Is This A Good $425 Dollar Build?

Clifton Clendenen

Honorable
May 25, 2013
Hello I was wondering If this is a good build for a gaming pc. I want to make a computer that can atleast run gta iv so yeah. And how many fps do you think I could get on gta iv with this build?

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 (Quad-Core) 3.4ghz
GPU:Geforce GT640 4GB
RAM:6GB PNY 1600mhz
HDD: Caviar Blue 500GB 7200rpm
MOTHERBOARD: ECS Elitegroup AM3
CASE: Logisys Case with 480W PSU
PSU:480W PSU Included With Case.

The GeForce GT 640 4GB is more of a *gimmick* card than anything else. It gets whomped really bad by an HD7750, much less a Radeon HD 7770 (which is the appropriate price point for the 4GB card).

Not sure what to think about an ECS mobo ... could ultimately give you trouble. Same with the Logisys PSU.

Svnryn

Honorable
May 17, 2013

Hey man, I made a few changes for you that will offer a better upgrade path down the road. Also as far as cases with PSU's go, I'd stick to Rosewill as they're PSU's tend to be pretty solid. Follow the link below to see the parts. Comes in around $465 and will be far better than what you currently have listed. Hope this helps.

NOTE: If you have a Microcenter near you, you can get the processor and motherboard bundled for $40 off.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1fh1w

That's a great build .... something like the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 AM3+
for $6-$7 more would make it even better :D

You could even save a few bucks with the PhII 965BE you originally selected ... maybe snag an Asus M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ or some after-market cooling.