issues with computer shutting down + rebooting after sleeping

rowan thorne

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015
well the title says it all... when i press shutdown on widows 10 all the pieces of the computer go off but the led still stays on i have to hold the power button on the machine for it to turn off????

Also when my computer goes into sleep mode i can't tap my keyboard or my power button to wake it back up. instead i have hold the power button i see the led go off and then power it back up again but it keeps everything the same before it went into sleep mode

this started yesterday when my computer power cable came out whilst it was running. hope everything will be easy to fix. and thanks in advance. p.s wasn't sure what category to put this in

Colif

Win 11 Master
which led? the power led on case? or a light on power supply itself?

try restarting the PC, it might resolve the problem... it might not as well, its just a guess.

is this a custom PC or a brand name? if custom, what parts in PC? If brand name, what make/model?

rowan thorne

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015

my mistake all lights are on.
this pc https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chillblast-Fusion-Haswell-Gaming-Processor/dp/B00EMCGG50 but with an upgraded psu 550w and a gtx 970.

restarting doesn't seem to solve the issue.

Colif

Win 11 Master
just an idea
open command prompt with admin rights
type shutdown /s /f /t 0 and press enter
then unplug PC and hold power button down for 30 seconds to discharge all power from PC
leave it 10 minutes or so and then start PC

The command shuts down PC completely, win 10 doesn't normally shutdown completely except during a restart. The other part is just draining power from PC. It may not fix it but its worth a try

rowan thorne

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015

didn't work. it's weird cause i don't get error messages from using the power button it just boots up as normal.