Question issue with rx6800xt in games utilizing 80% or less

thedominator1550

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
hi , i've noticed in two games that my gpu aint being used to it full power
both cal of duty mw2 2022 and valorant

in valorant i dont need my gpu to be used to it maximum power i just need a 200 stable frames and its an easy game to run

for COD i used to run it better 200 frames at 2k with 100% usage but now for some reason its only 70% give or take and its stable

tried a simple fix from the settings went to the graphics settings of windows and made sure they were at high performance and its the same

Specs:
monitor : xb271hu
Motherboard: MSI x570 Gaming Edge
GPU: RX 6800 XT
GPU Driver: 23.3.2
CPU: RYZEN 9 5900X
RAM: 32GB 3600hz
PSU: corsair rm850

Solution
It's still worth checking the CPU for high single core usage while monitoring the GPU to see clockspeeds and power usage of each under these circumstances. Also check temps on both, though I'd be really surprised if the CPU had any temp issues while gaming.
what i've just noticed
only one thread is working with the game for some reason .there are no temp issues
I'm not really clear on whether or not there's a performance problem here? Usually if the GPU isn't being used to maximum it's because there's some sort of frame rate limit being enforced or the CPU is holding it back.

A little more clarity on what performance you're seeing specifically might help.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
D

Deleted member 2947362

Could be something in the games Graphics or Video settings may have changed ? maybe Vsync is enabled or limit FPS or make sure anti lag is disabled in AMD graphics settings that might help ?

thedominator1550

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
I'm not really clear on whether or not there's a performance problem here? Usually if the GPU isn't being used to maximum it's because there's some sort of frame rate limit being enforced or the CPU is holding it back.

A little more clarity on what performance you're seeing specifically might help.
there is issue both these games are using 70% of the gpu and both games frames are uncapped

I guess the question would be then what changed between now and the last time it was working? Driver update? Windows update? Any hardware changes at all with the PC?

Something is bottlenecking your performance it could be the CPU (check if any cores are at high usage) and it could also be power limit on the GPU (usually this would need to be intentionally set lower as default settings shouldn't have this behavior, but it could still be this).

D

Deleted member 2947362

there is issue both these games are using 70% of the gpu and both games frames are uncapped
Bloody PC's lol

Ahh I have to laff sometimes Good ol PC master race lol funny thing is they don't tell ya half the issue you will come across when gaming on PC's lol

thedominator1550

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
I guess the question would be then what changed between now and the last time it was working? Driver update? Windows update? Any hardware changes at all with the PC?

Something is bottlenecking your performance it could be the CPU (check if any cores are at high usage) and it could also be power limit on the GPU (usually this would need to be intentionally set lower as default settings shouldn't have this behavior, but it could still be this).
i did format my windows but in the begining it was good and fine
than i installed another gpu (RTX 2060) to run another monitor (if i run my main monitor with another monitor on the same gpu it souses stutter monitor issue) those are the changes that i hade .

Well I think you've found the source of your problem. Not that it's impossible to work with but you're running AMD and nvidia hardware in your system, and I'm assuming drivers for both. This is generally just a bad idea.

You should also have no issues with plugging multiple monitors into a single card. I'm using a VRR 144hz ultrawide main display with 60hz 1200p display and have never had any issues (also have 60hz 4k tv plugged in, but can't remember if I've used it with my current card).

thedominator1550

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
Well I think you've found the source of your problem. Not that it's impossible to work with but you're running AMD and nvidia hardware in your system, and I'm assuming drivers for both. This is generally just a bad idea.

You should also have no issues with plugging multiple monitors into a single card. I'm using a VRR 144hz ultrawide main display with 60hz 1200p display and have never had any issues (also have 60hz 4k tv plugged in, but can't remember if I've used it with my current card).

took the rtx 2060 out used DDU to uninstall both gpu drivers then installed amd driver and still the same issue

It's still worth checking the CPU for high single core usage while monitoring the GPU to see clockspeeds and power usage of each under these circumstances. Also check temps on both, though I'd be really surprised if the CPU had any temp issues while gaming.

Last edited:

thedominator1550

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
what i've just noticed
only one thread is working with the game for some reason .there are no temp issues

Last edited:
Reactions: thestryker
Solution
what i've just noticed
This is generally where you run into problems with running high FPS when gaming. That's why Intel with their high clockspeeds is better than AMD's 5000 series in many of the lighter load titles. Depending on the display type you have getting a really high frame rate might not be all that important. I have a monitor that goes up to 144hz and honestly I cannot tell an input difference between 144fps and in the mid 200s. So depending on the refresh rate of your screen you might be able to cap the frame rate and never notice the difference. It'd be worth testing out for yourself at least.