Question Issue with App access to Lorex LNR 300 DVR

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
So my house is currently wired up with 4 Lorex IP cameras going to my PoE switch. Elsewhere in the network I have a Lorex LNR 300 DVR which is configured to record from those cameras. I use the Lorex "netHD Stratus" app on both my Android Phone and my wife's iPhone to view the cameras remotely. This was all working perfectly for a few weeks.

Now suddenly I cannot connect to view the Cameras or access the DVR via the app from outside my network. I get the error "Create Tunnel Failed".

The ONLY thing that changed on my network is I disabled the RDP port I had open on my router (Dlink DSR-250)due to security concerns, however that port does not correspond to any port mentioned by Lorex as needed by the system.

Anyone ever dealt with this?

seveneyes7

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
I set up an openvpn server on centos and after a bit of firewall and routing setting was able to connect to it over LTE using my cell phone. I then set the lorex system back to the default ports and removed firewall rules for it. Connected using the lorex client configured with the local subnet ip. All worked fine, so this does work over VPN which I'm going to use from now on.

Jan 8, 2020
This is a known Lorex issue. It started last August/September. Basically cloud access (using the QR code) has been turned off for some NVRs including the LNR380. The only way to access these remotely now is to forward ports. The downside of this is that now you have to have the ability to forward ports. Some people are not able to because of their ISP. I myself have to pay my WISP an extra $5 a month, to be given a public ip capable of forwarding ports. Sucks, but it is what it is.

For people having trouble viewing the cameras via browser, you must use IE (not Edge), and you have to add the ip address of the camera system to the Trusted Sites in Internet Options, and the Compatibility View settings. Then install the plug in, restart the browser and it will work.

Reactions: NortonCO
Jan 8, 2020
Here is Lorexs explanation of it. Pick your NVR, which app you use, and it will tell you how you need to remotely connect. In my case, I have an LNR380, and use the NetHD Stratus app. No other app would work. Since that was the only app that would work with my LNR380, according to the website below the only way to remotely connect is through port forwarding. https://www.lorextechnology.com/up

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019
Nothing works for me anymore. I spent hours on the phone with Lorex tech support and they cannot get the Lorex Cloud app to connect on any of my devices, Android or iOS. It just says "failed to connect" every time. They had no clue why after trying literally everything mentioned in these threads and more. I've given up and started buying Nest cams to replace the Lorex cams. Lorex cameras are so antiquated now by comparison to high def cloud cams with seamless app integration I dont know why anyone would still buy them. We've just been trying to get as much use out of the LNR380 we bought 6 years ago, but it appears Lorex just doesn't care anymore so we're giving up. I'm a little sad because of how much time and money we spent hard wiring the whole house with ethernet cables for the 6 Lorex cams we have...we'll leave them running and connected to the DVR in case we ever need to reference the cams for anything, but at this point we stopped trying to view them remotely. Unless you have little to no internet bandwidth or access, the quality and accessibility of much cheaper cameras like Next or Wyze makes Lorex a dinosaur in this business, and the meteor has come. I dont recommend these to anyone who is considering them if for no other reason than Lorex support is clueless and doesn't care.

Sep 12, 2019
I successfully configured DDNS and I can even reach my DVR with a web browser from outside my local network. Unfortunately, still appears to be no fix for the "Please click here to download and install the plug-in. Close the browser when installing the plug-in" problem. :mad:

May 21, 2020
Hi everyone, as a first timer to this forum I'm relieved yet very much dismayed to see that I'm not the only one suffering from this problem since Lorex migrated its Peer to Peer (P2P) to a cloud based services.

I was left in the lurch and getting the runaround from my ISP and Lorex since Fall 2019. I've encountered all the issues that have been described - from using their Lorex Cloud mobile and client software (which was later deemed by Lorex as incompatible with the LNR300 series) to forwarding ports which seemed to stay open only seconds after rebooting the NVR and closes thereafter. Lorex tells me to contact ISP to see if ports are blocked...ISP tells me that they're not, contact Lorex - wash...rinse...repeat.

It's been frustrating to say the least, dealing with remote access repeatedly by Lorex's and my ISP's techs - yet to no avail. However, I've kept the NetHD Stratus apps and client software only to view the cameras locally...but is absolutely useless once I'm away from home.

Shame on Lorex for not implementing a proper migration or a fix/patch for that annoying web browser plug-in which never seems to install/work even after successfully creating a DDNS. To save my sanity, I simply gave up before flipping out and now frequently check online for a fix...here I am again.

Good luck to all, stay safe and healthy and keep a calm head when dealing with this issue.

Dec 3, 2019
I've completely given up on Lorex. We still have the cameras plugged in for reference should we ever need to go back and look at the footage, but I've since put up a handful of Next outdoor cams and the Nest Hello doorbell and just use Google services now since they're so much better quality, reliability, and easy mobile access. Lorex never again! They are a dinosaur and the meteors have come.

Reactions: Not.Yet
May 21, 2020
I've completely given up on Lorex. We still have the cameras plugged in for reference should we ever need to go back and look at the footage, but I've since put up a handful of Next outdoor cams and the Nest Hello doorbell and just use Google services now since they're so much better quality, reliability, and easy mobile access. Lorex never again! They are a dinosaur and the meteors have come.
Agreed...I've been entertaining that idea and seriously considering doing the same.