Question Issue with Cavalry EN-CAHDD2BU3C-ZB external USB 3.0 SATA

dorkshoei

Honorable
Mar 15, 2017
I can't tell if Cavalry has gone out of business (used to be calvarystorage.com)

I have an EN-CAHDD2BU3C-ZB USB 3.0 Duplicator

My 4GB Barracuda SATA drive (that I use for backups started to report the dreaded "USB Device Not Recognized" error when powered on (Windows 10). I thought the cable was bad and so purchased a new one (USB3). Controller is USB3. I've tried switching ports.

At this point the drive when connected to the Calvary and powered on (connects and is visible in Drive Management) maybe 1 power-on in 10.

However, the drive works 100% of the time when connected to a different USB/SATA adapter. And different SATA drives (I tried two) work 100% of the time when connected to the Calvary.

Any debugging suggestions?

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to see if the docking unit has the same issue on a donor system. If the same issue crops up, then it's probably the chip/.controller onboard the docking unit that's causing the issue. I would also advise on making sure your platform(system) isn't pending any BIOS and OS updates. Try reinstalling your chipset/USB drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, as well.

dorkshoei

Honorable
Mar 15, 2017
Might want to see if the docking unit has the same issue on a donor system. If the same issue crops up, then it's probably the chip/.controller onboard the docking unit that's causing the issue. I would also advise on making sure your platform(system) isn't pending any BIOS and OS updates. Try reinstalling your chipset/USB drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, as well.

It's a Febsmart 4 port USB 3.0 PCIe card installed into my Windows 10 PC. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072LS4JH7

The motherboard only has USB 2 support.

I just discovered that in addition the the Calvary USB 3.0 SATA dock no longer working when connected to the Febsmart my USB 3.0 card reader (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082W816GW) also has the same issue.

They both work fine connecting to the native USB 2.0 port on the motherboard and to another donor machine.

The Febsmart uses the RENESAS chipset, I deleted it's driver in Windows (device manager) and rebooted causing it to be reinstalled. Same issue. Supposedly support is plug-n-play in Windows 10. I don't have a driver I can manually install.

It seems it's just storage devices that are having an issue when connecting to the Febsmart. My phone/tablet still work fine but they connect using MTP.

I see other reviews on Amazon complaining their Febsmart card starting exhibiting issues like this after a few months.

I suppose I can try moving the PCIe card into another system and see if the issue continues there.

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard?

It says that it's plug and play, but I suspect either your OS is corrupt or your drivers are messed up. Might want to try and manually install the driver in compatibility mode, i.e, Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility tab>Windows 7(from the drop down menu).

I tend to steer clear of add-on USB cards like the one you have. They tend to fail quite often. If you don't have native 3.0 support, you should look into a platform that has it natively.