Is there any way to get a static IP without getting the service through my ISP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex5857

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
My current ISP doesnt offer static IP to non business customers and i really dont want to switch my account for it.

I'm wondering if there are any services that offer a static ip through some sort of service.

The reason i need a static IP is because i do web work on a secure server that only allows a pre authorized list of IP addresses to connect to it, so having a dynamic IP isn't an option.

Solution
BTW, you might be able to use a service like provided by this company to establish a "fixed" IP:

http://www.noip.com/

However, I think my earlier posting should be sufficient for working from home.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your home router IP address is very unlikely to change once it is established. Providing your home router's external IP address to your IT folks should solve this problem. Of course, this will prevent you from doing work from the local coffee shop.

It will likely be cheaper and simpler to just pay your ISP to give you a static ip even if that means calling it a business account.

The only other way you are going to get this is to use a VPN or PROXY service. Some of the larger providers of these services do allow you to have a static IP for a price. In a way it is a hosting service that is hosting the router and not a server. Although that too is a option you could "rent" a server from a hosting service and use a remote terminal session to then access your end site.

It is very strange for a site to use IP for security. If they want to be very secure they use a token authentication method or at least they use certificates along with a userid and password. Just using the method I described above you can bypass the IP and now the security is only as good as the password on the vpn/proxy/hosting service. Many times these hosting services are used for exactly that purpose to bypass ip restrictions or share accounts.

kkopriva

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
I was looking exactly for the VPN service which provide static IP connection because my local ISP here in Czech republic doesn't offer static IP address accessible from the entire internet. They only assign private IPs like 10.x.x.x so I was unable to access my home security camera system and control my house remotely. There are quite a few providers offering static IP over VPN and you can search google for them. I found one (http://vpnstaticip.com) offering Czech Static IP address alongside US UK and other European countries the price I pay monthly fee around $9... quite a happy with that. Of course it's better to buy IP from your ISP but if they don't offer it there is no other way than static IP via VPN connection. Good luck ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.