Question Issue with GPU Fans.

mysteriousaeon

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
I'm having a weird problem with my GPU fans. The GPU is a MSI GTX 1080 ARMOR and the PSU is a Corsair TX750M. the GPU has two fans. the left fan can't spin to full speed and slows down on its own, like it struggles. The right fan cant start spinning on its own, I have to spin the middle with my finger and only then it stays spinning. These issues happen even with MSI Afterburner fans on 100% (the fans definitely don't run at 100% even after its set though).

I'm only having fan issues with the GPU so I don't think it's a PSU problem. My guess would be the fan connector cable or just the fan bearings, I've already ordered new fans to replace but I wanted some thoughts from here as well.

Thanks in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
I'd try and source a replacement fan for your GPU off of Aliexpress or Ebay and see if that alleviates the issue you're facing. On a side note, how old is the PSU in your build? BIOS version for your motherboard? Make and model of said motherboard? Have you tried dropping the GPU into a donor system with more than ample power for the entire system to see if the fans behave the same way on said donor system?

mysteriousaeon

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
I'd try and source a replacement fan for your GPU off of Aliexpress or Ebay and see if that alleviates the issue you're facing. On a side note, how old is the PSU in your build? BIOS version for your motherboard? Make and model of said motherboard? Have you tried dropping the GPU into a donor system with more than ample power for the entire system to see if the fans behave the same way on said donor system?
The PSU is 3 years old, I bought it with the GPU so the GPU is also 3 years old. Motherboard is a Crosshair VIII Hero and the bios is 3801 but I don't think my BIOS is causing issues, as I noticed the fan problem only today (and maybe yesterday since I did notice odd temps but didn't check the fans). Sadly I have no way to test the GPU on another system.

TRENDING THREADS