Is this leaking electrolyte? -PC randomly freezes or restarts-

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bubum4n

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Hi guys,
About a month ago I bought a new CPU/Mobo/RAM combo to replace my old Phenom II.

I now have an Intel Core i5 4570 with a Gigabyte Z87M-D3H and 2x4GB Gskill Sniper DDR3 1600mhz ram sticks, running on my old Topower TOP-650PM PSU.
This is the PSU I have been using on my Phenom II for a year and a half. I also have installed a Sapphire Radeon 7870 Ghz edition.

The thing is that I have been experiencing random freezes and reboots since a couple of weeks ago.
At first, I thought it had to do with RAM sticks but I put them through some tests and turned out fine, I also tested the HDD because the PC froze several times while transfering data from one partition to another or from usb sticks to HDD, but it also operated correctly.

Yesterday I borrowed a PSU from a friend and while I was installing it I encountered this:

20130827_155945.jpg

20130827_160030.jpg

20130827_160134.jpg

I've never seen such a thing, and I haven't noticed it until now...it looks like a yellow liquid had leaked out of the capacitor...is this electrolyte? If I touch it, I don't feel anything odd, and nothing sticks to my finger. So, it's been there long enough to dry or it was in this condition right out of the box, but I believe I should've seen this when installing the mobo.

I used my friend's PSU last night for about 3 hours without experiencing abnormalities, and I left the PC on downloading games on steam overnight. I played a little Grid 2 (30 mins) and everything was fine...Could my old PSU had caused the capacitor to leak? I have recently replaced the PSU fan because it was noisy, but nothing more than that.

At the moment I re-installed my PSU to see if it freezes or reboots...but I'm clueless and expecting something to happen.

Any help? Thanks!

Update:
i0oz.png

This is a chart with voltages informed by Gigabyte's Easytune
I'm suspicious about the +12V value, it varies from 11.52V, to 11,592V and above 12V. Isn't 11.52V too low?

InvalidError

Titan

There are at least two possible reasons why EMI might be a problem on your rebuild but not your original:
1- the new board might be more susceptible to EMI
2- you may have introduced a grounding or other electrical issue during your rebuild

Since the motherboard is inside a case that should shield it against most EMI something must be acting as an antenna to channel it to whichever component is triggering the crashes.

Next troubleshooting step: since you disconnected everything except your display and keyboard, you might want to go for broke and see if you still get a crash with the display (and maybe even the keyboard) disconnected from your PC. Maybe EMI causes your display to malfunction, send junk down the display cable, crashes the GPU and your PC.

bubum4n

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013

I already tried unmounting and mounting everything twice...
I will try disconnecting everything and post the results but I doubt it can be the display since it's the same I've been using.
Thank you for the support.

bubum4n

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
I checked with nothing but the power cord connected, it froze again...This is driving me nuts.

Postdata: remember that this is not only happening to me, there are more people affected...with different psus and computer cases also.
For me it is either gigabyte or intel the one with the problem. Something tells me gigabyte...

UPDATE: It seems that the mobo or whatever it is causing the problem is susceptible to 850-1900mhz (GSM) wavelength..I tried setting my cell phone in WCDMA only mode and according to my tests, the computer works fine during a call.
The only thing is, WCDMA coverage is nearly zero in my house :fou:

bubum4n

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
I solved the problem. Simply returned the motherboard in exchange for an external HDD drive and bought Asus Gryphon Z87 in an ebay-like site. No more reboots when receiving a call.