[SOLVED] Is this behaviour normal/safe for an adequately cooled Ryzen 5800x

Feb 18, 2022
Hey guys,
Long time lurker, first time poster so if I'm doing anything wrong let me know.

So I recently bit the bullet and bought myself a Ryzen 7 5800x and I'm absolutely chuffed with it.

Thing is I've been hunting for cooler temps after seeing my cpu jumping around the 80 - 89 mark in some games.
So I bought myself 2 different aio's (first one was just poorly designed so I settled for the Arctic liquid freezer II 240) and tweaked my PBO + Curve optimiser to help ease the temps..

All things considered my temps are quite nice now during gaming sitting around the low 60's with occasional spikes to 70 in games like Apex and No Mans Sky. However my main question and worry lies in the fact that when I boot up pretty much any program that requires more than a grain of rice to function for example: Opera, Discord, No mans sky, Apex (especially Apex for some reason) the cpu goes bonkers and reaches for the mid 80's for roughly 2 - 3 seconds before settling way back down to 60 ish, is this normal? can any other Ryzen users or people knowledgeable with Ryzens let me know if this is just how they function?

[Image just to show the difference between me using the pc to do normal tasks vs the huge max temp]
unknown.png

Edit: my PBO settings are as follows
PPT: 120
TDC: 75
EDC: 130
Negative curve on all cores - 10

Hey guys,
Long time lurker, first time poster so if I'm doing anything wrong let me know.

So I recently bit the bullet and bought myself a Ryzen 7 5800x and I'm absolutely chuffed with it.

Thing is I've been hunting for cooler temps after seeing my cpu jumping around the 80 - 89 mark in some games.
So I bought myself 2 different aio's (first one was just poorly designed so I settled for the Arctic liquid freezer II 240) and tweaked my PBO + Curve optimiser to help ease the temps..

All things considered my temps are quite nice now during gaming sitting around the low 60's with occasional spikes to 70 in games like Apex and No Mans Sky. However my main question and worry lies in the fact that when I boot up pretty much any program that requires more than a grain of rice to function for example: Opera, Discord, No mans sky, Apex (especially Apex for some reason) the cpu goes bonkers and reaches for the mid 80's for roughly 2 - 3 seconds before settling way back down to 60 ish, is this normal? can any other Ryzen users or people knowledgeable with Ryzens let me know if this is just how they function?

[Image just to show the difference between me using the pc to do normal tasks vs the huge max temp]
unknown.png

Edit: my PBO settings are as follows
PPT: 120
TDC: 60
EDC: 90
Negative curve on all cores - 10
Ryzen 5xxx use a lot of voltage(especially with PBO) to quickly boost frequency. Voltage = heat.

Do you have the AIO pump set to 100% power?

Feb 18, 2022
Ryzen 5xxx use a lot of voltage(especially with PBO) to quickly boost frequency. Voltage = heat.

Do you have the AIO pump set to 100% power?
Holy moly thanks for such a fast response, if you don't mind me picking your brains
is this okay? and would I avoid such crazy spikes if I disabled PBO + would that reduce performance considerably?
(sorry for the 21 questions, been racking my brains about this the last week or so)

so the AIO only has one 4 pin connector and it goes straight into the cpu fan header (as instructed on their website) so I'm not sure how to tweak the pump speed as it doesnt show the pump speeds in the hardware monitor on my bios.

Holy moly thanks for such a fast response, if you don't mind me picking your brains
is this okay? and would I avoid such crazy spikes if I disabled PBO + would that reduce performance considerably?
(sorry for the 21 questions, been racking my brains about this the last week or so)

so the AIO only has one 4 pin connector and it goes straight into the cpu fan header (as instructed on their website) so I'm not sure how to tweak the pump speed as it doesnt show the pump speeds in the hardware monitor on my bios.
PBO can increase frequencies at the cost of heat. These usually result in slightly higher FPS in gaming. Play a game with it on and then off, and see if you notice any difference.

Regarding the pump speed, just be sure to set whatever pin port you're plugged into is set for 100% DC.

Feb 18, 2022
PBO can increase frequencies at the cost of heat. These usually result in slightly higher FPS in gaming. Play a game with it on and then off, and see if you notice any difference.

Regarding the pump speed, just be sure to set whatever pin port you're plugged into is set for 100% DC.
So I disabled PBO and set the cpu fan/pump header to 100% and I'm getting the exact same behaviour, idle temps of mid 40's, gaming temps of 60~ and temporary spikes into the 80's