Question Is there something wrong with this Core i9 -12900K system?

NexusFred

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2015
Hello,
I'm trying to build a new PC for Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign , Dimension and After Effect and I have some doubts.

INTEL CORE I9-12900K
NOCTUA NH-D15
MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi
2 Packs of Trident Z5 - F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5K or Ripjaws S5 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-RS5K (depends on the space left by the NOCTUA)
Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 3070 Ti MASTER 8G
Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 1
SEASONIC FOCUS GX-1000
APC Back-UPS BX2200MI - 2200VA

Is there something wrong with this system?

By the way I'm looking for a good silent PC Case for this system. :D

Thanks

Reactions: Why_Me
Yes.

Ram must be matched for proper operation. 2 packs will not do it.
Go to the g.skil ram selection app and find a single kit that meets your needs.NH-D15 has a limitation with tall ram.
NH-D15s has no such limitation.

No case with fans can ever be truly silent.
Cases are a personal thing; buy one you love.
For best cooling, look for a case with two or three 140mm front intakes. 200mm is even better.
Larger fans move more air quietly and good airflow is essential for good cooling.
Fractal design torrent, for example:
https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-torrent-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352148?quicklink=true
or Lian li lancool215 for starters:
https://www.newegg.com/p/2AM-000Z-00089

Last edited:

DavidM012

Distinguished
ROG also says don't mix 2 kits of ddr 5 memory

The Samsung PRO has moved along to 990 pro - Review - if you want to keep up to the minute

An RX 6800 has the edge over a 3070 ti: Comparison - for about the same price.

And while the i9-12900k tops the charts for what you want to do - you could do the same tasks with a ddr4 ryzen build which while not as buff, would probably be cheaper.

The 12900KS edges over the 12900K in the Puget systems benchmark.

Silent cases - That's rather subjective. Breathe lightly! There can be only one and you can't try them all so looking at comparative reviews is all there is to go on. Be Quiets seem to be the best reviewed if you want to pay a premium for a modern atx case.

The Noctua cooler will help a lot and the fans and mount points and space included with the case are what's quieter. It can only be as quiet as the loudest fan.

Could you delve into it and start micromanaging each fan individually and buying the best quality quietest fans for the most expense, not entirely sure that you can simply buy a freakin' case with no fans and then optionally include quiet ones of your choice anyway. Which means digging up reviews even for premium fans too.

There is a market there but not a simple at a glance there is an easy instant answer market.

When you buy a case you probably have to buy whatever they've bundled with it too. Which means pay the premium for the brand.

Not my favorite thing but suck is all there is. A basic atx case might be $30-40 dollars while a premium one which is actually quiet with tidy cables is $150. Don't know about the middle ground haven't had the luxury to try all sorts of things.

The answer is, it depends:

If you want to be sure the memory works don't mix 2 kits. If you want the fastest CPU for it, the KS. If you want the quietest reviewed case for it that we know of at the moment, the internet says Be Quiet. The 6800xt is a better gpu than the 3070ti.

If you can deal with lower benchmark scores for a cheaper price, clearly zen 3 punches above it's class in some apps but still you might not like waiting around for tasks to complete. Basically the 12900k or ks is the premium experience.

NexusFred

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2015
@geofelt @DavidM012, thanks a lot for your replies :D

I do not intend to mix 2 different type of ram but to use 4 "Trident Z5 - F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5K" (64Go in total)
or 4 "Ripjaws S5 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-RS5K" (64Go in total)

@geofelt , I see you run a Core i9-12900K with a NH-D15s. Did you have some heat issue when the CPU is at 100%? A single fan seems a little weak.

@DavidM012, The RX 6800 seams to be a good alternative and more easy to insert into a "Be Quiet! Dark Base 700" or "Be Quiet! Pure Base 500DX". I may change the "Gigabyte 3070Ti" to "Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 6800 XT OC Gaming 16GB" or "Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 6800 XT OC SE 16GB" (I don't know witch one is better).

I don't think you understand the mixing of ram. It is not just the brand and type, but also
You want a single matched kit of the capacity you want.By matching, I mean one single kit with the included ram being matched. You are looking for a 2 x 32gb kit.
Yes, it will be more expensive than two kits of the same ram totaling up to the same capacity.
Looking at the g.skil ram configurator for your motherboard, I find these compatible selections:
https://www.gskill.com/configurator?page=1&cls=1529635169&adSearch2=Memory_Type§DDR5,Capacity§64GB+(32GBx2),Multi-Channel_Kit§Dual+Channel+Kit,Tested_Speed§6000+MT/s,&manufacturer=1524715120&chipset=1635734554&model=1635736053
Intel is dual channel only, so there is no advantage in a 4 stick kit vs. 2. In fact, there are no 4 stick kits on the list.
Then, also, heat spreaders and rgb are mostly marketing.Low profile ram will clear many coolers.
Just looking, you can tell.
Corsair will have similar options.
Give corsair or g.skil support a call.

You seem to want the very best and have the means to pay for it.
Go for it.
But, realize that absent a synthetic benchmark, you are not likely to tell the difference between 64gb of 3200 speed DDR4 and 64gb of 6000 DDR5.
And, why buy a 12900k when a lesser prices 13600K will outperform it.
Consider that a stronger cpu that is loafing is going to be quieter.

To answer your question, My cpu runs at 100% only when running a cpu-Z stress test.
I use cpu-z on the theory(unconfirmed) that the mix of instructions is more like normal apps.
I did some research, and adding another 120mm front fan would benefit some 2%.
I have such a fan, but I did not bother to try it.

You might want to read this article on slow vs. fast ram for gamers:
I do not know if there are flaws in the study.

Reactions: NexusFred

NexusFred

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2015
@geofelt Ok I understand about the ram. I thought the dual channel was no longer relevant.
So 2x32Go will be better.

I'm not a fan of DDR5, all the reviews I've read don't reveal any real difference between DDR4 and DDR5 except the price :p
The challenge is to find an alternative to the "MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi" that still available. Every time I find one, it's no longer available.
Did you have any suggestion about it ?

@DavidM012 ; thank you, I was so focused on finding the right one, that I didn't pause my brain to think for 2 secs, SE = Second Edition....lol

DavidM012

Distinguished
whoops the link merged into one but didn't on the preview. Anyway they are apparently identical specs. SE could mean second or special edition- the sapphire blurb doesn't explain however I seem to remember that sometimes SE was used on some 'lite' version of something but that isn't what it means here. So it's probably either second or special edition. Which might just be some logo or something, I've scrutinized it for a difference but don't see it yet!

I have no preference as to brands.
Look for the specs you want.
Where are you shopping?

Z690 and Z770 motherboards will come in both DDR4 and DDR5 flavors.
The chipsets include wifi. If you need wifi, check for that. The cheaper boards will not have the wifi support. Even without motherboard wifi, you can always buy an add in card or a usb dongle for wifi.

NexusFred

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2015
@geofelt , @DavidM012 , thanks for all the informations

Now I have two different systems, one in DDR5 and another in DDR4.

DDR5 System
INTEL Core i9-13900K​
NOCTUA NH-D15​
MSI MPG Z790 Carbon WiFi​
Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 3070 Ti MASTER 8G cooler​
G-SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz (2x32)​
Samsung SSD 990 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 1​
Be Quiet! DARK POWER 12 1000W​
Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev.2​

DDR4 System
INTEL CORE I9-12900K​
NOCTUA NH-D15​
Gigabyte z690 Aero G DDR4​
Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 3070 Ti MASTER 8G cooler​
G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16D-64GVK DDR4​
Samsung SSD 990 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 1​
Corsair HX1000i 80 PLUS Platinum, 1000 Watt​
Be Quiet! Silent Base 802​
Price and availability will make the difference

DavidM012

Distinguished
The 13900k has about a 15% edge over the 12900k in Adobe and a bit more in other apps - Puget systems

Both rigs will work great for your stated purpose however there is something about ddr 5 - I guess it simply isn't optimized at the moment because it's so new.

You were persuaded to go with 2x32gb dimms rather than mix 2x2x16gb dimm kits for compatibility reasons but the article states that 4x16gb is 2.5% faster than 2x32gb dimms that are supported. So there is no way to get that 2.5% without deviating from QVL (memory support list) memory compliance. Which may or may not work. Not something you really want to experiment with since you don't have access to a variety of hardware to test.

'Of course, it is very possible - and even likely - that using even higher speed RAM like 5200MHz or 5600MHz with tighter timings could give a small performance boost. But, the goal of this testing was to determine if the various RAM speeds supported by the Intel 12th Gen CPUs would have any impact on performance in these applications and workflows. And for that specific question, we can very conclusively say that outside a few very specific circumstances, RAM speed doesn't matter.'

So you could use ddr 5 (and the ddr5 version mobo) with your 12900k build also but to get the optimal configuration with ddr 5 of 4x16gb, this configuration memory does not seem to be available yet.

As far as information is concerned- It's worth a look around to see what else you could get for a similar price but you'll have to settle for something eventually, since there can be only one.

The principle technical improvement of ddr 5 is higher capacity. You could use up to 256gb modules with it, however you'll probably never use that much. It is overall faster than ddr 4 but only by 2%-9% in some scenarios.

If you buy a ddr 4 board now however, you'd have to switch out the board again if you wanted to use ddr 5 if any compelling reason emerged, such as future software updates that may or may not occur any time soon. Things are unclear because ddr 5 is an emerging market.

So overall the 13900k / ddr 5 is technically a certain % more buff than the 12900k/ddr 4 combo - but whether it's worth the price difference?

You could also use ddr 4 memory with the 13900k if you simply don't trust that ddr 5 will be useful in future. I haven't seen any documentation yet that's really decisive between ddr 4 or 5, besides the cost.

If you just go 13900k /ddr 5, well you won't have to do anything later on once software is updated or optimized for it - if it ever in reality happens.

Last edited:

NexusFred

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2015
@DavidM012.

The 13900k to be faster need a Z790 chipset is faster Intel Core i9-13900K May Be up to 25% Slower on ASUS Z690 Motherboards (vs. Z790) So it will be the DDR5 version ( can't find any Z790 with DDR4).

The 6800xt Nitro+ SE is faster but not with Photoshop or After Effect: AMD vs NVIDIA Graphics Card

For ram I have a slight preference for DDR4 (64GB max). It is a well-known and cheaper technology with a similar result.

The price difference between the two systems is close to €700 (internet price. Can be even more expensive in stores).

I hesitate between a safe and proven system (DDR4) and a more powerful system (DDR5), ready for further improvements but not yet mature.

DavidM012

Distinguished
I wouldn't let a 42 point score in a benchmark influence the gpu decision if the price is sharp since the 6800xt is faster otherwise. But that's all your choice. It's not much of a difference to be worried about.

Considering the 13900k I probably would stack up all the other % differences which probably amount to something, a few % on the memory, a few % on the cpu however you do pay that 700 more.

You can get z790 ddr4 - (only an example, not a recommendation) - gigabyte and you could put a 12900k on it with ddr 4 if you want to cut costs a bit however there isn't that much between 12th & 13 gen cpu so it's probably mostly the ddr 5 memory that's costing more.

So it's either go all buff with ddr 5, or the tail end of the ddr4 market. The formula is basically pay for every mhz and % improvement.

So there isn't anything technically wrong with either choice, simply that the newest one is a bit more buff for considerably more.

Last edited: