[SOLVED] is this right time to upgrade my i5 4440?

mohamedddo

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2013
I have i5 4440 and ASRock H81M motherboard
and 8GB DDr3 Ram.. is this right time to upgrade
i use my PC to play games mainly
i have 2 options to upgrade
First one is : ROG STRIX B360-F GAMING + Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 X 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz Memory + Intel Core i5-9400F
OR
second : ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING Socket AMD AM4 + Amd ryzen 5 3600 + 8GB RAM 3200Mhz

However the second choice will be More expensive.

Solution
It's better to invest in a x570 motherboard to have a better support for upcoming 4000 series & future proofing (PCIE Gen4).

B450 is a viable budget option but motherboard is one of the part where you can just shift processors and better RAM anytime you want until AM4 lasts.

Also better support out of the box with less bugs although this should be the last reason you should consider the x570.

Since nvme drives are going to be cheaper in the future similar to SATA SSD's, so why cheap out on the most important part of your build.

Don't consider Intel in this price bracket, It becomes feasible only when you consider above 9700K and that too only in GAMING.

Polatic

Prominent
Jul 10, 2019
I was kinda in the same boat as you. i5 4440 and ASRock b85 pro4 with 8 gb ram ddr3

I am upgrading to a ryzen 7 3700x, 16 gb ddr4 and MSI b450 Tomahawk.

I think the ryzen choice is worth it. Keep in mind that that motherboard doesnt have a usb flash updater. I would personally go for a b450 tomahawk, but I suggest you to compare multiple boards and see what you really need ;)

3600 is a fair bit faster than he 9400f in games, and the 3600 will have a much stable framerate.

I would go for a b450 tomahawk as it has bios flashback to update the bios with no cpu.

Also, make sure the ram is in 2x4gb rather than 1x8gb for ryzen. 16gb would be better if possible.

i consider it the worst time to upgrade if you're going for intel.

9 and 10 series are a disgrace technologically speaking, I mean its he same old ass 14nm process refreshed and then refreshed the refresh, and then the upcoming 10th gen is the refresh of the refreshed refresh omfg... a.k.a 14nm+++

now lets see, i say, if your cpu is doing fine atm, just keep it for a little while longe, i'd say its better to get a better gpu first, now that just to begin with, the upcoming new 10th gen will need a new socket, so new motherboard and bla bla bla, so that makes 9th gen already obsolete (as if everything doesnt get obsolete every 6 months haha) but anyways, usually a new socket lasts 2 generations sooooo...... i'd wait one more year, which is basically what im doing owning an old AZZ z87 chipset with a 4770k, its still good for anything whatsoever soo....... new gpu it is.

hopefully intel will sort out this friggin 10nm process already and give us something really new.

ofc, assuming intel :D i dont know bollocks about amd.

To keep things simple, as there's already good information available, my vote is for the Ry3600 platform.

Unfortunately, Intel has nothing in the similar price ranges their CPUs are currently to counter AMD on anything. And the value proposition from AMD now is just over the clouds compared to Intel.

Cheers!

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
It's better to invest in a x570 motherboard to have a better support for upcoming 4000 series & future proofing (PCIE Gen4).

B450 is a viable budget option but motherboard is one of the part where you can just shift processors and better RAM anytime you want until AM4 lasts.

Also better support out of the box with less bugs although this should be the last reason you should consider the x570.

Since nvme drives are going to be cheaper in the future similar to SATA SSD's, so why cheap out on the most important part of your build.

Don't consider Intel in this price bracket, It becomes feasible only when you consider above 9700K and that too only in GAMING.

Reactions: mohamedddo
Solution