Question Is using electrical tape to customize my PSU cables "unsafe"?

Jan 6, 2020
Hi, I am looking to customize my PSU cables with custom colours (white in this case) to match the theme of my build. I know that I can buy a kit of coloured PSU extension cables, but they are too expensive! Instead I thought that I could use white electrical tape to neatly wrap around some of the PSU cables to make them look better. Is doing this a safety hazard? Can I damage the cables and short out or destroy my system? Will the cables maybe heat up? I don't know... Help pls

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums!

I wouldn't advise with the colored electrical tape since it will leave an adhesive residue on the wires/sleeved cables you already have with your PSU.

To add, what is the make and model of your PSU? Simply managing your cables with zipties would be a better idea. You will also notice that it doesn't look good after you're done with the wrap. Unless you can manage to to avoid any overlaps and bumps.

Jan 6, 2020
Welcome to the forums!

I wouldn't advise with the colored electrical tape since it will leave an adhesive residue on the wires/sleeved cables you already have with your PSU.

To add, what is the make and model of your PSU? Simply managing your cables with zipties would be a better idea. You will also notice that it doesn't look good after you're done with the wrap. Unless you can manage to to avoid any overlaps and bumps.
Thanks for the reply!
I bought a Corsair RM750x PSU. Maybe you are right. Wrapping it equally on all sides will not be easy. But is there any actual hazard? Like can I damage the wires/cables by doing this?