[SOLVED] Issue regarding choppy / sluggish feel in games

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Here are my specs :

𝐂𝐏𝐔 : 𝐑𝐲𝐳𝐞𝐧 𝟕 𝟐𝟕𝟎𝟎𝐱 (𝐦𝐲 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐫𝐲𝐳𝐞𝐧 𝟑 𝟐𝟐𝟎𝟎𝐠)

𝐑𝐀𝐌 : 𝐂𝐨𝐫𝐬𝐚𝐢𝐫 𝐕𝐞𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐃𝐃𝐑𝟒 𝟐𝟒𝟎𝟎𝐌𝐡𝐳

𝐆𝐏𝐔 (𝐆𝐓𝐗 𝟏𝟎𝟔𝟎 𝟔𝐆𝐁, 𝐏𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐚𝐦𝐞)

𝐏𝐒𝐔 (𝐓𝐗𝟓𝟓𝟎𝐌 𝐆𝐨𝐥𝐝, 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐥𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐗𝐓 𝟕𝟓𝟎𝐰)

𝐌𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝 (𝐀𝐬𝐮𝐬 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐁𝟒𝟓𝟎-𝐏𝐋𝐔𝐒, 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐀𝐬𝐮𝐬 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐛𝟑𝟓𝟎-𝐩𝐥𝐮𝐬)

So i've got a huge problem i need your help with, for 4 months my computer has been in the wreck causing a 𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐩𝐩𝐲, 𝐬𝐥𝐮𝐠𝐠𝐢𝐬𝐡 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐥, via every single game it also occurs via windows, putting a video in fullscreen on my opposite monitor makes it more noticeable, whereas it gets more 𝐬𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐧𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐥𝐮𝐢𝐝, it mostly appears in games though,

Originally my computer wouldn't boot into my SSD and i tried to repair it but had to reinstall my windows then the issue instantly popped up via games & i noticed it on windows a while later, i tested via using a spare motherboard with 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐜𝐩𝐮 & 𝐫𝐚𝐦, but same 𝗚𝗣𝗨, 𝗣𝗦𝗨, 𝗛𝗗𝗗/𝗦𝗦𝗗, 𝗰𝗮𝗯𝗹𝗲𝘀, issue occured the same, then i tried looking at settings, limiting fps, trying out vsync but no matter what i did it stayed the same on every single setting.

A week later my PSU failed, i replaced it a couple weeks later and the issue occured still, i started thinking that my power supply damaged parts of my computer, couple weeks later i got a new motherboard and same issue occured, so it lead me to believe it was the GPU and/or CPU, so a week ago i replaced the parts and same issue occurs, just lesser extent and less choppy, but still there.

Here is a list of what i've tried,

𝟏 : 𝐓𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝.

𝟐 : 𝐓𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐫𝐚𝐦 𝐨𝐧 𝐬𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝.

𝟑 - 𝐓𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐂𝐏𝐔 𝐨𝐧 𝐬𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝.

𝟒 : 𝐓𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐬𝐬𝐝 / 𝐬𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐦𝐲 𝐠𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐚 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐞 / 𝐬𝐬𝐝

𝟓 : 𝐓𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐬 𝟕 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝟏𝟎, 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚 𝐠𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐨𝐧 𝐢𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐧𝐨 𝐞𝐱𝐭𝐫𝐚 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐦𝐬 𝐨𝐫 𝐮𝐩𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐬

𝟔 : 𝐑𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨 𝐚 𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐬 𝟏𝟎 𝐛𝐮𝐢𝐥𝐝 + 𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨 𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐯𝐢𝐝𝐢𝐚 𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬

𝟕 : 𝐓𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐨𝐫, 𝐭𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐜𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐩𝐜 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 + 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐨𝐫

𝟖 : 𝐄𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬, 𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐨 𝐝𝐞𝐟𝐚𝐮𝐥𝐭, 𝐭𝐫𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐢 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞, 𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐃𝐃𝐔 𝐭𝐨 𝐜𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐧 𝐰𝐢𝐩𝐞 𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬

𝟗 : 𝐔𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐑𝐲𝐳𝐞𝐧 𝟑'𝐬 𝐯𝐞𝐠𝐚 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐩𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐬 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐠𝐩𝐮, 𝐬𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐮𝐞 𝐨𝐜𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐬 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐦𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐬𝐞.

𝟏𝟎 : 𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐮𝐦𝐬 𝐚𝐬𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩 (𝐧𝐨𝐛𝐨𝐝𝐲 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐬)

𝟏𝟏 : 𝐭𝐫𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐦𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐞 (𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐤𝐞𝐲𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝, 𝐢 𝐠𝐨𝐭 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐞)

None of what i did worked else i wouldn't be here, after thorough testing it lead me to the conclusion of the cpu & gpu being the issue, considering they both have the same issue across multiple boards, and gpu has same issue on different mobo with different cpu & ram, so i replaced them and same issue occurs still, leaving only three things, 𝐌𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝, 𝐏𝐒𝐔 & 𝐑𝐀𝐌, used my spare board that may have been damaged by my psu (this one's old and has no over / under voltage protection) with a stick of DDR3 ram that hadn't been touched by the psu, same issue occurs, leading me to believe ram is crossed out but i could be wrong.

I've asked around alot trying to see if each individual part could cause this, most people said gpu and/or cpu, my theory is that when my old power supply damaged my motherboard i'm currently using, it damaged the new parts i put it into, therefore same issue, however it's just a theory and not a very good one considering this is what im up against,

𝐂𝐏𝐔, 𝐆𝐏𝐔, 𝐑𝐀𝐌 & 𝐇𝐃𝐃/𝐒𝐒𝐃 went through extensive testing of 4 hours on burnintest, 0 errors occured, + benchmarks like UNIGINE heaven & UNIGINE valley DO NOT have the issue, neither does 𝐟𝐮𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐤 / 𝐟𝐮𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐤 𝐚𝐬𝐮𝐬 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧, only via games / windows, also the GPU, CPU & motherboard have no visual damage, no bent pins on cpu, can't really see the inside of the gpu, but it looks fine & motherboard has no leaking capacitors, all of them also have no bad symptoms whatsoever.

Nothing i've tried has worked & i'm left with my computer parts damaging eachother or my 𝐩𝐬𝐮 / 𝐫𝐚𝐦 / 𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝 being broken, i can't figure this out for the life of me and i'm going insane, i've got no idea if it's normal for your game feel to shift between fluid to sluggish / slow but based on my previous experience of years in gaming, it dosen't feel normal, also with my old parts (top of the page) the issue i've described never happened before my ssd failed.

My FPS stays consistent during the transition from fluid to sluggish and slow, temperatures are a solid 60c / 70c on 𝐜𝐩𝐮 & 𝐠𝐩𝐮, cpu dosen't hit 100% most the time and same with gpu, unless under very high settings in which it needs to push itself, same with cpu,

I have tested my PSU's voltages with a multimeter and done the fan spin test, the voltages are within the 5% tolerance range (2-3% for all of them last i checked), also they are currently around the same volts i checked two days ago on HWInfo.

few obvious things people have already asked me but i'll stop y'all from asking if you are going to,

• No i do not have vsync on
  • No it's not because my ram speed is slow and ryzen depends on higher ram speed, as i said this never happened before my ssd failed and i had the exact same ram speed.
  • Most the people i've shown videos to do not see the issue, but a few do, i'm guessing it's one of those things people don't notice too much, unless you're a gamer like me.
c
Here are a few video examples, most are fortnite but it is clearly visible, on my phone and my computer, atleast to me, and no i'm not insane, i cannot see the issue on other people's computers or youtube / streams.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWjcOI0uPzM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivxa-uWKxKM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOGhpGXkAT8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtzgQsge0Jk

That's all i've done and tested, now please help me, i'm very desperate, thanks.

PS : Sorry for all the reading, but i had to explain everything for y'all to understand.

Last edited:
Solution
Great so now i see half areas being slower and less fluid cause its 60hz, can i go backwards in time and not see it?

just fantastic nothing is broken after all i think..

the frametimes however do they look at all normal is something wrong with mine?

Well they look normal for someone running on a 60hz office monitor without synching

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Uh yeah man thats bad, that motherboard is junk. You probably broke some traces in there.

Red alert, i'm using my asus prime b450 plus and while using it on windows my screens blacked out and my fans started going MAX SPEED, couldnt tell if it was gpu or cpu, might one be damaged from using it on the other motherboard which has damaged traces?

motherboards can damage other components right ?'

Also could it be my power supply doing it, i checked the voltages via hwinfo and they are spiking up and down within the voltage regulation it didn't do that beforehand .

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Red alert, i'm using my asus prime b450 plus and while using it on windows my screens blacked out and my fans started going MAX SPEED, couldnt tell if it was gpu or cpu, might one be damaged from using it on the other motherboard which has damaged traces?

motherboards can damage other components right ?'

Also could it be my power supply doing it, i checked the voltages via hwinfo and they are spiking up and down within the voltage regulation it didn't do that beforehand .

So this is one of those cases where yes, due to physical damage one thing can cause other problems. The effects of that cracked motherboard can be VERY unpredictable, I wouldn't trust any readings you get from HW info on there as things could be shorting out, overvoltage, undervoltage, etc.

Unfortunately with shorts or just incorrect voltages yes you can damage parts. Maybe even the PSU but unlikely. Everything else though, theres a good chance.

Reactions: darknightbacca1

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
So this is one of those cases where yes, due to physical damage one thing can cause other problems. The effects of that cracked motherboard can be VERY unpredictable, I wouldn't trust any readings you get from HW info on there as things could be shorting out, overvoltage, undervoltage, etc.

Unfortunately with shorts or just incorrect voltages yes you can damage parts. Maybe even the PSU but unlikely. Everything else though, theres a good chance.

My pc black screened a bunch and had loud fan noises happen on the GPU, i uninstalled the drivers via DDU and reinstalled and hasn't crashed since, however it is a ton more laggy and choppy via games / windows

do you think the gpu may be bad? and will continued use of it damage any other components or perhaps the motherboard?

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
My pc black screened a bunch and had loud fan noises happen on the GPU, i uninstalled the drivers via DDU and reinstalled and hasn't crashed since, however it is a ton more laggy and choppy via games / windows

do you think the gpu may be bad? and will continued use of it damage any other components or perhaps the motherboard?

Unlikely to be damaging anything, as I said many times here aside from physical damage which was your motherboard, its unlikely that part would work at all, and would be damaging things.

As for if its bad. If everything is running not like it should then there is a chance. fresh Win 10 install on a good motherboard will tell you if a component isn't behaving as expected.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Unlikely to be damaging anything, as I said many times here aside from physical damage which was your motherboard, its unlikely that part would work at all, and would be damaging things.

As for if its bad. If everything is running not like it should then there is a chance. fresh Win 10 install on a good motherboard will tell you if a component isn't behaving as expected.

Is their anyway to 100% test if my graphics card is bad (my new one) it was used on the bent motherboard so it's possible the mobo damaged it, got any ideas for some tests i could run to 100% verify it is not bad ?

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Yeah find someone elses computer and test it in there. Otherwise theres really no way.

Hey sorry to keep asking you questions but your a good source of help, i'll make it short so recently i switched out my ryzen 7 to ryzen 3 in my computer to use my vega instead of my gpu, after what happened last time i still think it might be semi-broken, anyways i switched and noticed my CPU utilization was hitting 100% all the time and my choppyness & sluggishness was massively enhanced in games, tested my cpu completely no errors at all, next morning tested psu's voltages and they were high, 12V was hitting 16V so naturally i rma'd it, got the refund yesterday.

i'm getting a new PSU soon enough and am worried whether or not i should put it inside of my PC, i keep asking myself if my CPU or motherboard damaged the PSU and if i put a new one in, same thing rinse and repeat.

Should i be worried? what do you think

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Highly unlikely that the CPU or motherboard broke it. I would not be worried.

So the new PSU i'm getting is the RM550x V2, was going to get the Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 550W but figured i didn't need all the extra features, however their is one discernible difference, the protections both have OPP, OVP, UVP, OTP, SCP however the seasonic has OCP (over current protection), is it a huge difference between having it and not? when my psu invetably dies will it make a difference in whether my parts get burnt out if i have OCP?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
So the new PSU i'm getting is the RM550x V2, was going to get the Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 550W but figured i didn't need all the extra features, however their is one discernible difference, the protections both have OPP, OVP, UVP, OTP, SCP however the seasonic has OCP (over current protection), is it a huge difference between having it and not? when my psu invetably dies will it make a difference in whether my parts get burnt out if i have OCP?

The RM550x is not going to burn anything out. Its a very high quality unit. You have nothing to worry about.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
The RM550x is not going to burn anything out. Its a very high quality unit. You have nothing to worry about.

i've been trying to figure out is why the cpu utilization was hitting 100% constantly, do you know if a PSU can even do that cause i've checked everywhere and no indication it can, mostly just windows that can, and then again my GPU (1060) i've been using has been jumping inbetween fluid / sluggish & slow randomly in games, making me believe it's the cause, moreover that's why i switched to my ryzen 3 to test the vega. I put it in and the same sluggishness and lagginess was there even though last time i tested it wasn't.

Dosen't make sense, motherboard as you've said in the past most likely dosen't cause it, same with CPU, i've tested both alot and no issues.

It had to have been the psu causing the extra sluggishness + the utilization on my cpu right?

Also how do you know all these answers to my questions anyway? you been working a computer shop in the past or?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Also how do you know all these answers to my questions anyway? you been working a computer shop in the past or?

No I'm just making stuff up as I go along.

Just kidding. I've been working with computers for over 30 years, I have a bachelors in Computer Science and I currently am a system admin of an Oracle financial system.

100% its not the PSU, a PSU cannot cause that.

CPU utilization is caused by processes and software that are using it. Either a piece of software thats misbehaving, or you're just running too many things, or the software (game) needs all 100% of that core. OR the CPU is overheating and the processes running need 100% utilization just to perform.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
No I'm just making stuff up as I go along.

Just kidding. I've been working with computers for over 30 years, I have a bachelors in Computer Science and I currently am a system admin of an Oracle financial system.

100% its not the PSU, a PSU cannot cause that.

CPU utilization is caused by processes and software that are using it. Either a piece of software thats misbehaving, or you're just running too many things, or the software (game) needs all 100% of that core. OR the CPU is overheating and the processes running need 100% utilization just to perform.

Got my PSU (RM550x) a hour ago was setting up and noticed this on the external 24 pin connector cable

View: https://imgur.com/a/gaTZSi3

you think it's safe to use, i'm thinking it's residue left over from soldering however looks slightly like it's going into the pin.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Looks fine to me I wouldn't worry about it.

Cause everything must get worse, 99.7% sure my previous PSU damaged my ram, because random bsod's, black screens and applications closing is either ram or virus, using my old set and no bsod's so most likely ram + using memtest for many hours and passes brings up no errors + using memtest64, goldmemory, e.t.c

either way using vega with the bad ram or the other kit which is arguably bad as well brings me Huge ammounts of choppy frames on 60 fps (minecraft or fortnite as examples), so most likely ram's are bad.

here's a graph of current frametimes on my old kit via minecraft 60 FPS constant

https://gyazo.com/6501ebf76047dce4d496bb6d8c4eabc6
https://gyazo.com/fb77e977df73c208ca58ed671182fbb3
https://gyazo.com/9f605a504e77d13200b8c56b85ee550e
https://gyazo.com/95cb2cf1de16eafaa2face1a6233ecd0

You think my ram's are bad and need rma'ing? or perhaps my CPU or perhaps my motherboard?

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
I mean if you say it works better with your old ram, logically, somehow, the new ram is bad.

it dosen't work better, both ram sets have same choppiness, my new ram kit bsod's is the only difference xD

you know i've realised just how DIFFICULT it is to get 60 frames constant fluid in my experience, it always has to be ultra choppy sluggish and slow + something MUST break.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Blue screens with a specific set of ram tells me its bad. There, again, is still no way your PSU would damage only the ram.

yes as i said it must get worse, haven't even put my GPU in yet, that's prob broken too

do you know if it's possible for my CPU to be damaged causing loads of choppiness or even my motherboard? cause if it isn't then ram is the problem.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
OK I mean the 2200G is great but you shouldn't expect miracles vs a dedicated GPU like a 1060 or RX 580. With it limited to using system ram it will never be as smooth as a dedicated GPU.

Fair point but the absolute difference i'm seeing here is a while ago before my psu broke i tested my vega with the geil ram kit (that is bad now) and it was fully fluid with no choppiness at all so idk what's up with that.