[SOLVED] Issues with 2 used gtx 980s

ZW____

Honorable
May 10, 2017
So I got 2 separate used 980s that I was gonna use for SLI, a gigibyte wind force and a founders edition, I have removed the cooler from both and reassembled them with fresh thermal paste, with the gigabyte windforce gtx 980 everything seems fine but when ever I finish installing windows and try to install any program the PC then goes black screen and start with the windows 10 repair screen, the GPU can go into the bios with no problems, the 980 founders edition when plugged in, fan on full blast, and no video signal, I tested the two cards separately and what could be the problem for either of the cards ?
Im running these off a asus p9x79 WS with 32gb ram and a 1000 watt psu
Is there any solutions to the two problems?

Solution
Used. Probably your problem right there. Update the bios of the PC? Assuming the 1kW PSU is good there isn't much to putting a pic on the screen. My guess is the founders edition is dead. You might get the other running with lower clock speeds maybe, but if it can't even load windows probably not. Sounds like dead cards.

4745454b

Titan
Used. Probably your problem right there. Update the bios of the PC? Assuming the 1kW PSU is good there isn't much to putting a pic on the screen. My guess is the founders edition is dead. You might get the other running with lower clock speeds maybe, but if it can't even load windows probably not. Sounds like dead cards.

Solution

ZW____

Honorable
May 10, 2017
Does bios version matter in this case ?

4745454b

Titan
There were reports when PCIe 2.0 came out that 2.0 cards would have issues in 1.0 boards if the bios wasn't updated. You have an x79 which supports 2.0 going from my memory. If you have a 3.0 card in there then perhaps there is a similar issue? It won't cost you anything other than some time to try updating your bios to see if it fixes the problem. But honestly it just sounds like bad cards.