Question Issue with connecting both PC and wireless router to the same poe switch - only one will work at a time ?

NeroSS

Honorable
Dec 31, 2016
First post here or first post in a very long time so please be nice :)

Every cable I am using is a brand new, tested, cat5e cable. I tested them first on different devices to rule that out at the beginning.
-
Here's the rest of my setup.
I am currently running a modem provided by Spectrum. Model ET2251 made by Technicolor (as far as I can tell via google search) and only has one ethernet port on the back.
From there, I have that one port plugged into my wireless router which is an ASUS RT-AC3200 - tri band router with 4 additional ethernet ports on the back.
From there, I run one line to my roku device plugged up to the tv and then I run another port over to my pc - the other two ports are empty.

This has worked great, but recently I've been experiencing connectivity issues with the router which don't affect the ethernet ports on the back. Every wireless device in the house will lose internet connection but the ethernet ports on the back will not lose any connection.
The only fix is to reset the wireless router and take everything in the house down till it's back up.
I decided to negate that by purchasing a switch to put next to the modem, run one port to another passive poe switch hub in the attic and then hard line the other tvs, roku devices etc from there.

The wireless router will be moved to a more central area in the house and will basically just have the cell phones on it and maybe a laptop or tablet. The idea is to get the rokus off that wireless router and have a better connection at all times.

After speaking with my IT guy at work, he directed me to the TP-Link model TL-SG1005P which is a 5 port PoE switch to plug into the modem and then a Netgear, 8 port passive managed PoE switch; model GS108T
I don't even want to get into that switch or the attic yet as my issue is with this TP link 4 port switch and my current setup. None of the wires have even been dropped for the other devices till I can figure this 4 port switch issue.
-
When connecting my modem to the TP-Link ethernet switch, I get a connection. When connecting my PC to that switch which is connected directly to the modem, I get a solid connection there.
If I use another port that goes to my roku device next to the modem, then it will work. My issue is when I plug the wireless router into the poe switch. When that happens, the router will not have an internet connection.
I've tested another port that actively gets a signal and shows that it's sending up to 1000mbs speed to the wireless router, but the router does not have an internet connection. The PC and Roku will still have an internet connection but not the wireless router.
I tried the other open 3 ports on the wireless router but still run into the same issue.
-
To try to fix the issue, I unplugged every ethernet cable and started with just the modem. I already know it all works without the TP-Link switch in the mix and I need to use this (or another switch) so I plug the modem back into the TP-Link switch. Once that switch has been powered up, I wait for all of the lights to come on. From there, I decided to plug in the wireless router first and once that happened, I got an internet connection with the router. So I thought that fixed it so I plugged in my pc to another open port on the switch as well as the roku device.
My PC will see that there is a connection but will not receive an IP address if the wireless router is plugged in first. The Roku device will see the wired connection but will not have internet.
That's the entire issue - I can only have one or the other plugged in and that's just not going to work. In order for me to hard line everything AND move the wireless router out of it's current room, I have to have the modem plugged into the switch first and then use those 4 ports from the switch to run the passive switch in the attic, my pc and then my roku device which is going to be right next to the switch in that room.
Right now, I have the modem plugged into the switch then the wireless router plugged in first. From there, I plugged my pc cable into the back of the wireless router and have my connection like I used to. I don't have to move the router right now but when I get all the lines dropped and the new passive switch/hub installed then I'll be needing to move this thing.
-
I'm beginning to think that it has something to do with the actual model and not the switch or router. I don't have enough experience with these things to understand it. I did bring it up to my IT guy today and he suggested running the wireless router in "access point" mode instead of wireless router mode to see if that would fix it. It did not and I had to hard reset the thing just to be able to access its functions and UI again.
If anyone has had experience with this issue then I'd love some feedback. I've been searching random posts about this specific poe switch and this specific router but I've had no luck.
Please advise me and thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Your problem is you think the router is only there to provide wifi.

Your problem is the ISP only gives you a single IP address so only 1 device can be connected to the modem. That is the key purpose of the router to share this one ip with all the other devices.

The connection must go.

ISP--modem--router--switch.

NeroSS

Honorable
Dec 31, 2016
I figured it out this morning. Apparently the modem provided by my ISP is just that. a modem. non router.
So I either need to get a modem/router combo or keep it and change the POE switch to a router.
I knew that the wireless router had the ability to route the signal but I can't keep using it as a router as I am moving it to a different room and won't be using it as a router after that. It's sole job will be to handle the wireless load for other devices that are solely wireless. I just thought that the switch I purchased had the capability of routing as well and it doesn't.
Got it all squared away on how it has to be fixed so thank you very much for the input.

You need nothing fancy just buy a very inexpensive router and turn off the wifi radios if you like. Most routers can pass 1gbit traffic wan/lan. They make routers that do not have wifi but they are more expensive, partially because many also support much more advanced routing options used by commercial installs.