[SOLVED] Is VR worth it right now?

ShlomiU

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
I know it's a pretty subjective take on wether or not it's worth it , but I just got a new PC and it is VR ready.
I was wondering if getting a VR headset is worth it in 2020 , I mean I know of only 1 big title for the VR which is HL Alyx..
Is the VR platform 'matured' enough to actually invest in it?

And is the Oculus Rift S a good choice for the PC?

Solution
Thing is , how many full fledged VR titles are there?
The only one I really know of as I've said is HL Alyx.
I am not interested in a pesudo game like vr fruit ninja or arrow shooting games or music games.
I want to play actual games with actual stories , and I was wondering if VR can provide that.
It’s a very good question and best if someone using VR answers. My point is I have not seen enough games that I actually want to play to make me justify getting into vr. The only things that look good to me are racing sims and the idea of MS flight sim which I believe vr support is being worked on.
What’s your full pc spec? VR ready does not mean it is definitely good for VR. As for is it worth it I haven’t made the jump myself as the only thing that interests me that I could use it for are racing or flight sims, I’ve not seen much else that would keep me hooked.

ShlomiU

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
What’s your full pc spec? VR ready does not mean it is definitely good for VR. As for is it worth it I haven’t made the jump myself as the only thing that interests me that I could use it for are racing or flight sims, I’ve not seen much else that would keep me hooked.

3800x
2070 super
16gb ddr 4 3200 cl 16
x570 mb
750w psu

ShlomiU

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Ok looks good
I am not interested in a pesudo game like vr fruit ninja or arrow shooting games or music games.
I want to play actual games with actual stories , and I was wondering if VR can provide that.

It’s a very good question and best if someone using VR answers. My point is I have not seen enough games that I actually want to play to make me justify getting into vr. The only things that look good to me are racing sims and the idea of MS flight sim which I believe vr support is being worked on.

Solution

Theresa N

Admirable
Dec 10, 2019
The new MS FS is so demanding of the CPU that it will not give decent frame rates no matter what the CPU is. So until it is totally rewritten I wouldn't expect to do it using VR.

Sep 4, 2020
I think that you could definitely try it for the experience. And who knows maybe in some years all these VR headsets and the games will reach a kind of vintage status hahaha May be worth a lot of money then...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I have VR.
Personally I like the overall immersion experience.
But since you are adamant about not trying anything other than some next level AAA story driven deal like HLA, then you're reasons for getting VR are pretty much non existent right now.

But if you are willing to open yourself up to new experiences, then there is plenty on offer.

Beat Saber is lots of fun. You can mod it to install community charted songs to play when the default playlist has done it's job for you, as well as fully customize the stages, sabers, and other little things.

Rhythm riders is another decent title.

You can play Zen like games, to relax and meditate, you can play Yoga simulators as well.

There is Skyrim VR too.

For FPS you have games like Pavlov VR.
There are fun little Indie experiences.
Like the original Lucky's Tale, that got it's start in Oculus store for Oculus users, and got it's sequels on Xbox and PC.
Or Superhot VR.
Along with some more high brow Indie titles like The Talos Principle VR.
Plenty of free stuff too.

For socialization, you have VRChat, NeosVR, and a few others.

There is racing games like Assetto Corsa, and iRacing, and flight sims.
(racing games are best paired with a racing wheel for full experience)

There are dance games like MikuMikuDance ( a sort of Just Dance/DDR type game in VR)

There are arcade style racing games too like Redout (which is kind of like Wipeout in VR)

There are plenty of first person horror game experiences if you are into that as well.

Suffice it to say, there are plenty of experiences to be had on VR and the library is ever growing as VR continues to grow in the market.

It's a matter of whether or not you are down to experience it or not.

And if you are, then that opens a different can of worms in regards to your budget and what kind of experience you can afford to have in regards to the hardware side of things.

I know it's a pretty subjective take on wether or not it's worth it , but I just got a new PC and it is VR ready.
I was wondering if getting a VR headset is worth it in 2020 , I mean I know of only 1 big title for the VR which is HL Alyx..
Is the VR platform 'matured' enough to actually invest in it?

And is the Oculus Rift S a good choice for the PC?

Is it worth it?

Is the Oculus Rift S worth it? The Rift S looks like EOL far as updates go (But that is rumor). I would lean towards the Reverb G2 or Index. I don't like Facebook's invasive policies on requiring you to link to a face book account to play your games. A lot of people didn't agree to that when they bought the hardware. So there's been rumblings of class actions due to the changes of TOS and breaking of promises.

Our Valve Index has never gone a day without being used since March. We have a seven year old that was about 5 lbs over his "prime" weight. Since beat saber (which is plays every day, he is now back within the normal range)

Here's the order of popularity:

Beat Saber
Space Pirate Trainer
Rec Room
Valve's The Lab
Vader Immortal
Various Roblox Titles (yes it does have specific oriented VR games)
Half Life Alyx
Taklings
Acorn
Toy Soldiers
Moss

This isn't even the complete library. We do have considerably more. Even I have made more time for gaming.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020
Personally I can't really recommend it much, especially considering the cost at the moment. Maybe once we have the next jump in technology...that being said, there are tons of people who enjoy it and play daily, so it really depends on what type of player you are.

I own a Vive for 2 years or so now, and I honestly barely touch it. There are games, sure, but apart from HL: Alyx, they just didn't do it for me. That game made me absolutely addicted, never had this much fun in VR. But it's MILES ahead of anything else I have ever tried. The usability is better, the immersion is ten times higher, the pacing is out of this world, absolutely everything works in this game. This game honestly was in VR as was Half-Life 2 for me on PC, an absolute milestone putting you in awe of the new technology.

I think one of the main aspects I completely underestimated is that you actively play with a massive device on your head. Compared to just chilling in your chair and moving your fingers a bit, it's extremely exhausting and often times has you sweat just by wearing the device. That makes me much less forgiving regarding the games since you cannot really "sit back in relax", and also gets me impatient more quickly if the story is presented in a bad way or if I have to travel around a lot (hello Skyrim).

As a fan of story-based games, there also isn't really much to experience at the moment. Most games are completely focused on the action, the "biggest" title before HL:Alyx was probably Asgard's Wrath for example which is more about adventure than it is about story, similar to Tomb Raider. Before that most people were impressed by The Gallery, which is also more playing around mechanics and solving riddles on your own than anything with a gripping story.

If it's all about gameplay for you though, there's already a bunch of titles out that you could thoroughly enjoy. Enough quality stuff is out there. For me personally, I just realized that I'm much more likely to fall into my chair and play a relaxed session of whatever after work than setting everything up in VR and jumping around. Maybe I'll be more inclined with more story-based stuff or once the technology is a bit more comfortable to wear and use...

Sep 13, 2020
I believe it is. There are alot of VR games I've put alot of time into.
The forest
Skyrim
F04
Alien isolation
Organ quarter
And a ton of smaller titles I can't think k of right now there vorpx that with one work will allow you to play alot of non VR games in VR .
You can get wmr headsets for 200 . They are a good step in if you dont want to spend alot. The resolution is good but tge lenses are not great and tracking isn't good for fast fps shooter. It doesn't use lighthouses so its easy to setup.
Some games are seated too so you don't need a large room to move around in.