Question Issue with stutters in games 9900k + 3080

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkeh

Commendable
Jun 13, 2021
PC specs: i9-9900k, 32GB 3600MHz RAM (corsair rgb pro), 3080 STRIX OC, ASUS Essence STX 2 (sound card), ASUS z390-PRIME motherboard, ASUS Ryujin 360 AIO cooler, Corsair TX850m PSU, ASUS ROG Delta S headset, Samsung SSD 970 EVO plus 1TB NVMe, Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB SATA, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB SATA, Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB SATA, ASUS PG278QR Gsync Monitor, Corsair M55RGB Pro Mouse, Corsair K70R Keyboard.

For the last month or so I've been getting a periodic stutter in games. I also rarely get input lag within windows. The stutter in games coincides with a negative power spike on the 3080 (measured through GPU Tweak, though I've also measured the same with MSI afterburner) - for example 70% down to 30% then immediately back again. The stutter is intermittent and doesn't seem to coincide with any sort of usage, seems entirely arbitrary infact. Most recently in Doom eternal, a game which doesn't push my system at all. Also happens in other games.

Things I've tried: Replaced motherboard (from a z370-f), Replaced RAM (3 different sets) removed SSD's, removed headset, clean reinstalled windows (twice), replaced CPU (from an 8700k), replaced Displayport cable (twice), several sets of drivers for GPU, tried with ReBAR on and off, tried several different BIOS versions on both motherboards, tried several different bios versions for the 3080. Still have the same intermittent issue. The one thing that is consistant is that the power usage hase a negative spike at the same time that the games stutter.

Please help, this has been driving me nuts and has already cost a lot of money in attempting to solve the issue.

My 9900k got 565.2 single thread, and 5822.4 multi thread. It's locked to 4.8Ghz atm, I don't know how much that would impact the score though.
It is usually better to let the turbo mechanism take place instead of overclocking.
That will let one or two cores boost past an all core overclock.
That is exactly what you want for games.
Other conditions apply to get max turbo.
Mainly low usage of other resources and a cpu temperature under 70c.

Monkeh

Commendable
Jun 13, 2021
Sorry for the delay, I have managed to get myself a sinus infection, so I've not done much of anything for a few days. Unfortunately nothing made a difference, I did everything you suggested. Thankyou for trying, it was worth a shot :)

Monkeh

Commendable
Jun 13, 2021
Don't know what else to suggest. Can you record video externally? Maybe we think of more ideas then. I say externally because what you see on screen will be different of scenes recorded internally via recording software.

Yes, I can do this - It will be a few days before I'll have a chance to, though.

Thank you again and to everyone else, that is taking the time to help!

Monkeh

Commendable
Jun 13, 2021
It is usually better to let the turbo mechanism take place instead of overclocking.
That will let one or two cores boost past an all core overclock.
That is exactly what you want for games.
Other conditions apply to get max turbo.
Mainly low usage of other resources and a cpu temperature under 70c.

So, I removed the static OC and let it run off of the standard turbo profile, my score somehow got worse, lol. For some reason, it maxed out at 4.7GHz on all cores. I don't think that temperature was the limiter, as it maxed at 61 °C.

Scores dropped to 540 single core and 5500 multicore (roughly)

Not sure why I'm seeing this behaviour from my CPU/Mobo.
Thank you for your help, everything I try is something I can check off the list of potential culprits. :)

Monkeh

Commendable
Jun 13, 2021
Update: Bought a new PC, kept the GPU; problem solved. Still don't know what the issue was.
Apologies for not reporting back with footage of the issue, I ran out of patience trying to solve this.
Thank you to everyone that tried to help, best wishes to you all!

For anyone interested, the new build is:
CPU: 12700k
MOBO: MSI MPG Z690 Carbon
Storage: 2x 1TB WD BLACK SN850 m.2 / 2tb Seagate Barracuda HDD
RAM: 32gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 5600 c36
CPU cooler: NH-D15 chromax black
PSU: Seasonic PRIME PX1000
Case: Fractal Design Torrent Black TG (Dark Tint)
GPU: 3080 STRIX OC (from previous build)

Last edited:
Reactions: helper800 and boju
Oct 28, 2021
Update: Bought a new PC, kept the GPU; problem solved. Still don't know what the issue was.
Apologies for not reporting back with footage of the issue, I ran out of patience trying to solve this.
Thank you to everyone that tried to help, best wishes to you all!

For anyone interested, the new build is:
CPU: 12700k
MOBO: MSI MPG Z690 Carbon
Storage: 2x 1TB WD BLACK SN850 m.2 / 2tb Seagate Barracuda HDD
RAM: 32gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 5600 c36
CPU cooler: NH-D15 chromax black
PSU: Seasonic PRIME PX1000
Case: Fractal Design Torrent Black TG (Dark Tint)
GPU: 3080 STRIX OC (from previous build)
Shame, I wanted to come to the end of this thread to have all my stutters solved! But happy you have sanity back

Reactions: Monkeh
Status
Not open for further replies.