Question Issues with less than year old PC build, replaced ALL hardware and clean installed Windows 11 ?

Sep 23, 2024
Summary
Issues with less than year old PC build, Replaced ALL hardware, clean installed Windows 11
and PC is unusable. Over $8k spent! No fixes work.

Details
I don't know what to do. What happened 3 weeks ago is irrelevant at this point because I completely rebuilt a year old PC.

MBD: Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero,
CPU: i9-14900k,
GPU: Asus TUF RTX 4090
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 4 x 32GB
SSD: 2TB WD NVMe

BIOS updated to latest version.

Clean install Windows 11 23H2. BSOD errors while installing. Windows update failing on some updates. Troubleshooter not fixing issues with windows update. While typing in search bar, have to do it real fast before it collapses and have to start over. While using Edge, constant "page cannot be displayed" and have to refresh. Router reset did not fix. Troubleshooter says not connected to internet. Network says connected and I can browse until page cannot be displayed. SFC will not run and shuts down. DISM did not run either.

I usually get a BSOD right after trying to run those. Between the year old rig and this new one, I spent over $8000, Been building for 20 years and never had issues like this. Just ordered another $1000 in parts. New ssd, again, new ram again, and new 1500watt psu to replace a year old 1000 watt. NONE of the fixes I found online work. They usually trigger a BSOD. I have another PC that is identical to the year old build and it's running fine. Do I rebuild again?

Sep 23, 2024
That 4x32gb ram is probably the problem. 4 sticks don't work very well with DDR5, yet. Try 2x32gb.
I did that. Same issues. Checked the memory and it found no issues. I just ordered different ram anyway. I highly doubt that's the issue. I'm convinced it's just Windows 11. I had an older version 22H2 and it wouldn't update to 23H2. I did the bootable usb from Microsoft for 23H2 and it wouldn't install. Wouldn't install clean either. I bought a new Win 11 last night 22H2 and it installed clean with a couple of BSOD but it installed. Got further than before. I don't think any of the hardware is bad. At least I have enough parts to get a test bench set up.

Sep 23, 2024
Have you tried swapping the CPUs?

If you were running that 14900k on a ROG Maximus before all these recent microcode updates, there is a very good chance the CPU is simply damaged.
I did. I went from a year old i913900k to an i9 14900k. The temps never exceeded 60c. I installed the new one on the new build and had BSOD errors right out of the gate. I don't OC either. I always have 2 identical rigs in the house. I have another year old machine with the i913900k and I never updated the bios. ZERO issues! I just don't understand how I have all these errors, rebuild the entire system and get the exact same errors on the brand new rig. I'm afraid to build another one. It's gotta be Windows 11.

I went from a year old i913900k to an i9 14900k. The temps never exceeded 60c.
I installed the new one on the new build and had BSOD errors right out of the gate.
Have only a single ram module installed (slot A2).
Disable XMP and any/all overclocking.
Remove GPU from System physically.
Have only single drive connected. Remove all the other drives.

Then try to install windows.

BTW - what cpu cooler are you using?

Those BSODs you mentioned - they contain some important information.
Post screenshots (upload to imgur.com and post link)

Reactions: JayBuild00
Sep 23, 2024
Have only a single ram module installed (slot A2).
Disable XMP and any/all overclocking.
Remove GPU from System physically.
Have only single drive connected. Remove all the other drives.

Then try to install windows.

BTW - what cpu cooler are you using?

Those BSODs you mentioned - they contain some important information.
Post screenshots (upload to imgur.com and post link)
Did that too! Same errors. BSOD are a variety and never up on the screen for more than a second. Can't get screenshot. Sytem thread exception is the one I see the most. Critical process died, invalid page access, attempted execute of nonexecute memory, there are more! I can be in the middle of trying a "fix" and one pops off and restarts system. Just can't understand how I get same errors on two different PCs.
cooler is corsair h100.

BSOD are a variety and never up on the screen for more than a second. Can't get screenshot. Sytem thread exception is the one I see the most. Critical process died, invalid page access, attempted execute of nonexecute memory, there are more!
Those all seem like memory problems.
Increase DDR voltage to 1.2V.
If that doesn't help, then increase DDR voltage slightly more. But don't go over 1.35V.

Also you may want to check cpu socket for bent/broken pins.

Last edited:
Reactions: JayBuild00
Sep 23, 2024
Those all seem like memory problems.
Increase DDR voltage to 1.2V.
If that doesn't help, then increase DDR voltage slightly mode. But don't go over 1.35V.

Also you may want to check cpu socket for bent/broken pins.
Haven't increased voltage. If I enable xmp, windows doesn't start unless I disable. Did the same in the other rig with different ram. I doubt 8 sticks are bad. 4 are less than a week old. I did try with just 1 and same issues. I checked old mobo for bent missing pins and it still looks minty new. I double checked the brand new mobo and the same thing. Next I'm replacing the mobo cpu holder with a plate to avoid any flexing and replacing cooler with corsair h150i elite. Also replacing both 2tb nvme ssds with 1 4tb WD ssd and also another new batch of ram. this time corsair vengeance 16x2 6000Mhz to replace Dominator Platinum 4x32 6800 Mhz so, a downgrade.

Sep 23, 2024
Then try it.

You may want to make several high resolution photos of cpu socket from different angles
and show here (upload to imgur.com and post link).
Giving that a try, I'll get pics when I strip it down again and start over. I'm contemplating just getting a whole new mobo and cpu to avoid stripping it down again. What's another few grand? I have plenty of funds to burn. I just want it to work!

Sep 23, 2024
Did that. Can't get far into it without a BSOD. It seems if I do nothing and just stare at the desktop, no errors are generated. The min I start trying to diagnose, it's restarting. Windows tries to repair and triggers more BSOD before any task can finish. Again, all the same issues with 2 different machines worth of hardware. Everything was replaced and same issues. The only thing that was different was after 22H2 installed, it wouldn't update to 23H2 and would not install with a media creation tool usb. I bought 23H2 and it installed but still same issues.

EDIT

Just wanted to add that I can no longer run any installer or setup package. Starts and stops. Before replacing all hardware, I was able to to at least get the minidump files. Not an option now.

Sep 23, 2024
Use Rufus to install a portable version Windows to a fast USB drive or external ssd and see.
Did that too! Wouldn't install the files. Crapped out at 100% and started over and got same thing. I went out and bought a retail Win 11 and it installed and got a couple BSOD errors during the clean install on a new ssd but, it completed and I was able to start windows.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Choose Windows To Go installation using Rufus and install Windows using Rufus are different things.

After installation, you boot from the Windows To Go USB drive

The USB drive / external ssd should be fast or it wouldn't work. Even an external hdd will be better than a slow usb drive

rufus-no-windows-to-go-option-3.png

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2024
Choose Windows To Go installation using Rufus and install Windows using Rufus are different things.

After installation, you boot from the Windows To Go USB drive

rufus-no-windows-to-go-option-3.png

I tried to do it that way but I can't install Rufus on the affected machine. I did it on my other machine and created the media. Tried it twice. Once with Microsofts media creation tool and Rufus. Failed both times. The only successful was retail Win 11 22H2 but wouldn't update to 23H2. and the Retail Win 11 23H2 which did install but with errors during install. That was as far as I got. Still can't install or run setup on anything. I try typing in the search bar and it collapses. If I type fast enough and click fast enough, I can get to CMD, device manger, etc... In CMD, SFC is unable to run. CHDSK is unable to run. DISM unable to run. Usually results in a BSOD that leads to multiple BSOD before Windows starts up again. It gets BSOD during its own diagnosing problem during start up It never finishes the task before triggering an error. what else can I do besides replace all hardware again?

Sep 23, 2024
Did you buy a boxed 14900k? You should know the news regarding 13/14gen Intel CPUs, right?
I did. I'm aware. I updated bios for the new microcode. I never overclocked and the temps were never high er than 60c under heavy loads with the 13th gen. The 14th gen is about a week old. Are they bad out of the box?Only way to test that will be to replace the motherboard and cpu again with a different socket type and say bye bye asus and intel.

Sep 23, 2024
Did you buy a boxed 14900k? You should know the news regarding 13/14gen Intel CPUs, right?
My other working machine is the exact same build with the 13th gen and bios version 813. Never updated it and ZERO issues and I did do overclocking. I have since shut it off. again, never over 60c under heavy loads. No liquid cooling. Lots of fans in a full tower. Problem rig also a full tower but with liquid cooling and fewer fans. Good airflow, everything well maintained and kept clean always.