Is there anywhere else to buy Dell Laptop Batteries?

I need a new battery for my Inspiron 8000 laptop. It's still in
warranty, but Dell says the batteries are only covered for a year...
and the battery is completely shot.

Anyway, is there a cheaper place to buy the batteries than from Dell?

Does anyone know about how much the batteries are from Dell? (I called
them and was on hold forever and finally hung up.)

Thanks for any help,
Dan

Tim

http://www.pacificbattery.com/ This place has them. Laptop batteries
are not cheap. Tim
"Dan Graves" <dg@jjgoeiwkdxl.net> wrote in message
> I need a new battery for my Inspiron 8000 laptop. It's still in
> warranty, but Dell says the batteries are only covered for a year...
> and the battery is completely shot.
>
> Anyway, is there a cheaper place to buy the batteries than from Dell?
>
> Does anyone know about how much the batteries are from Dell? (I called
> them and was on hold forever and finally hung up.)
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Dan

dell.com, home/small office, software & perpherals, parts for my dell,
inspiron, 8000...
and you will find available an 8 cell lithium-ion 66whr (long run time)
battery on sale for $153 free shipping no tax collected for most states.
http://tinyurl.com/3crw7
or a company called igo.com also has them but the warranty is no better
(both 30day return, one year warranty)...
for $199 pus shipping (no mention of type other than "lithium ion")
http://tinyurl.com/2fpx7
for $149 plus shipping for a 3800mah lithium ion battery
http://tinyurl.com/3dp26
you could also shop ebay at your own risk... and there you may find people
selling the 4 cell 26whrl type batteries that do fit the machine but provide
half the run time.

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 13:08:12 -0400, Dan Graves <dg@jjgoeiwkdxl.net> wrote:

>I need a new battery for my Inspiron 8000 laptop. It's still in
>warranty, but Dell says the batteries are only covered for a year...
>and the battery is completely shot.
>
>Anyway, is there a cheaper place to buy the batteries than from Dell?
>
>Does anyone know about how much the batteries are from Dell? (I called
>them and was on hold forever and finally hung up.)
>
>Thanks for any help,
>Dan

I suppose there are a lot of battery sites out there but you might
look at this one:
http://www.portablecomponents.com/site/content/ListProducts.asp?lb=bm

Jack Mac

If you buy other than from Dell, be sure of the date of manufacture - you
don't want old-stock batteries.
Lithium ion batteries degrade over time whether or not they're used - a year
old battery may have half its useful life over with, even if it's never been
used.

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> If you buy other than from Dell, be sure of the date of manufacture - you
> don't want old-stock batteries.
> Lithium ion batteries degrade over time whether or not they're used - a
> year
> old battery may have half its useful life over with, even if it's never
> been
> used.

Edward,

Here is a link which essentially confirms your statment, although according
to the grid, it is not quite as bad as 50% after one year:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

-- Jay

"Jay Bollyn" <jbollyn@neiu.edu> wrote in message
> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> > If you buy other than from Dell, be sure of the date of manufacture -
you
> > don't want old-stock batteries.
> > Lithium ion batteries degrade over time whether or not they're used - a
> > year
> > old battery may have half its useful life over with, even if it's never
> > been
> > used.
>
> Edward,
>
> Here is a link which essentially confirms your statment, although
according
> to the grid, it is not quite as bad as 50% after one year:
>
> http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
>
> -- Jay

His quote was:

<paste>

"...- a
> year
> old battery may have half its useful life over with, even if it's never
> been
> used.

<end>

The operative qualifier in his statement is "may".

Stew

TRENDING THREADS