Is this a dead or stuck pixel?

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
I just got a replacement gaming monitor today because the other one had 4 dead pixels near the center of my screen. This one is almost perfect except for the fact that it has 1 stuck or dead pixel in the very middle of the screen. I came to the pros on here to help me understand if this is stuck(fixable), or dead(permanently gone). On a red background, the pixel is black. On a white background, the pixel becomes a baby blue. On a black, green, and blue background, it blends in completely. So is this dead or stuck?

Solution
Sounds like the red subpixel is dead / stuck black. You could try 'massaging' the pixel to break a short or restore a broken contact which may be causing it. Most of the time though, a dead/stuck pixel either stays dead/stuck or if you manage to revive it by whatever means, it'll go dead again a short while later and won't necessarily come back with further 'treatment'.

If you don't want to deal with LCDs that have stuck or dead pixels, buy a monitor that comes with a perfect panel guarantee. Cheap monitors are usually built around surplus and reject panels with loose quality guarantees. For some vendors, you need 3-4 stuck-on or flickery pixels clumped together near the center of the screen to qualify for warranty replacement. If...

offroadguy56

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I'm not sure. Have you tried some software solutions? I think some websites exist that claim they can help fix dead or stuck pixels. Usually by flashing the screen with a bunch of colors to wake the pixel up.

Good luck.

InvalidError

Titan
Sounds like the red subpixel is dead / stuck black. You could try 'massaging' the pixel to break a short or restore a broken contact which may be causing it. Most of the time though, a dead/stuck pixel either stays dead/stuck or if you manage to revive it by whatever means, it'll go dead again a short while later and won't necessarily come back with further 'treatment'.

If you don't want to deal with LCDs that have stuck or dead pixels, buy a monitor that comes with a perfect panel guarantee. Cheap monitors are usually built around surplus and reject panels with loose quality guarantees. For some vendors, you need 3-4 stuck-on or flickery pixels clumped together near the center of the screen to qualify for warranty replacement. If they're scattered, the requirement can increase to 10+.

Solution

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018

Thanks for this reply. This monitor is a 450 dollar gaming monitor so I would expect it to have a perfect panel anyway. Do you have any good monitor suggestions that are 144-240hz with gsync that are around 200-400 dollars with this, "perfect panel guarantee?"

InvalidError

Titan
You aren't going to find affordable gsync monitors simply because the proprietary gsync scaler module that goes into them adds as much as $200 to the price and this increases to ~$500 for the first generation of gsync HDR modules. Basically, this means your $450 monitor really is a ~$250 monitor with a ~$200 module crammed into it. Not as much budget for premium parts as the retail price tag implies.

I'd simply skip the gsync tax and go plain 120+Hz refresh. As for what gaming monitor brands have perfect panel guarantees, I have no idea. I use my PC mostly for non-gaming and the last two monitors I have purchased are Dell UltraSharp. Speaking of which, the older of the two developed an entire column of stuck-on pixels at some point that I didn't notice until long after the warranty expired since I use that monitor mainly to read/write documents and the defect column happened to land in the margins which are always white anyway. Just shows how even paying a $100+ premium for a premium panel still is no guarantee of no latent defect.