is this true?

G

dont know if this is the right forum for this question but, a co-worker of mine said he just burnt a copy of MS 2000. Is he full of s**t or is he telling the truth. I thought for sure at least Microsoft software would be burn-proof.

Thanks for clearing this up

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I see plenty of burnt copies of windows xp corporate floating around, so no it is hardly burn proof.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I've burned copies of MS software far too many times for it to be burn-proof any more than any other software.

Technically, I <i>think</i> making a CD burn-proof would be infringing upon your rights. Courts may not agree with me on that one; I know the RIAA/MPAA sure as hell don't. Law allows an individual who has legally purchased any copyrighted CDs (or, in legal-ese, purchased the right to use said copyrighted CDs and the software therein) to make one backup copy of each CD.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

G

Nothing is burn proof. What is called burn proofing is simply leaving holes in the data on the cd. Your CD Copying software doesnt see the holes, it only sees the data. So when it copies the files to a new CD the CD layout changes. In order to prevent this you have to do a raw burn of the CD (like the poster above me noted). A relatively simple process with the right software.

So no, nothing is actually burn proof.

:eek: <font color=blue>I for one run Quake 3 on a P133(No MMX)</font color=blue>I have no affiliatioin w/ Intel

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
your talking about water marks?
cant say i came across CD'es with the technology yet..

my opinion is that CD's are data no matter of what nature, copying it is one issue, using it is another, XP was supposed to use a live registration system for it to start working, i guess they didnt implement it eventually as i didnt see anything when i installed my burned copy of XP..
other issue is encrypted data, u can copy the content of the CD yet you cant do anything with it..
i saw a new technology developed with online encryprion key upon registration send when a program is activated to decript the software pacage, then after installing another online confermation.
as this issue can be overrun by cracking the software and pirating it.

i dont see an end to this which is good, i think it helps further develop other related privacy and sirecy issues.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

G

I've run into some cases of what i assume is "burn proofing".
Case in point is the Black & White cd. If you have ever tried to copy that, you know it doesnt work. You see, there are several blocks on the cd where it's just blank. Your CD drive will simply skip over those parts and when you copy to a new cd, they won't be included. Now while its all A-ok for you cd drive, the software checks for this and detects the fact that the cd is burnt. I don't think this is watermarking.

:eek: <font color=blue>I for one run Quake 3 on a P133(No MMX)</font color=blue>I have no affiliatioin w/ Intel

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm
interesting

ive got this space combat simulator... name of it escapes me for a second... made by microsoft, recent release...

ack.. anyway
both disks have copy protection
whenever i try to copy it using nero it just tries to reread the same bit over and over not progressing at all.

what do u suggest i use?
(this is to make a perfectly legal backup copy u understand) :)

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
seems the cd is protected with the clckspd.dll files and the like...
i read about it in a ch hacking page.
they said clone cd will only work with specific drives.
i tried it on my beast with no luck for either the pioneer 106s or the ricoh burner.

ahh well... ill keep trying.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

G

There is nothing out there that is copy or burn proof, And if they someday come up with someting, then i think it would be safe to say that it would no longer be so the next day.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
could u happen to point me in the right direction...
cant seem to find this blind read and write program.
thanx