Issue after installing graphics card

Jun 18, 2018
Hello. I have an nvidia GT 740 sc that I installed on my Asrock h270 pro4 and I’ve booted into the OS with the card and installed the gefore driver for the card and restarted my computer. However, once it was done restarting there were a bunch of weird blue lines (phone image attached) and then a black screen for 10/15 seconds before booting into windows in 800x400 resolution. Now in device manager it’s saying that “windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (code 43)”. Any idea on what to do from here?

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
Where did you get the card? 740 is at least a few years old, so could be just the card has died. If you got a Great Deal on the card, there have been instances of spoofing cards...making it look like a 740 but in reality is a cheap knockoff or an older card that's been "rebranded".

If you get code 43 in response to driver installation that usually means hardware problem. Either motherboard PCIe slot or more likely GPU could be faulty. Try the card at second PCIe slot and/or at another machine. If it fails the same way everywhere it means problem lies in GPU, otherwise in motherboard.
One more thing to try is remove drivers using DDU and install an older version.