[SOLVED] Is this Macbook Pro sufficient for my music production?

Nov 3, 2020
Hi I am new to Macbooks and also music production. I am on a tight budget and was wondering if this Refurbished Macbook Pro is sufficient for my novice music production and DJ dabbling? I have an Akai MPK mini controller and also a Pioneer DDJ-200 DJ controller I would be connecting to the Macbook Pro. Again, I am just a newb and plan to make music and DJ just for hobby, nothing professional at this time.

Here is the link, Im sorry I dont know how to upload screen shots, lol,
https://www.backmarket.com/tested-a...11-core-i7-ram-4gb-500-gb-hdd/13809.html#?l=4

Any insight would be appreciated, Thank you!

Solution
Almost anything will be fine for DJing but production is another story.
I have a low end i3 from around 2010 and I use Reason 7. Yeah it does run the program and I can make music and whatnot, but it is extremely under powered and can only handle like 7 to 10 instrument tracks before it sputters out and gives up. If I were to install an older version of the software I could do a lot more but lose a ton of features. I imagine your Mac would be pretty similar.

Problem is music software is now very CPU heavy and very RAM hungry... In short you'll get what you pay for and it's not a cheap hobby. Buy cheap you'll buy twice.
Hi I am new to Macbooks and also music production. I am on a tight budget and was wondering if this Refurbished Macbook Pro is sufficient for my novice music production and DJ dabbling? I have an Akai MPK mini controller and also a Pioneer DDJ-200 DJ controller I would be connecting to the Macbook Pro. Again, I am just a newb and plan to make music and DJ just for hobby, nothing professional at this time.

Here is the link, Im sorry I dont know how to upload screen shots, lol,
https://www.backmarket.com/tested-a...11-core-i7-ram-4gb-500-gb-hdd/13809.html#?l=4

Any insight would be appreciated, Thank you!
The cpu and igpu in it is quite CRAPPY to say the least. Expect dual core performance that gets stomped on compared to any recent cpu even an fx-4100 wrecks even a second gen i3 beats it. Please reconsider your choice.
And why are you going mac exactly? Macs tend to hold their value better since it's all about the logo so you're getting quite a bad deal to say the least. And DO NOT use that website as many people have been scammed there. I'd recommend getting something more powerful if possible.

Nov 3, 2020
Thanks for the response! Im going with a Mac bc I have an ipad already that I have been using , so I want to be able to keep using Garageband. I enjoy the Garageband interface. But I can’t use the software on my ipad that my midi controller comes with. 😔
Im still quit new to Macs, so I have ZERO idea what their standards are. I am more familiar with PCs, but again, I want to use both my ipad and macbook together..

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
I have a low end i3 from around 2010 and I use Reason 7. Yeah it does run the program and I can make music and whatnot, but it is extremely under powered and can only handle like 7 to 10 instrument tracks before it sputters out and gives up. If I were to install an older version of the software I could do a lot more but lose a ton of features. I imagine your Mac would be pretty similar.

Problem is music software is now very CPU heavy and very RAM hungry... In short you'll get what you pay for and it's not a cheap hobby. Buy cheap you'll buy twice.

Solution
Nov 3, 2020

Thank you for the response. I am not as well versed in Macs than with PCs. Perhaps I will wait and save up for a better Mac . 😅

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
Thank you for the response. I am not as well versed in Macs than with PCs. Perhaps I will wait and save up for a better Mac . 😅
If you like Garageband/Logic there is not much else you can easily do. Otherwise there is no lopsided advantage between one or the other. In the past Macs came better suited for music out of the box, and kind of held that reputation.