Question Is this a normal temp for my MB?

Aug 5, 2019
Hey guys. I have a question. My parents PC temperatures are fine, according to Speccy, except the motherboard (in my opinion). I mean maybe it's in the range but I'm asking you guys.

Pc specs are these:

intel core i3 8100 (temps around 28-30° idle, 50° full load) stock cooler
8GB Ram
250 SSD NVMe (temps around 30-35°, perfectly fine)
HDD 2TB

and the motherboard which is a Gigabyte B360M DS3H. Idle temps are 36-37°. To me that's a bit too high, just for reference I have an i5 9400F (stock cooler) paired with Asus Prime B360M motherboard and my idle temps are 28° in the Mobo.

What's the temp range of motherboard? I'm wondering that. Because I'm aware about processors temps and ranges.

P.S. : My case has better airflow, but, could that be the difference? personally if that was the case i believe the i3 temps would be higher, but it seems totally fine.
Or.... could be that the Gigabyte motherboard works at a higher temp for default compared to the Asus?

temps-pc-casa.jpg

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
temps around 28-30° idle, 50° full load
Ultimately idle temperatures mean nothing outside of an understanding of "maybe if something is obviously wrong". If your full load temperature is only 50 degrees, it doesn't matter what your idle temperature is. Intels should be kept below 80 degrees ideally, if you're below that, no worries.

Also remember your ambient (room) temperatures are very important, for every degree you are over normal ambient temperature, you'll be a degree hotter.

For example:
Your system in a room at 20 degrees might be 32 degrees idle.
Your system in a room at 30 degrees might be 42 degrees idle.

Nothing to worry about, every system is different. :)

Aug 5, 2019
Ultimately idle temperatures mean nothing outside of an understanding of "maybe if something is obviously wrong". If your full load temperature is only 50 degrees, it doesn't matter what your idle temperature is. Intels should be kept below 80 degrees ideally, if you're below that, no worries.

Also remember your ambient (room) temperatures are very important, for every degree you are over normal ambient temperature, you'll be a degree hotter.

For example:
Your system in a room at 20 degrees might be 32 degrees idle.
Your system in a room at 30 degrees might be 42 degrees idle.

Nothing to worry about, every system is different. :)

Thanks man! So I guess everything is fine.

Reactions: PC Tailor

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
It's also important to note that "normal" is not a single temperature, but a temperature range.

So long as your CPU is within normal limits, that is, operating at at temperature below it's maximum designed temperature under full load, everything is pretty much fine.

People get bent out of shape over temperatures to a degree (no pun intended) that's just not necessary. It is incredibly common to see brief temperature spikes, sometimes even above the maximum designed temperature for a brief moment, but if the operating temperature settles at anything below the designed temperature maximum you are perfectly safe.

And the designed temperature maximum is different for different processors. I always refer to the website cpu-world.com when I need a quick check on what maximum operating temperature is for a given processor, as there are very, very few for which they do not quote that information. For an i3-8100 the following is presented:

Minimum/Maximum operating temperature ? 0°C (case temperature) - 69.9°C (case temperature)
100°C (Digital Thermal Sensor)

For the i5-9400F:

Maximum operating temperature ? 100°C

Your temperatures, all of them, are not even warm, let alone "too hot."

Reactions: thrust91
Aug 5, 2019
It's also important to note that "normal" is not a single temperature, but a temperature range.

So long as your CPU is within normal limits, that is, operating at at temperature below it's maximum designed temperature under full load, everything is pretty much fine.

People get bent out of shape over temperatures to a degree (no pun intended) that's just not necessary. It is incredibly common to see brief temperature spikes, sometimes even above the maximum designed temperature for a brief moment, but if the operating temperature settles at anything below the designed temperature maximum you are perfectly safe.

And the designed temperature maximum is different for different processors. I always refer to the website cpu-world.com when I need a quick check on what maximum operating temperature is for a given processor, as there are very, very few for which they do not quote that information. For an i3-8100 the following is presented:

Minimum/Maximum operating temperature ?0°C (case temperature) - 69.9°C (case temperature)
100°C (Digital Thermal Sensor)

For the i5-9400F:

Maximum operating temperature ?100°C

Your temperatures, all of them, are not even warm, let alone "too hot."
Thanks man. Yeah, about the processor.., yes indeed, they have a temperature range.
In my post I was emphazising the Motherboard temperature. But as I was told, 37-40° for an idle Mobo temp is fine. I mean, I may be overthinking this because my PC (in my signature) Asus Prime B360M temp is around 28° .

Giving the fact that here in my country (Peru) it's winter, almost spring. I guess that in summer time the Gigabyte Motherboard temps could reach maybe 40 or 45° because the ambient temp will increase like 8 degrees or so. Anyway, those temps could still be in the range for a Motherboard? For what you guys have told me I believe that it is. Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS