[SOLVED] Issues with hard drives after restting and updating

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KarRuptAssassin

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013
Hey guys, so I just bought an RX 580 so I decided to nuke my windows 10 and start a new with a fresh windows 10 install. So, I installed the RX 580 and a 7-port USB 3.0 internal card I got, shut down the computer, unplugged my storage space drives (and color-coded the cords so I wouldn't mix them up when I plugged them back in) booted it back up into troubleshooting mode, reset windows 10, completely reinstalled it, overclocked my 580 and installed drivers, then shut it all back down, plugged the drives back in, and started it all back up once again. The storage space is there, it reads pretty much everything, but it is now SLOW AS HELL.

Drives are having connection latency issues, spanning from 0ms to 9000ms, whole folders won't load entirely, I honestly have no idea what's going on.

I ran some troubleshooting, saw one of my drives was corrupted, restarted to fix it, now the drive is showing up as fine, but I'm still having all of these issues. DISM returned nothing, chkdsk returned nothing, I'm currently running a wd data lifeguard check for the hell of it since the pool is 3 3tb wd drives in a simple pool for storage of my stupidly large steam library.

I honestly have no idea what's going on at this point, I'm thinking I should just reinstall windows 10 again and hope for the best.

Specs in case they're important:

Windows 10 update 1803
RX 580
i7-4790k
16gb ddr3-1866 memory
240gb SanDisk SSD for os
V - storage space - V
2 - Seagate 3TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST3000DM001)
1 - WD blue 3tb 5400 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD30EZRZ

really anything helps at this point

Solution
Alright, fair enough. Thank god i have a laptop because the desktop is probably going to be out of commission for the next few days because of this lmao. Is there any programs/ways better than Teracopy for moving giant chunks of data?

Not really, your limits are physical hardware not software. With that much data its time to bite the bullet.

I mean it IS games so you could just try and break the array and then oh well time to download again if something goes wrong. If nothing goes wrong - profit! Not like you're losing your wedding photos. Just back up anything irreplaceable and gamble with the rest.

KarRuptAssassin

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013
I appreciate both of you helping out.

The disk that ive been having problems with was never able to finish the chkdsk and slowed down to the point of not even being completeable, stating it would take over 100 days to finish and not changing over 10 hours, so im figuring that the restarts are what is allowing it to boot back up for a moment, but the drive is trash in general.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I appreciate both of you helping out.

The disk that ive been having problems with was never able to finish the chkdsk and slowed down to the point of not even being completeable, stating it would take over 100 days to finish and not changing over 10 hours, so im figuring that the restarts are what is allowing it to boot back up for a moment, but the drive is trash in general.

100% agree. make it a door stop.