Question Is this a good budget case for my build?

Mytic

Commendable
Oct 23, 2019
I'm trying to cheap down on my case as the current one i have chosen is 55 pounds and it's the Gamemax Kamikaze Pro, I'm trying to lower the cost of my whole build and wondering if this would be a good case to buy for airflow etc. Would this be a good case for airflow for my build as i don't want it to get too hot.
Case - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N97YION?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Build - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Mytic/saved/#view=gqmskL

Edit:
Now gone for this case due to bad review on previous
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/nhgQzy/gamemax-titan-rgb-atx-mid-tower-case-titan-black-rgb

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The case doesn't appear to be bad. Focus G is a similar case that is also excellent in that price bracket.
However I'd get rid of the PSU as there are much better quality. The TXM is substantially better and is currently on an excellent price - just my take here:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£119.00 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£64.85 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN TUF Gaming Allian 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£59.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card (£249.98 @ Box Limited)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case (£47.24 @ More Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£63.97 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £665.02
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-16 21:30 GMT+0000

You can also just go a standard 2.5 SSD if you want rather than the M.2 as there are some a bit cheaper.

Mytic

Commendable
Oct 23, 2019
The case doesn't appear to be bad. Focus G is a similar case that is also excellent in that price bracket.
However I'd get rid of the PSU as there are much better quality. The TXM is substantially better and is currently on an excellent price - just my take here:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£64.85 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN TUF Gaming Allian 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£59.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card (£249.98 @ Box Limited)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case (£47.24 @ More Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£63.97 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £665.02
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-16 21:30 GMT+0000

You can also just go a standard 2.5 SSD if you want rather than the M.2 as there are some a bit cheaper.
m2 is alot better and faster apparently, and also that ram i'm not sure about as it's got mixed reviews, gonna stick with the gamemax case as it comes with 3 fans and looks better.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
m2 is alot better and faster apparently
Only true in artificial benchmarks for most users, thus why I recommended considering a normal SATA. It's great for not having any wires, but as far as actual speed goes, 99% of users will not encounter a noticeable difference. Especially not in gaming or load up times etc.

Even then remember that M2 is only the form factor, not the interface. There are SATA M2 and NVMe M2 with the SATA M2 being capped to the same bandwidth as any SATA SSD. And the NVMe uses the PCIe interface, which is a much bigger bandwidth, but in real application, the speed difference for the user is negligible unless say you're doing huge data usage in movie editing or NVMe to NVMe data transfer for example.

Team Vulcan are a perfectly fine RAM manufacturer like most others, but it's only a few pounds difference.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£62.12 @ Amazon UK)
Case: GameMax Titan RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (£48.94 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £668.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-16 21:45 GMT+0000

Just don't go poor quality on the PSU :) The TXM above is excellent quality in comparison to any GameMax PSU.

Mytic

Commendable
Oct 23, 2019
Only true in artificial benchmarks for most users, thus why I recommended considering a normal SATA. It's great for not having any wires, but as far as actual speed goes, 99% of users will not encounter a noticeable difference. Especially not in gaming or load up times etc.

Even then remember that M2 is only the form factor, not the interface. There are SATA M2 and NVMe M2 with the SATA M2 being capped to the same bandwidth as any SATA SSD. And the NVMe uses the PCIe interface, which is a much bigger bandwidth, but in real application, the speed difference for the user is negligible unless say you're doing huge data usage in movie editing or NVMe to NVMe data transfer for example.

Team Vulcan are a perfectly fine RAM manufacturer like most others, but it's only a few pounds difference.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£62.12 @ Amazon UK)
Case: GameMax Titan RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (£48.94 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £668.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-16 21:45 GMT+0000

Just don't go poor quality on the PSU :) The TXM above is excellent quality in comparison to any GameMax PSU.
Yeah i'll look into getting a normal SSD then i guess, WOuld you say the gamemax is a good case though?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah i'll look into getting a normal SSD then i guess, WOuld you say the gamemax is a good case though?
It's just a consideration, if there is no price difference, don't worry. But you can often find (in the UK at least) 2.5 SSDs that are better value for money. So just worth considering that's all. Other than that the Crucial MX is perfectly good.

It appears to be decent enough. Can't see any major problems with it. The only things to consider with it is the RGB fans are only 3 pin, so you'd need to connect them to the fan controller on the I/O to control fan speed.

However airflow in that case is pretty good and I hear the fans aren't too loud too.

But I know the TXM is much preferable over the GameMax PSU from a quality perspective.
That and RGB in a PSU makes me shudder :)

Mytic

Commendable
Oct 23, 2019
It's just a consideration, if there is no price difference, don't worry. But you can often find (in the UK at least) 2.5 SSDs that are better value for money. So just worth considering that's all. Other than that the Crucial MX is perfectly good.

It appears to be decent enough. Can't see any major problems with it. The only things to consider with it is the RGB fans are only 3 pin, so you'd need to connect them to the fan controller on the I/O to control fan speed.

However airflow in that case is pretty good and I hear the fans aren't too loud too.

But I know the TXM is much preferable over the GameMax PSU from a quality perspective.
That and RGB in a PSU makes me shudder :)
Yeah i only considered the gamemax PSU due to it seeming like a good deal, 80+ gold, 600w, full modular but yeah. Would you say the above ssd is good for the price?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah i only considered the gamemax PSU due to it seeming like a good deal, 80+ gold, 600w, full modular but yeah. Would you say the above ssd is good for the price?
It's reasonable, however you're correct in that I'd probably opt for the MX500 over it.
The MX500 also has a standard SATA SSD version which is usually a bit cheaper.

I understand the GameMax element, unfortunately the gold is only a reflection on efficiency, and from what I can see, it doesn't offer the same level of quality, or power from the 12V rail for example, and the TXM is an excellent PSU, so for the same price, it's a no brainer. TXM also has a 7 year warranty.

Mytic

Commendable
Oct 23, 2019
It's reasonable, however you're correct in that I'd probably opt for the MX500 over it.
The MX500 also has a standard SATA SSD version which is usually a bit cheaper.

I understand the GameMax element, unfortunately the gold is only a reflection on efficiency, and from what I can see, it doesn't offer the same level of quality, or power from the 12V rail for example, and the TXM is an excellent PSU, so for the same price, it's a no brainer. TXM also has a 7 year warranty.
The Sata version is 57.60 whereas the m2 is 59.99 and i assume it would probably go cheaper on black friday. Should i just opt for the M2?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The Sata version is 57.60 whereas the m2 is 59.99 and i assume it would probably go cheaper on black friday. Should i just opt for the M2?
May as well, no cables is worth £2.00
Not sure what will appear on Black Friday but hopefully it might be discounted as it's not necessarily one of the most sought after SSDs.

Typically the best M2s considered can be ones such as:
Intel 660p
Crucial P1
Samsung 970

But you pay the price (especially for the Samsung).

Mytic

Commendable
Oct 23, 2019
May as well, no cables is worth £2.00
Not sure what will appear on Black Friday but hopefully it might be discounted as it's not necessarily one of the most sought after SSDs.

Typically the best M2s considered can be ones such as:
Intel 660p
Crucial P1
Samsung 970

But you pay the price (especially for the Samsung).
Both intel and the cruical m2 are 63.99, Intel 660p is 512gb, crucial is just 500, Would it be worth paying for the intel 660p?
Also just to make sure i have the correct one heres the link https://www.cclonline.com/product/2...62/?siteID=8BacdVP0GFs-y53ixt8k2GyUnXTQztq3GA

Mytic

Commendable
Oct 23, 2019
The Intel 660p is an excellent M2. I'd opt for it over the MX, but that's my preference. It's probably one of the best value for money SSDs you'll find.

And yes that's the correct one.
Okay, also one quick question to help with my budget would it be worth to switch the 1660ti out for a 1660 super as they're cheaper and i assume not that different, if so would the zotac twin fan version be the best option if i went for it?
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...super-6-gb-twin-fan-video-card-zt-t16620f-10l

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Just remember when you install and NVMe on your board it will only work in M2_1 not M2_2 as the latter is SATA interface only.

The 1660S is basically a mid point between the 1660 and the 1660 Ti. The Ti is better, but not by a big margin, and the 1660S is arguably better value.

Zotac twin fan would be perfectly fine sticking to a budget :)

Mytic

Commendable
Oct 23, 2019
Just remember when you install and NVMe on your board it will only work in M2_1 not M2_2 as the latter is SATA interface only.

The 1660S is basically a mid point between the 1660 and the 1660 Ti. The Ti is better, but not by a big margin, and the 1660S is arguably better value.

Zotac twin fan would be perfectly fine sticking to a budget :)
I know it sounds dumb but looking at gpu comparision there isn't much difference between the 1660 and 1660 super, save 10 pounds and get the 1660 msi oc version?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I know it sounds dumb but looking at gpu comparision there isn't much difference between the 1660 and 1660 super, save 10 pounds and get the 1660 msi oc version?
There won't be a huge difference, thus why the price difference is only £10. As I said, the 1660S is probably better value. But it is technically a mid-point between the 2 previous 1660 models.

You'll probably only notice a small few FPS difference in the grand scheme of things for most games.

Mytic

Commendable
Oct 23, 2019
There won't be a huge difference, thus why the price difference is only £10. As I said, the 1660S is probably better value. But it is technically a mid-point between the 2 previous 1660 models.

You'll probably only notice a small few FPS difference in the grand scheme of things for most games.
I might get the msi 1660 as i can just overclock it if needed but it probably wont be needed,

Reactions: PC Tailor

TRENDING THREADS