Question Is there any way around EDID giving me black screen

Aussie_Wolfhound

Prominent
Jul 12, 2022
Ok, i'll try to explain as best i can...

Because of certain medical conditions i have it's painful to walk these days, so i spend most of the day in my living room these days where i have a little setup infront of me.

My PC however is still in my bedroom because most of my stuff is there and there's no room for it in the living room anyway. What i did was get a HDMI splitter, a long high-speed HDMI cord and a long usb extension cable which now go up to the ceiling in my room, across the top of the ceiling cavity to where i am and then down through the ceiling to my little setup where the HDMI cord plugs into a 42 inch UHD tv that i'm using as a monitor because my vision is also not good.

For awhile i had been wondering why the picture on here didn't exactly look very eye-popping and then it dawned on me to check my PC settings to see if HDR was on and it wasn't... nor was it letting me turn it on. After a little while of trying this and that i finally noticed a switch on the splitter to turn EDID on and off and when i turned it on then the option to turn HDR on suddenly became available and the picture looked great again.

Only one thing though... when i have the EDID turned on then sometimes when i go to play one of my PC games it just comes up with a black screen on my UHD tv in the living room but still works fine on my tv in my room (that one is an LG CX which is a top of the line tv so i'm not surprised it still works on that, the one in my living room is a Hisense, which is a cheap brand but still fine for just using as a monitor)

To finally finish... does anyone know some method or trick or just someway to stop this happening so i can have EDID on so i can have HDR on on both tv's and not get this black screen issue on the Hisense?

Lutfij

Titan
If the issue is gone as soon as you tether directly to the system in your room(not the living room) then the issue is very likely the extensions used. How long are the lengths to the cables running from point A to point B? Got a link to the splitter used?

Aussie_Wolfhound

Prominent
Jul 12, 2022
If the issue is gone as soon as you tether directly to the system in your room(not the living room) then the issue is very likely the extensions used. How long are the lengths to the cables running from point A to point B? Got a link to the splitter used?
Thanks for the reply mate. I just quickly went and unplugged everything and connected the 10 meter long HDMI cord directly into my PC and then came back to my little setup here and it was only then i finally discovered something... my living room tv isn't UHD but FHD (max resolution 1080p) LOL, must have been the bad vision i mentioned because i swear it had UHD written on the box when i bought it at the store... oh well :(

It says it has a feature called Natural Colour Enhancer... do you know what that means? Tbh with it connected directly to the PC it's actually quite a decent picture... i had noticed that when it was connected to the splitter and i had EDID turned off then it was definitely not as bright as it is now.

Anyway i now have a conundrum... how do i have both tv's conected to my PC again at the same time but 2160p with HDR (btw i'm guessing 1080p tv's can't do HDR, right?) on my LG CX in my room AND the normal resolution on this one here?