Is there any way to update Win 8 to 10 with just a serial number (not installed)?

Astralv

Distinguished
I bought Windows 8.0 Pro few years ago at a full price planning to build a desktop but did not have a chance to do it. Now I have unopened Win 8 Pro. Is there any way to update it to W10 without installing it? Like enter the serial and get W10 serial for my future computer?
Thank you.

Solution

It must be done from a qualifying OS, in an actual running system. The 'license key', or rather 'digital entitlement', for the Win 10 Upgrade is a hash of your existing qualifying OS license and info from the system hardware. Which you don't yet have.

It's been a year. The end date for the free Upgrade has been known from the beginning.

This is not a permanent, never ending free for all.

USAFRet

Titan

Only if you do it on that new system in the next two days.
You can't upgrade that license and stash it for a future PC.

Astralv

Distinguished
Ok, having a tantrum. Why? I mean- why, Microsoft? It is my licensed Win 8, how come we can not upgrade?

So what's the work around?

Do you think there will be a value in Win 8.0 in 5 years for some strange person who still insists on using Win 8?

USAFRet

Titan

It must be done from a qualifying OS, in an actual running system. The 'license key', or rather 'digital entitlement', for the Win 10 Upgrade is a hash of your existing qualifying OS license and info from the system hardware. Which you don't yet have.

It's been a year. The end date for the free Upgrade has been known from the beginning.

This is not a permanent, never ending free for all.

Solution