Question Issue with Random Shutdowns

My Pet Russian

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2015
Just wondering if anyone has any advice or ideas on an issue I'm facing. I currently have an issue where my computer will just lose power. I don't get a blue screen or any error messages, just lose power. My RAM stays lit up and so do some little LEDs on my motherboard (such as the activity lights on my ethernet) and I have to turn off the power supply until the lights go out before the computer will start back up. Checking event viewer doesn't show any errors in the system side, It just shows when the PC starts back up.

The issue started about a year and a bit ago but has increased in frequency recently, I don't remember when it exactly started. Used to happen once every 3-4 months now once or twice a week, and usually if it happens once in a day it's quickly followed by another.

Just looking for some suggestions of what to try next or whats causing it as I'd rather not just spend money blindly. I've listed the current specs I think are important below, but if you need any else I can provide them.

Thanks for any help.

My Specs are:

i7-8700k, not OC'd at the moment

RTX3080 MSI Gaming X Trio

32GB DDR4 3600MHz (just bought recently, issue was happening before this purchase)

Z370 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon

HX750i 750W Corsair PSU

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Just wondering if anyone has any advice or ideas on an issue I'm facing. I currently have an issue where my computer will just lose power. I don't get a blue screen or any error messages, just lose power. My RAM stays lit up and so do some little LEDs on my motherboard (such as the activity lights on my ethernet) and I have to turn off the power supply until the lights go out before the computer will start back up. Checking event viewer doesn't show any errors in the system side, It just shows when the PC starts back up.

The issue started about a year and a bit ago but has increased in frequency recently, I don't remember when it exactly started. Used to happen once every 3-4 months now once or twice a week, and usually if it happens once in a day it's quickly followed by another.

Just looking for some suggestions of what to try next or whats causing it as I'd rather not just spend money blindly. I've listed the current specs I think are important below, but if you need any else I can provide them.

Thanks for any help.

My Specs are:

i7-8700k, not OC'd at the moment

RTX3080 MSI Gaming X Trio

32GB DDR4 3600MHz (just bought recently, issue was happening before this purchase)

Z370 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon

HX750i 750W Corsair PSU
When I see issues involving power, I usually think of the power source. See if you can borrow one for troubleshooting purposes.

My Pet Russian

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2015
if lights are still shining and/or fans are still spinning then you have not lost power.

keep an eye on live temperatures as the crashing occurs.
report back with CPU & GPU temps up until the crash.
Sorry forgot to say that. Temps are stable, at max load neither the GPU or CPU go above about 70 degrees. I've had it happen while playing games, I've also had it while just sat browsing the internet with nothing in the background.

My Pet Russian

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2015
That's a tripping protection feature in the PSU.

How is the PSU connected to the GPU. With one daisy chained cable or with two seperate cables?
Is the PSU set to 12v single rail or 12v multi rail mode?
Is Corsair Link active?
two cables, 3x 8pin slots. Both are daisy chain cables, but obviously only using one plug on one of the cables. Corsair link is active and it looks like it was set to multi rail mode. Which should I be using?