Question Issues with display/boot after liquid spillage ?

leblanc

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012
Hey all,

My cat spilled a glass of coke into the top of my pc, I quickly notices because I was listening to music and the music cut off but went back on.

I quickly turned off the switch and let it dry for a couple of hours, hair dried all the pieces, ect. It wasnt too much liquid but it also wasnt too little.

I plugged in the pc back on and it worked no issues but I noticed there was a bit of water still coming from my radiator (because its places on top and the glass fell on top of the pc, radiator blocking most of it), I shut it off abrutly and cleaned/dried the radiator.

Now I let it sit for a bit, came back turned ON and I have no display from my GPU, I switched the GPU and same issue, put the 2nd GPU in the 2nd pci E and the pc bleeps three times and shuts off, turns on and shuts off.

Is this my MOBo dying or dead? or is it shorting in the PCIe?

My cat spilled a glass of coke into the top of my pc
check everything for liquid stains/residue.

check all components externally for any signs of liquid contact & internally if you are comfortable disassembling graphics card, power supply,..
if anything dripped into the CPU socket, etc.

i've seen this same scenario many times and you never know what is negatively affected.

sometimes only connected devices on the motherboard (PCIe components, disks, memory,..).
sometimes the motherboard itself, sometimes the power supply.

your best bet may be to take it to a shop or have someone you know with the hardware and ability test each component separately and see which may still be functioning as it should.

leblanc

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012
check everything for liquid stains/residue.

check all components externally for any signs of liquid contact & internally if you are comfortable disassembling graphics card, power supply,..
if anything dripped into the CPU socket, etc.

i've seen this same scenario many times and you never know what is negatively affected.

sometimes only connected devices on the motherboard (PCIe components, disks, memory,..).
sometimes the motherboard itself, sometimes the power supply.

your best bet may be to take it to a shop or have someone you know with the hardware and ability test each component separately and see which may still be functioning as it should.
I have experience building computers, my guess is that the motherboard is fried, (although it did boot up once after the spillage) The gpus seems to be fine as they behaved the same during boot.

leblanc

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012
you may never know until each component has been checked individually what may be damaged.
if you can get your hands on a similar system, or have one available, then start testing each one at a time.
Well the computer turns on all fans spin, the gpu starts but the system wont boot. I feel like the mobo is out.

leblanc

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012
if the motherboard was DEAD then it couldn't provide power or control to any other devices.
if it's main circuitry is damaged then there's no way to tell what else may be functioning properly or not.

still comes down to testing each component separately and identifying what exactly has been compromised.
The motherboard lights up its an Aorus X570 elite, again all fan spin and gpu lights up for a second the turns off the light but the fan keeps spinning. Everything keeps on but I get no beep from the speaker on the motherboard, and no display.

leblanc

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012
you would start with a similar system that is functioning.

then try each component from the compromised system one-by-one and determine which is not properly functioning.
So build another pc? What is your opinion on the actually booting after the spillage once? and when put the gpu on the second slot and started beeping shutting off and on.

leblanc

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012
if you could afford it, why not?
if everything turns out okay, clean them and resell.

any local shops will usually offer this type of testing for cheaper though.
well i appreciate your time and input, i was very attached to my built, i put a lot of effort in it; cant feel anything but grief, kinda gave up and put everything in a box.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

leblanc

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012
Hello, So i tried one more time cleaned everything and suddenly the pc boots, but it doesnt recognize my NVM2 KC3000 the nvme get warm but cant see it on the Bios.

I update the BIOS to the latest F38 for gygabyte aeorus.

I doubt the NVME is toasted, everything else in the pc works my other NVME works, all ram, gpu, ect.

leblanc

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012
Swap the drives - it's either the drive itself or the slot, and swapping them will make that clear.
The slot is working because i tried with another nvme and gets recognized, but it hard to believe to me that the hard drive is toasted as after all it did boot once after the spillage, there are far more delicate stuff that didnt get damage and overall everything works but that.