[SOLVED] Is this used system worth 250$

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
My buddy is selling a used gaming rig.

It looks pretty dusty on the outside so im sure its dusty inside as well.

He got it from someone and dont know how long it was used for.

** SPECS **

MOBO- Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
CPU- AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8-core
GPU- Zotac GTX 1060 mini 3gb DDR5 Vr Ready
RAM- G SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16gb 2x8gb DDR3 240 pin DDr3 SDRAM 1600
CASE- NZXT Guardian 921
SOTRAGE- 500gb hdd and 128gb ssd
COOLER- Coolermaster (doesnt know model)
WIN- Fresh windows 10 installed

Solution
This is about the best I can do at that price range, without dropping on the quality of components any further as these others have done to fit under the cap, unless you want to drop the CPU down to a Ryzen 5 2600 instead of the 2600x, which is an option but probably results in an inferior piece of silicon but maybe not enough so to make it a deal breaker.

As for the prices you see, IDK. I have rebates turned off in PCPP, so those should be the actual prices not counting any tax (Despite it saying it includes tax. It never does). I have changed it to use only Newegg and Amazon though, as some of the other vendors try to get around the exclusion in PCPP for rebates by calling them promos when in fact they are actual MIR. Shouldn't be...
While that $250 price keeps getting tossed around, they added in one of the early posts that they could now get the system for $200. At that price it arguably pushes it more into "worthwhile" territory in my opinion. It's at most a 6 year old system that got a graphics card upgrade within the last couple years. I wouldn't pay much for an FX processor system at this point, but $200 isn't really that much.

Looking at what similar components might cost on the used market, you would generally be looking at spending close to $125 for a 1060 3GB, around $75 for a comparable kit of DDR3, $100 for the CPU and Mobo (though yes, there are better options available), and perhaps another $100 for the SSD, HDD, case, PSU, cooler and anything else. Even if you were to completely ignore the CPU and motherboard, that should still be close to $300 worth of components. And that doesn't really sound like a bad deal for $200, particularly if you are willing to add a bit more to get a processor and motherboard with better gaming performance in there.

TY ALL FOR ALL THE INFO AND RESPONSES!

I want to be able to play fortnite at 1080p 60fps on medium settings, so whatever it would cost to do that.

eventually when I can (a month or 2) I wanna spend around 500$-600$ on a system. I just seen this for cheap and was wondering if it'd be worth it as my current system is just so bad...

IF it helps, I plan on using my 500gb HDD in whatever new system I get so I wouldnt technically need to add that into the budget. And I already have a CPU cooler as well and if the system is DDr3 memory I have 8gb (2x4gb sticks)

My current build is this

MOBO- Biostar A55ML2
CPU- AMD A8 5600k
GPU- GTX 750 1gb
RAM- 8gb DDR3 1333
STORAGE- 2 hdds, 1 160gb, 1 500gb
PSU- Insignia 450w
COOLER- Cooler Master Hyper T2

Im able to play rocket league maxed out, and some other games at medium graphics with decent frames.

If you are planning to spend 500-600 dollars on a system in a month or two, it would be ludicrous to spend even 200 dollars on this now. Save that money, put it towards the new system and buy everything together, new, all at once. That would be the wise way to spend that money. Don't let your impatience get the best of you. You could easily do something like this IF you don't waste 200 dollars of it now.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($95.94 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($65.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - BX500 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($38.79 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 8 GB Gaming 8G Video Card ($199.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.04 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ B&H)
Total: $680.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-22 02:10 EST-0500

And if you don't need some of those components, like the case, then it gets even less expensive. This, compared to what you currently have, or the system you were LOOKING at getting, would be like going from a 3 cylinder Chevy Geo to a small block V8 of some flavor.

I have to agree that if you plan on spending more for a better system in a matter of months, you're probably better off just saving up for that.

The per-core performance of that FX-8320 wouldn't be that much faster than your current A8-5600K. It has more cores, but most games (like Fortnite and Rocket League) won't utilize those extra cores much anyway. And the same goes for the extra RAM, since most games can still get along well enough on 8GB, at least for the time being.

The GTX 1060 3GB could actually provide a good boost to performance over your GTX 750, since it can be around 3 times as fast provided it's not being limited by CPU performance in a given game. However, you could just as easily find one of those, or a comparable card, by itself on the used market for less, and add that to your current system to get similar performance in most games.

You could even find a new graphics card with a fresh warranty for less. A Radeon RX 570 costs as little as $150 new online, and provides similar performance to a 1060 3GB, but with more VRAM. Or there's the RX 580, which is around 10-15% faster, and overall similar to a 1060 6GB in performance. Such a card could be reused in your new system as well, once you're ready to upgrade the motherboard, processor and RAM some months down the line. So, you could likely do the upgrade in a couple stages, if wanted to spend a couple hundred dollars now. The only thing I might be concerned about would be whether your existing PSU were up to the task of running one of these more powerful graphics cards, as they do tend to draw more power under load.

Well I wasnt going to spend the money on a new system if this system was worth the 200$.

I was just going to buy this system lol.

But I think its clear its not worth it and to just wait. Ty for the part list, but could you get it down to 600 and with nvidia graphics?

Thing is my CPU is bottlenecking my gtx 750 as it is. My cpu is holding me back, not my gpu. When I OC the cpu to 4.3mhz I get much better performance in game but its never stable because my mobo is cheap and old and my PSU is a budget psu. so I just wanna buy a whole new system with 600$.

This is really about as low as I can get that build without sacrificing too much in terms of quality and performance somewhere. Certainly we could drop to a lower tiered graphics card but I don't think that helps you much if you do that. Better would be to simply wait, save a few more bucks, and then pull the trigger.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - BX500 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($33.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX 580 8 GB Red Devil Video Card ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.98 @ Newegg Business)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $648.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-25 13:52 EST-0500

TYSM !! And your right I would like a build like that so Ill save some extra, I just really want Nvidia graphics though to be honest so if you could figure out a Nvidia graphics card about the same would be amazing :)

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - BX500 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($33.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($53.27 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $637.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-26 02:29 EST-0500

Reactions: Jason H.

AWESOME MAN TYVM!

I need to pick the solution, and I have to go with the 1st guy who said the system isnt worth it in the end.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
In a word, it's almost NEVER worth any kind of money to buy a system on an AM3 platform anymore. (uh, ok, that was more than "a word" lol . . but you get the idea)

It should only be looked at in terms of "how much are some of the other parts worth used?"

In this case, maybe the GPU, and the RAM only if you were buying say a Haswell motherboard and CPU to use that RAM.

Overall, though, not worth it.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
This adds a little to the price of the suggestions made by others above.... but is one of the best bang-for-the-buck deals on SSD storage. And Crucial's MX series is better than the BX series from what I've read.

$57.99 - Crucial MX500 500GB SSD
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ft8j4D/crucial-mx500-500gb-25-solid-state-drive-ct500mx500ssd1

EDIT: can make up for it by a little bit of savings by using this video card, though the savings comes a few weeks later in the form of a mail-in rebate, and includes 2 free games (to be available in the near future, I think):

$169.99 after rebate: Power Color Red Dragon RX 580 8GB - performs the same or maybe a hair faster than the GTX 1060 6GB.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rKgzK8/powercolor-radeon-rx-580-8gb-video-card-axrx-580-8gbd5-3dhdv2oc

I had him change it from a AMD card to a Nvidia because I want Nvidia.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

I could see that if you have a GSync monitor.... or just comfort zone, really. But, there's really nothing that justifies Nvidia's price premium for the same performance, in my opinion.

Full disclosure: I have that same Red Dragon on one system, and a GTX 1080 on a different system.

Considering the number of RX580 cards I've seen DOA or with serious problems over the last two months, just here at TH, I'd tend to not recommend them right now myself even though I know not all of them are going to be problematic. Plus, there are a lot of people who still have a bad taste in their mouth from the days when AMD always had driver issues, and Nvidia wasn't having them, and right now AMD is not showing well in that area with a lot of people also having problems due to the drivers that were released in early December, and since. Again, not all, but many.

If he wants Nvidia, that's clearly his choice. Both are options.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Eh, I don't buy the driver thing - Over the past two decades, I've seen hiccups in drivers for both Nvidia and AMD. My own anecdotal experience is more with Nvidia in that regard, but generally not enough for either side to be dismissive.

Considering that most of my experience has been with AMD in that time period, I call the "days when AMD always had driver issues" BS.

What's this number of DOA RX 580 cards? On the boards, I've seen one confirmed from one of the regulars here, but he got 3 at once of the same model... so I'm guessing a bad batch from a specific board partner.

I don't think the evidence is there to pick one or the other over driver or card reliability.

Don't get me wrong, if it's a matter of wanting one over the other, that's fine. But I don't buy the whole one-is-consistently-more-unreliable-than-the-other tales.

Really? Shows a lack of being in the loop as long as many of us have.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickmoorhead/2016/04/14/amd-has-turned-gaming-graphics-drivers-from-a-liability-into-an-asset/#5eb86ba59f6d

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/182343-why-we-cant-have-nice-things-valve-programmer-discusses-wretched-state-of-opengl

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2951975/amd-drivers-bad.html

AMDs CCC was horrific. Anybody who says anything to contrary, never owned one of the relevant cards back when they were having so many issues AND it's WELL known that AMD had serious issues getting, or keeping, anybody who was remotely competent to work on the driver dev team for a long time. So, you believing my comment is BS is fine, but doesn't reflect anything factual.

TBH I just prefer the Nvidia brand. Ive always used Nvidia. I know how to use their software already. Small learning curve with new card. Just comfortable with them.

And tbh, as a dumb side note. Their green n black color scheme reminds me of when Xbox 1st hit the market n how the green n black system was just so awesome compared to the ps2 lol..... idk lol.

I had 1 system that had AMD CCC.

Never again lol.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

*shrug* I know my information is anecdotal.... but I've had two Nvidia cards that I've owned for any length of time. (a few systems that I simply got up and running then sold/gave away, which I don't really count).

- a Riva 128 (4MB version, my first real 3D card... insert "now you kids get off my lawn" jokes here)
- A GTX 1080 (my current card, had for almost a year now)

The rest were ATI/AMD, and CCC never gave me a hiccup. This was in contrast with friends who (admittedly, with laptops), had Nvidia video, and every so often would go blank and then come back, with Windows saying that the driver crashed (halted?) then restarted. That's never happened to me.

I like Crimson/Adrenalin better, don't get me wrong, though.

And, once again, I know my personal experience and those of friends by definition must be anecdotal. Still, the halt/restart of drivers my friends with Nvidia had (I never have seen this issue personally) was surprising when I saw it.

Of the three links the first even goes so far as to say:
For quite some time, users had a negative perception of Advanced Micro Devices AMD gaming graphics drivers, some of it earned some of it unwarranted. AMD’s drivers have improved in quality over time and have really improved with the latest Crimson generation of graphics drivers

while also saying (nearly two years ago) that they've vastly improved.

and the second uses the phrase "characterized as" quite a bit, sounding more like a summary of word of mouth, though I don't know how they came to these descriptions.

I suppose the point is moot, simply because of OP's stated reason for preference.

But, to say "many" and "a lot" seems to be overstating the case.