Question Issue Running AnyDesk on Xenialpup 7.5 – Shared Libraries Missing (But They're Not?)

Jun 25, 2019
I have an old laptop that I bought from the hardware sale at our company which originally shipped with Vista and I used to run Windows XP on it. XP is pretty outdated so I decided to go with a lightweight Linux distro instead, Xenialpup seemed pretty good.

I'd like to use AnyDesk for controlling other computers using the laptop. I don't use Linux on a daily basis and am thus fairly inexperienced, so I wasn't sure how I could get access to repositories that have AnyDesk, if there are any. The built-in package manager didn't have it, so I just downloaded the "Generic Linux 64 Bit" version from the official website.

There were no installation instructions so after extracting the package using the package manager I figured I just had to run the program. However, it's giving me the following error:
./anydesk: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So I went and got the file from this site but it's still giving me that error! When I checked /usr/lib the file was in fact there. Or rather, it is a symlink tha points to libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0.0.0 which is also included in the package... but that shouldn't make a difference, right? Still, this error persists. I'm at a dead end because I have no idea what's going on and I couldn't find anything useful on Google.

7dgwVGE.png

You're missing some key information in your post:
  • What is the model / make / specs of that laptop?
  • What version of Linux you've installed? What bit size (32/64)? With (very) old hardware, I'd stick to 32-bit distros, even if they are not the latest version (eg Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is still available in 32-bit flavor);
  • Instead of "Generic", you should have downloaded .deb/.rpm package

Jun 25, 2019
I don't know the exact specs or how to check them and I'm not sure why they matter to be honest, but it does have 8 GB RAM and the original Windows Vista it was sold with was the 64 bit version. Therefore, I also installed 64 bit Linux.

I tried Generic first, I was later told I could have used the Debian one, so I uninstalled the Generic one and replaced it with the Debian one, but the issue persists. It's still giving me that same error.