Is this high temperatures for Intel Core i7 860?

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
On my new machine the CPU is a Intel Core i7 860 2.8 Ghz. When running at idle the Speedfan application reports temperatures around 25-30C on all cores (including the hyperthreaded ones). When trying some stress testing with Prime 95 the temperatues for all 8 cores raises to about 65 degrees C.

My question is if this is a unexpected high temperature and if it could hurt the CPU, or if it is a normal heat for the processor under some intensive work?

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

Thank you for your quick reply. At what temperature would it actualy be a risk? Is there any rule of thumb like 75°C or similar?

keithblue2

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
You'll have to google around a bit for the precise, trustworthy number, but I believe the general concensus is to keep it under 80C for sure. The chip is designed to survive 100C, but only an idiot would run his Core i7 anywhere near that for any length of time.

You didn't mention an aftermarket CPU cooler, so I kind of assume you don't have one installed. For me, this was a "Lesson Learned" in my custom Core i7-860 build (see http://j.mp/cDIaS1). If you really want to OC your system, it's worth it to invest in an aftermarket cooler.

KB

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

Thank you for your reply and your blog was interesting to read about your build. I do have an aftermarket CPU cooler, a ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER 7 PRO REV.2 and it seems to be working fine. Just wanted to be sure that the temperatures was not too high.