[SOLVED] Issues with a VERY slow upgraded Dell Inspiron 13-7359

hudtwalcker

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
SO I got this old Dell Inspiron 13-7359, touchscreen, it's been upgraded to 8GB of DDR3 Ram, and a Kingston 250GB SSD and got a fresh copy of windows and it still runs extremely SLOW !!, almost as slow as before when it had the regular HHDD and only 4GB of RAM, it has an i3-6100U, this processor is old and slow I know, but I have an old ASUS with an i3-5010U and 8 GB of RAM that runs very fast and smooth and I still even game with it (it has Geforce 920m) , now I just installed a light version of windows 10, and it's still very slow, I honestly can't understand why it takes so long to do everything, just hangs all the time, I mean with a fresh install of windows 10 it should run just fine, shouldn't it ??

Solution
YES, the battery or power supply is kinda failing, it wasn't charging, so I removed the battery and it runs only with the power supply, I bought a new battery, but it still doesn't work, so I guess it might be the power supply or something inside ?? Could this be causing the slow response ?

Yes, this can directly relate. It's actually a very common issue. Dell laptops will throttle the CPU to a very slow speed if they do not understand what charger they are plugged into, whether it's the charger's fault, the charging port's fault, or even the motherboard (rare, but across so many Dells, I've seen it on rare occasion). The charger tips are dinky and easily messed up, so it's very commonly that, however the DC jacks also tend to...

Lutfij

Titan
Where are you sourcing your installations(installers) for Windows 10? What BIOS version are you on for the laptop at the time of writing? As for the ram upgrade, did you mix and match with a prior stick or did you go for a dual channel ram kit? Model for the Kingston SSD you purchased? Also, might want to see if the Kingston SSD has any firmware updates pending. As for the laptop, you're advised to manually source all drivers from Dell's support site, using the Service Tag for the laptop and install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Adminsitrator.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It might be worth consideration as to what temps are. These have super inadequate cooling to start with. Might check to make sure the heat pipe or w/e it's using is properly mounted and pasted, that the inside is clean of dust.

Is the battery failing? Power supply putting out the proper wattage? (the right power supply?)

hudtwalcker

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
It might be worth consideration as to what temps are. These have super inadequate cooling to start with. Might check to make sure the heat pipe or w/e it's using is properly mounted and pasted, that the inside is clean of dust.

Is the battery failing? Power supply putting out the proper wattage? (the right power supply?)

YES, the battery or power supply is kinda failing, it wasn't charging, so I removed the battery and it runs only with the power supply, I bought a new battery, but it still doesn't work, so I guess it might be the power supply or something inside ?? Could this be causing the slow response ?

racecar56

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010

Yes, this can directly relate. It's actually a very common issue. Dell laptops will throttle the CPU to a very slow speed if they do not understand what charger they are plugged into, whether it's the charger's fault, the charging port's fault, or even the motherboard (rare, but across so many Dells, I've seen it on rare occasion). The charger tips are dinky and easily messed up, so it's very commonly that, however the DC jacks also tend to follow.

Go to the BIOS and see what it shows for the charger wattage. If this is the problem, it will say there is an "Unknown" charger plugged in. If so, there's the problem - you will need to try a new charger, and if this doesn't help, a new DC jack. (For the record, I'd recommend enabling charger wattage alerts so that this isn't a surprise.)

If not this, I'd treat it as a non-Dell type of issue and check things like cooling and so on so fourth.

Fortunately, if it comes to the DC jack, that looks to be pretty easy on the 7359 - just unscrew and pop off the bottom cover, and you should see it right there. It comes out with just one small screw. New jacks can be found on eBay and Amazon aplenty for cheap, just be careful with connectors etc. during the process.

Best of luck!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS