[SOLVED] Is There Something Wrong With Either The Motherboard And/Or The CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomikDjakareh_32G

Prominent
Aug 25, 2022
So... the DeepCool AK400 WH tower cooler arrived today, I made sure it was installed as securely as possible...

Went into the UEFI and set CPU's PL1 to 115W and PL2 to 180W for 56 seconds...

The cooler can handle TDPs of up to 220W... so it's fine...

However, the motherboard apparently refuses to let the CPU draw more than 140W for a split second...
And its power draw, during a standard CineBench R23 run, will stay in the 100 to 125W range 99% of the time.

I've checked the temperatures using HWInfo64, VRM and CPU temps are well below the safe limits...

VRMs won't go past 58 to 60ºC...
CPU cores will max out at 65ºC...

So there is no thermal throttling of any kind whatsoever.

Is there something wrong.. or is it just that CB R23 isn't as strong as a workload and therefore doesn't require that much processing power?

Maybe I'm nitpicking too much... But I've seen others with the same processors scoring 10100+ points in CB R23, while my highest after a 10 minute run was... wait for it.... 9990 points.

In PassMark it scored 18512 points... well beyond the 17071 listed in PassMark's website.

So... the DeepCool AK400 WH tower cooler arrived today, I made sure it was installed as securely as possible...

Went into the UEFI and set CPU's PL1 to 115W and PL2 to 180W for 56 seconds...

The cooler can handle TDPs of up to 220W... so it's fine...

However, the motherboard apparently refuses to let the CPU draw more than 140W for a split second...
And its power draw, during a standard CineBench R23 run, will stay in the 100 to 125W range 99% of the time.

I've checked the temperatures using HWInfo64, VRM and CPU temps are well below the safe limits...

VRMs won't go past 58 to 60ºC...
CPU cores will max out at 65ºC...

So there is no thermal throttling of any kind whatsoever.

Is there something wrong.. or is it just that CB R23 isn't as strong as a workload and therefore doesn't require that much processing power?

Maybe I'm nitpicking too much... But I've seen others with the same processors scoring 10100+ points in CB R23, while my highest after a 10 minute run was... wait for it.... 9990 points.

In PassMark it scored 18512 points... well beyond the 17071 listed in PassMark's website.
Knowing the phantom CPU and motherboard involved would help.

Reactions: AtomikDjakareh_32G

AtomikDjakareh_32G

Prominent
Aug 25, 2022
First I wish to thank everyone in this forum for all the tips and quick replies.
It appears thermal paste does need some time to reach its peak efficiency.

Now I believe this processor has reached its highest possible performance with this motherboard.

10216 points in multi-core;
1402 points in single-core.

Awesome. Once again thanks everyone for the help and tips!

Latest CineBench R23 Scores...

Status
Not open for further replies.