[SOLVED] Is wake on Lan using my PCIe wireless network card possible? ?

PlagaXxX

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
I'm trying to remote wake up my PC from sleep with my android phone but I'm not hard wired because my current situation doesn't allow for ethernet. I only use a wireless network card in my PC.. Is this possible?

Btw, I'm currently using a T6E TPLink wireless network PCIe card..

Thanks!

Solution
A wifi card is much more complex that a ethenet interface. You have to remember the ethenet chip itself is doing the function. The main cpu and everything else it turned off. A wifi has stuff like encryption to deal with and much more.

The only reason you really even consider doing this is to save power. You are using much more power when you have the wifi active so even if it worked how much savings do you really have.

In any case the wifi chips do not support it so it will never work.

Motherboards have lots of power save features that are integrated with windows. The difference in power usage between wake on lan and many of the sleep modes in windows is not very much. It will just be easier to use the sleep mode...
A wifi card is much more complex that a ethenet interface. You have to remember the ethenet chip itself is doing the function. The main cpu and everything else it turned off. A wifi has stuff like encryption to deal with and much more.

The only reason you really even consider doing this is to save power. You are using much more power when you have the wifi active so even if it worked how much savings do you really have.

Motherboards have lots of power save features that are integrated with windows. The difference in power usage between wake on lan and many of the sleep modes in windows is not very much. It will just be easier to use the sleep mode that leaves the wifi active. As soon as you attempt access windows will increase the power so things work properly.

Reactions: PlagaXxX
Solution

PlagaXxX

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015

Motherboards have lots of power save features that are integrated with windows. The difference in power usage between wake on lan and many of the sleep modes in windows is not very much. It will just be easier to use the sleep mode that leaves the wifi active. As soon as you attempt access windows will increase the power so things work properly.

hmmmm, so I guess there's no hope for me :( ...I read somewhere that Powerlines might be a good alternative.. Could that work??

Thanks so much for all the help.

PlagaXxX

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
Not sure what you mean powerline looks like ethernet so it should work with wake on lan. Might be cheaper to get one of the many electrical devices that let you turn on power outlets with a phone. You could configure your pc to boot on power on.

Hmmm, maybe I'll try the power outlet thing. Do you have any recommendations?? Also, what do you mean by "boot on power on"?

Not sure I have only seen them at home depot etc so I have no idea which works best. They have all kinds of fancy light bulbs and thermostats etc.

There is a option in the bios...likely in the same area as wake on lan. It set the computer to automatically boot as soon as the power supply is turned on or gets power from the wall.

TRENDING THREADS