Question Is this temperature normal on my i9 9900k

Plptm

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
My i9 9900k got 95°c not overclock in prime 95 after 10 min.
Case. Nzxt h700.
Board. GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE. Coler. 360 AIO nzxt x72 push mode intake. Front
And 4 fans exhaust. Rear and top.
I don't really know what's wrong with my build.
Should i repleace my cpu?

Which version of Prime95? Using AVX option on versions newer than 26.6 isn't recommended, or stick with 26.6 itself. AVX implementation specifically in Prime95 is a power virus and very strenuous on modern CPUs and motherboard VRMs when testing stability. I tend to use Realbench (also uses AVX for some testing) for more realworld use scenarios. Standard Prime95 is fine though.

Notorious^

Reputable
Feb 17, 2019
Not horrible, Thats a tad bit higher than my 9900K idle temp. I'm at 27c at idle. Have you ran any CPU-Z or Cinebench test's to see how hot it gets? I did get up to about 90c for a few seconds but that was on a 5.1GHz overclock benchtest.

Plptm

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
Which version of Prime95? Using AVX option on versions newer than 26.6 isn't recommended, or stick with 26.6 itself. AVX use in Prime95 is a power virus and very strenuous on modern CPUs and motherboard VRMsand not really necessary for stability testing in real world use scenarios. Standard Prime95 is fine though.
i used prime 95 V29.5 but i do a lot of video editing.

Plptm

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
Not horrible, Thats a tad bit higher than my 9900K idle temp. I'm at 27c at idle. Have you ran any CPU-Z or Cinebench test's to see how hot it gets? I did get up to about 90c for a few seconds but that was on a 5.1GHz overclock benchtest.
the quick Cinebech r15.0 test with CpuidMonitor temp. package 70c at 4.7GHz all cores stock.

Notorious^

Reputable
Feb 17, 2019
Seems hot to me. On realbench the max temp i hit was 58c. I do have a custom fan speed curve setup as well.

I think you need to boot your PC down, pull the block off and clean the top of the CPU (THERMAL GREASE). Reapply fresh new thermal grease (don't forget to wipe off the bottom of the block as well. Remount the block to the CPU.

Boot up the pc and check your fan and cooling settings to make sure everything is working. Then run the benchmark tests again. Sounds like either your cooler is not working right or you don't have enough thermal grease/cooling block not mounted correctly or combination.

Plptm

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
Seems hot to me. On realbench the max temp i hit was 58c. I do have a custom fan speed curve setup as well.

I think you need to boot your PC down, pull the block off and clean the top of the CPU (THERMAL GREASE). Reapply fresh new thermal grease (don't forget to wipe off the bottom of the block as well. Remount the block to the CPU.

Boot up the pc and check your fan and cooling settings to make sure everything is working. Then run the benchmark tests again. Sounds like either your cooler is not working right or you don't have enough thermal grease/cooling block not mounted correctly or combination.
[/QUOT Well is not a pump issue for sure i have the kraken x62 280mm radiator and the kraken x72 360mm radiator and i tested them both with the same result. all fans r wonking fine at stock not custom fan speed curve.

Plptm

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015

i used the center dot paste method. and everything was clean with Isopropyl Alcohol before apply the paste.

D

Deleted member 217926

Everything you want to know about Intel temperature testing including safe temps, voltages and why you only use Prime v26.6 is here.

verdy_p

Reputable
May 28, 2014
Stock fans that are sold with CPUs (notably those from Intel) have a very poor mounting system, using plastic "easy screwing devices" that frequently do not support elevation of temperature (it's then frequent to open the case and see that these pseudo screws are in fact no longer attached! sometimes that plactic has also cracked over time because of temperature and the fixation is in fact completely ineffective). In that case, the thermal paste on the CPU is not even in contact with the support of the fan and when it gets hotter, it is evaporating all around! heat dissipation is then very poor.

Consider using a better cooling fan with a more stable mounting system, with metallic screws (and springs around screws, plus some carton roundels between the mobo and the fixation to avoid damaging the mobo by excessive pressure: the springs around the screw will offer just the required elasticity to adapt the pressure to the normal dilatation of metals due to heat, and will also offer protection against vibrations caused by the rotating fan).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 217926

Stock fans that are sold with CPUs (notably those from Intel) have a very poor mounting system, using plastic "easy screwing devices" that frequently do not support elevation of temperature (it's then frequent to open the case and see that these pseudo screws are in fact no longer attached!). Consider using a better cooling fan with a more stable mounting system.
First the 9900k doesn't come with a cooler and second if you read the OP's specs in the first post he says he has a NZXT 360mm liquid cooler. ;)

verdy_p

Reputable
May 28, 2014
The specs were too much abbreviated to be readable. It was not clear that it was water cooled. (NZXT means nothing for me, may be it's a know brand in your place, but not so common as you think).

Anyway the fixation of water cooling systems are also frequently problematic, this is the same problem as with classic CPU fans: whever it supports a fan directly above it, or if there's a water device connected to it (and the fans are located elsewhere) correctly fixing the device is necessary, independantly of the thermal paste you put between the CPU and that cooling device.

D

Deleted member 217926