Question Issue with transfer of data out of SSD via docking station

Pearsonsbyte

Prominent
Oct 25, 2022
Hi, I am new to the forum and not very adept with the IT jargons used, so if my question comes off as too confusing, please let me know and I will try my best to correct myself.

I have a Crucial mx500 SSD connected to my main PC via an MAIWO 2 bay SATA HDD docking station I use to store my work on. Both the docking station and SSD are only around 6 months old.

Today I tried to backup my files on the SSD for the first time, and attempted to transfer a 5Gb folder to an external hard drive. However, the progress got stuck at 3% and then it caused my PC to crash. Basically the PC was loading for a long time without progress and had to manually press the on/off button to start up my PC. The SSD also could not be read by the PC the first time this happened and I had to restart the docking station for the HDMI connection to be re-established. There doesn't seem to be an issue with creating and storing data on the SSD, just that it can't send data out.

I tried to transfer 3 more times with smaller file sizes but each resulted in the same thing. Am honestly panicking and at my wit's end now as I have no idea what is going on. Would really appreciate if someone can provide me some insight on what's going on and how to fix this.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What is the power source for the MAIWO 2?

This unit?

MAIWO 2

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

What backup procedure/process or app are you using for backups and transfers?

One thought is that the forced power off may have corrupted files.

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters.

Then try "dism" and "sfc /scannow".

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

While your title talks about "transfer of data" and you mention that a few times in the post, you never make it clear how you go about to transfer this data.

Assuming Windows as your Operating system, the first things that comes to my mind is: copy-paste or from the Command prompt using the command COPY, neither of which should give the result you describe.

Perhaps you can tell us what you do to "transfer data", and exactly how. Layman's terms are totally fine to use.

TRENDING THREADS