[SOLVED] Issues Regarding Intel Turbo Boost (Intel i7-10700)

Jun 5, 2021
Hey there,

My PC has always been a bit loud during gaming, and I've been experiencing a lot of crashes in Apex Legends recently, so I decided to take a look at my CPU temps.

unknown.png

It's not uncommon for my temperatures to look like this, and I think this may be why my game has been crashing so often.

Now, I heard this is solved by turning off Intel Turbo Boost in my motherboard's BIOS. After doing this, I'm getting a cool 60° maximum, there have been no more crashes and my PC is fairly quiet, which is very nice. The only issue though, however, is that in certain areas in Apex, I'll get steep FPS drops when I had 0 FPS drops before, and it's amplified when I have other windows opened or watching streams on my other monitor.

Is there an in between I can go to? Turbo Boost on makes my CPU run TOO hot, and Turbo Boost off dips my performance too much. Considering the CPU runs at a reasonable temperature while it's running at its intended speed (without Turbo Boost), it couldn't be my cooling system, right?

Is there an in-between I can go to? Like half of Turbo Boosts' effectiveness without making my CPU reach 100°?

Thanks for the help.

Solution
There is something wrong with your cooler.
The minimum cpu temperature should be 10-15c. over ambient.
I suspect your cooler is loose or not level.
If it is the stock cooler, here is how to mount it:
----------------how to mount the stock Intel cooler--------------

The stock Intel cooler can be tricky to install.
A poor installation will result in higher cpu temperatures.
If properly mounted, you should expect temperatures at idle to be 10-15c. over ambient.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with the motherboard.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position...
Jun 5, 2021
unknown.png

My case is a Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black. I use the stock fan that came with the processor. All fans are working properly with no dust. Should I be reapplying thermal paste?

There is something wrong with your cooler.
The minimum cpu temperature should be 10-15c. over ambient.
I suspect your cooler is loose or not level.
If it is the stock cooler, here is how to mount it:
----------------how to mount the stock Intel cooler--------------

The stock Intel cooler can be tricky to install.
A poor installation will result in higher cpu temperatures.
If properly mounted, you should expect temperatures at idle to be 10-15c. over ambient.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with the motherboard.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the opposite direction of the arrow,(clockwise)
and pulled up as far as they can go.
Take the time to play with the pushpin mechanism until you know how they work.
Orient the 4 pins so that they are exactly over the motherboard holes.
If one is out of place, you will damage the pins which are delicate.
Push down on a DIAGONAL pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.
When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.
If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard should be out of the case to do the job. Or you need a case with a opening that lets you see the pins.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly
unless you can verify that the pins are through the motherboard and locked.

If you should need to remove the cooler, first run the cpu to heat it up and soften the paste before shutting down and powering off the pc. That makes it easy to unstick the old cooler.
Turn the pins counter clockwise to unlock them.
You will need to clean off the old paste and reapply new if you ever take the cooler off.
Clean off old paste with alcohol and a lint free paper like a coffee filter.
Apply new paste sparingly. A small rice sized drop in the center will spread our under heat and pressure.
Too much paste is bad, it will act as an insulator.
It is hard to use too little.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solution
Do you have any recommendations? Even for a stock cooler, I feel like a CPU getting to 100° is a bit ridiculous.
100c. is the point where a processor will throttle to prevent damage.
You lose performance.
If you remount your stock cooler, run cpu-Z bench as a simple stress test. If it runs at 85c. or less, you are ok.
A bit noisy perhaps with the small 92mm fan.
Your i7-10700(not the K suffix) has a tdp of 65w. That does not require expensive cooling.
Your case allows 165mm for a cooler.
The noctua nh-U12s (or redux) is simple to mount and effective, about $50.
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nf-p12-redux-1700-pwm/p/13C-0005-001N1
Here is the noctua cooler buying guide:
https://noctua.at/en/buying-guide-cpu-coolers
The NH-D15s is as good as it gets for an air cooler, but it will cost more like $90
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nh-d15s/p/N82E16835608072

Is there an in-between I can go to? Like half of Turbo Boosts' effectiveness without making my CPU reach 100°?

Thanks for the help.
Your mobo should have TDP limit settings, if the turbo you used was with auto settings they used way too much power to do the turbo, you can set the power limits, especially tau but also, short duration/long duration to intel specs and let it turbo like intended and if that is still cool enough you can raise it even more.
If you want tau to be indefinite so it always turbos then only change the value of PL2/long duration and lower it in steps.

Unless I missed it, we do not know what the make/model of your motherboard is.
CPU-Z will tell you.
Simple motherboards will not have many tuning knobs.
Not that it really matters. The default turbo mechanism takes into account your current workload as well as your cpu cooling capabilities. It does the best it can with what you have.

Today, your problem is that you have not likely mounted the stock cooler well.
As evidenced by high idle temperatures.
My recommendation is to first buy some thermal paste(any will do) and some alcohol to clean and remount your cooler.
I suspect that will fix all.

If you want to bypass this step, you need no more than a simple tower cooler with a 120mm fan.
There are some cheap units out there like the cm hyper212 series. I found the one I mounted to be difficult to do properly and the instructions were terrible.

Spend a few bucks for a high quality noctua NH-U12s which is easy to mount.
It will include an excellent paste.
You should also buy some alcohol to clean off the old surfaces. The purer the better. 92% if you can find it, 70% is ok.
I use paper coffee filters to clean off old paste. They do not shed lint which is not good to have on the mating surfaces.
As a tip, run the cpu a bit to warm it up before shutting down.
This softens the old paste, making it easy to remove the old cooler.