[SOLVED] Issues when upgrading CPU

Jul 9, 2019
So I recently bought an intel i7 9700k to upgrade from my intel i5 4460. I also purchased a cooler master hyper 212 evo since I was using a stock cooler before. After upgrading (kind of sloppily since it was my first time upgrading a cpu) the computer turned on for a split second then turned back off. I showered the internet the tried some solutions but eventually just reseated the cpu and tried again. This time, the computer turned on but my monitor received no signal. After trying nearly everything (using motherboard hdmi socket, resetting cmos although I didn’t take the battery out because it didn’t seem like it wanted to come out) I had no luck. I tried numerous solutions while swapping between the new processor and the old processor to try to figure it out. Eventually, I came across a new issue where the power button did nothing at all when I had the i7 in. I swapped back to the i5 and even to the stock cooler, and I came across the same issue where the computer turned on with no signal. I am using a Fatal1ty killer Z97 motherboard. My question is 1. How can I fix the turn on but no signal issue and 2. Although I fear the i7 might have been killed in my struggles, is this actually the case and can I fix it somehow? Also I did check the motherboard socket pins and they all seemed unbent

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Intel 9th gen isn't compatible with that motherboard. You need a 300 series board.
I think you killed the motherboard too. A 9700k in a Z97? For that short time you had it powered on, you likely fried a mosfet or capacitor on it. That's why the old cpu doesn't work when you put it back in.
Now you have a dead motherboard. I'd say get a Z370/Z390 mobo.
B360 and H370 are also an option, but you can't overclock on those.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019
Ah silly me I thought you meant something different. It seems your right, but does this mean the processor should be fine and it’s not turning on because it’s incompatible? Also if this is the case, any clue on how to solve my other issue?

Your motherboard is LGA 1150 socket, and i7 9700 is LGA 1151 socket. This means the pin layout is different, and each pin does a different thing. In order to get the i7 working, you will need a Z390 motherboard. As for the old one, make sure the PSU is unplugged and you have the old CPU in, then remove the CMOS battery (round silver thing), hold the power button on your case for at least 5 seconds, put the battery back in, then plug the PSU in, and see if it works.
If you would like, if you tell us what country you are in, we can give a recommendation of some good, cheap Z390 motherboards.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Your old I5 4460 with Z97 is socket LGA 1150.
9700k and 300 series motherboards are LGA 1151 V2.
The moment you powered on the PC with the 9700k in the Z97, you killed the motherboard. That's why the old cpu doesn't work.
Since you've already got the 9700k, get a new Z370/Z390 mobo and see if it'll run.

Jul 9, 2019
Alright I appreciate the information. I will try Conan Lock’s suggestions to see if my current motherboard will work with my old processor. In the meantime, I am in the United States and I wouldn’t mind some suggestions of motherboards to get that would work with the new processor. Thanks

Jul 9, 2019
Final question, I think I will go buy a new motherboard. Should my old CPU be fine to sell back online and where is a good place to sell/get rid of broken parts?