will be a noticable improvement, and a 120Hz monitor that cost 3-400 dollars might keep you waiting for a while. Pixel pitch does matter, but not so much for what you're buying.

P1nnacle

Distinguished

Again, that's not true, if you get above 60 FPS then you will see an improvement with a 120Hz monitor, even if you aren't getting 120FPS.