[SOLVED] Issues with hard drives after restting and updating

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KarRuptAssassin

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013
Hey guys, so I just bought an RX 580 so I decided to nuke my windows 10 and start a new with a fresh windows 10 install. So, I installed the RX 580 and a 7-port USB 3.0 internal card I got, shut down the computer, unplugged my storage space drives (and color-coded the cords so I wouldn't mix them up when I plugged them back in) booted it back up into troubleshooting mode, reset windows 10, completely reinstalled it, overclocked my 580 and installed drivers, then shut it all back down, plugged the drives back in, and started it all back up once again. The storage space is there, it reads pretty much everything, but it is now SLOW AS HELL.

Drives are having connection latency issues, spanning from 0ms to 9000ms, whole folders won't load entirely, I honestly have no idea what's going on.

I ran some troubleshooting, saw one of my drives was corrupted, restarted to fix it, now the drive is showing up as fine, but I'm still having all of these issues. DISM returned nothing, chkdsk returned nothing, I'm currently running a wd data lifeguard check for the hell of it since the pool is 3 3tb wd drives in a simple pool for storage of my stupidly large steam library.

I honestly have no idea what's going on at this point, I'm thinking I should just reinstall windows 10 again and hope for the best.

Specs in case they're important:

Windows 10 update 1803
RX 580
i7-4790k
16gb ddr3-1866 memory
240gb SanDisk SSD for os
V - storage space - V
2 - Seagate 3TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST3000DM001)
1 - WD blue 3tb 5400 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD30EZRZ

really anything helps at this point

Solution
Alright, fair enough. Thank god i have a laptop because the desktop is probably going to be out of commission for the next few days because of this lmao. Is there any programs/ways better than Teracopy for moving giant chunks of data?

Not really, your limits are physical hardware not software. With that much data its time to bite the bullet.

I mean it IS games so you could just try and break the array and then oh well time to download again if something goes wrong. If nothing goes wrong - profit! Not like you're losing your wedding photos. Just back up anything irreplaceable and gamble with the rest.

KarRuptAssassin

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013
hTXAZJa.png

what even is going on lmao

KarRuptAssassin

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013
Imusing powershell to manually retire the drive thats failing and try to repair the rest of it using an old forum post from 8.1 that seems to still be in working order. Just kinda hoping that this works in general so that I can get my 6tb in other hard drives back.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Imusing powershell to manually retire the drive thats failing and try to repair the rest of it using an old forum post from 8.1 that seems to still be in working order. Just kinda hoping that this works in general so that I can get my 6tb in other hard drives back.

Please share the link here to that post.

Like i said if I were you if the data is accessible I'd back it up and just break the array, format the drives and test each one. Ones probably dying, ditch that one.

KarRuptAssassin

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...rom-pool/fd3e8be0-ef87-46f1-ad55-227ad806a9cd

Wont let me just remove the drive, its being annoying. Its already showing me that its one of the seagate drives, but trying to actually remove it just gives me an error that it cant remove the drive from the pool because "not all the data could be reallocated" Which doesnt make sense because I had the whole pool down to 3.13 tb before it restarted, and now its saying its back up to 6.92. No option to view files.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Cant add the drive to the pool. Do you think removing the physical drive that's causing the errors would allow me to see the other two drives to format them? I know which physical it is that's messed up.

Maybe, It depends on your whole pool data size, also it depends if that drive actually had any of the data on it.

If you try to delete the whole storage space at the top that doesn't work too right?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
yeah thats what the 1tb will be.

Any idea of some good programs to scan the two drives for any potential issues before i start loading them up again? or just chkdsk

Chkdsk does the job, but use the flags /f /r /x on it

So if you're checking the D: drive the command (under an admin command prompt) would be

Code:
chkdsk D: /f /r /x

That tells it to fix any errors, locate and recover any bad sectors, and dismounts the drive before so nothing interrupts.

KarRuptAssassin

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013
So figured id necro again just to let you in on this really weird update.

I had to go pop open my desktop to add a usb 3.0 internal card and i decided to replace the sata cord for the busted drive to see what i could get off it, right?

Launched windows, it nabbed my other two drives and added them to the pool, then proceeded to clear them of everything id be downloading over the day.

Disk management is reading the drive just fine now, im running chkdsk full on all three drives again, no idea what happened but its working again?

Windows wtf

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
So figured id necro again just to let you in on this really weird update.

I had to go pop open my desktop to add a usb 3.0 internal card and i decided to replace the sata cord for the busted drive to see what i could get off it, right?

Launched windows, it nabbed my other two drives and added them to the pool, then proceeded to clear them of everything id be downloading over the day.

Disk management is reading the drive just fine now, im running chkdsk full on all three drives again, no idea what happened but its working again?

Windows wtf

Bad cable?

That like never ever happens to the point of I wouldn't even suggest it as a possible problem.

Colif

Win 11 Master
problem around here is its almost always the solution you would never suggest. Could use a checklist of all the possibilities and many questions would still go, nope, been there, done that... next.

Glad you worked it out, we were both looking at software solutions since drives tested fine

TRENDING THREADS