Question Is there no way to stop automatic updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

techantifa

Prominent
Jun 17, 2023
I've been a longtime Windows 8 user, and on that OS it was extremely simple to just disable automatic updates. I hadn't had an update for years and it was amazing. I know a lot of you will have a borderline moral objection to this, so I have to write this big disclaimer. If you want the updates, fine. All I can say is I never got hacked or got any infection during that time because I know what I'm doing. Either way, on my own personal computer I should have the right to do what I want, and apparently Windows semi-understood this up until Windows 10. But now they've basically implemented full-on corporate authoritarianism where you don't even have the right to stop your computer from restarting whenever Microsoft remotely decides that it should. And it's cost me a lot of my data. Any thing stored in temporary memory is destroyed, my files get corrupted, and I've had to rebuild browser sessions and other projects from scratch. This is not right. If none of that bothers or scares you, fine, but I'm asking for help from people who understand where I'm coming from.

Now to my question. I've tried pretty much everything. I don't even care if it updates when I happen to shut the computer off, I just don't want it to interrupt my work to do it. I know you can disable updates for up to 7 days, but then it doesn't allow you to pause again, like it's literally your nanny or something. You can disable it for a longer period of time but again, you can only do it once and it only lets you do it up to a couple weeks. I've actually tried changing the date to months ahead of time, and then doing the two week update pause from that date, then changing the date back again. I thought I found the solution but it literally does nothing. It still says that updates are disabled until December 2023, but yet it still keeps updating and restarting. It's done it like three times since then. It just ignores it.

I've tried disabling the update service in services.msc, but it just turns it back on again unless you disable the Windows Update medic, which you can't even as an admin. I've downloaded nsudo in order to disable it, but the updates still manage to happen. I've even created a number of new registry keys as suggested by various websites. I can't even remember what they were but if you give me a suggested key to create I can tell you if I already have it or not. I think I've done them all. Again, it just gets ignored. The updates always happen no matter what you do. Is there really no way to do this? It's hard for me to imagine.

The only thing I've actually had any success with is downloading an autoclicker and remembering to put it on every time I leave the computer, but it's very difficult to remember to do that. I will say though ,if I'm not able to find a more elegant solution, i will be doing that meticulously from here on out. I am so sick of this and I'm not gonna lose any more data or accept this insanity any more.

Thanks for any help.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Any thing stored in temporary memory is destroyed, my files get corrupted, and I've had to rebuild browser sessions and other projects from scratch. This is not right. If none of that bothers or scares you, fine, but I'm asking for help from people who understand where I'm coming from.
Windows will alert you prior to a restart, so you should know that it’s about to happen. Since Windows alerts you prior to a restart, it sounds like you are leaving files open for extended periods of time - which is a poor practice. You should regularly save files and close them when not working - this is a best practice.

I never got hacked or got any infection
That doesn’t mean it won’t happen.

I know what I'm doing
Windows updates typically take less than 30 minutes, unless you have an extremely slow system. What you should do is take a break from your work and do the restart whenever you have a chance.

Jun 17, 2023
Don't listen to the control freaks. Windows is yours and you can mismanage it as much as you want. I for example have turned off updates. Ill tell you how.

If you have Windows 10 Pro, open gpedit.msc (Either by just typing it in the startmenu or by doing Windows key+R and then typing it)

Its hard to describe whats there with my windows being in another language so ill give you a link to a Youtube video that shows it. It's just 2 minutes, i would click "apply" instead of just "ok" though.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ySDS_u5Uqc

If you have Windows 10 Home instead, you still want to use gpedit.msc but now you have to find a way to install it. (Since its only meant for the Pro edition). I haven't used this method since i have the Pro edition but it seems legit and from a thrustworthy site.

It seems to be that they are using a powershell or CMD command but automated for simplicity into a batch file.
After you got gpedit.msc working just follow the windows 10 pro part and windows update should be disabled.

You can check if it worked if the windows update screen has "pause updates for 7 days" greyed out and a line talking about how your organisation has disabled automatic updates.

I assume its obvious but you are that organisation so just unconfigure the gpedit entry you changed and everything goes back to normal if for some reason you want automatic updates again.

USAFRet

Titan
Don't listen to the control freaks. Windows is yours and you can mismanage it as much as you want. I for example have turned off updates. Ill tell you how.
From the OP comment:
"I don't even care if it updates when I happen to shut the computer off, I just don't want it to interrupt my work to do it."

He is not opposed to Updates, just wants control over when they happen.

The above replies state how to do exactly that.

Jun 17, 2023
From the OP comment:
"I don't even care if it updates when I happen to shut the computer off, I just don't want it to interrupt my work to do it."

He is not opposed to Updates, just wants control over when they happen.

The above replies state how to do exactly that.
My solution would disable automatic updates, not manual updates. And no your replies didn't say that at all.
There were 3 comments, out of those 3 comments they contained:
3x "We know better, automatic updates are good for you"
2x "Set out some time every once in a while and just deal with it" <- This is also just not helpful since he said in his post that he knew how to extend it but that didn't like doing that. Plus that it may be broken for him.
1x "Leaving files open overnight is bad practice and its your fault"

Really Constructive and helpful replies(y)

Also that quote from OP was obviously a form of bargaining, that he would even settle for updates after he shut the pc off. I know this because in the second sentence he was gushing about how great it was to not get any update for years.

All I can say is I never got hacked or got any infection during that time because I know what I'm doing.
Hacking doesn't have to have any obviously visible evidence. For instance, someone could've used a vulnerability, which bypasses security checks, to install a key logger. So unless you've been scrutinizing your networking traffic or your process list every hour, you'd never know about it.

Reactions: Cj-tech
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS