Question Issues with Motherboard, Defective?

GloomerO1

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015
Good morning all, I am having a few issues which I was willing to work around until recently when I believe it is more extensive than I had imagined.

Several months back I upgraded my PC, purchased an i5 9400, Gigabyte Z370P D.3, 16Gigs DDR4 3000 to go with my Radeon R570 that I already had.

The first issue I ran into was the 9th gen compatibility, so I updated the BIOS to version F10 which supports 9th gen so no issues there.

However I could never get the computer to post with the GPU in PCIe 16x (Slot 1). I threw it into the 3rd slot and it posts fine, I cannot remember if I tried the 2nd or not, but its in the 3rd posting fine. I also have a wireless NIC in the very first PCIe 1x Slot.

Fast forward to yesterday, I purchased a Mushkin Pilot 500GB M.2 2280 PCie Gen3 4x NVMe SSD. The bios will not recognize it. I pulled all my sata drives, nothing. Pulled the Wireless NIC, nothing. The only thing I have not done is pull the GPU, from PCIe 16x Slot 3.

I have changed every BIOS setting I could possibly think of to try and recognize the SSD and nothing. It does not show in the NVMe Peripherals section, the SATA SSD Section or the Boot Device section.

I had just built a Gigabyte Z390 PC for a friend with a 256GB Mushkin Pilot with no issue, and even with my Mobo being a Z370 it should work I know its supported.

I am starting to think that my Mobo is defective with the top PCIe 16x slot not posting, however I wanted to get some input first if perhaps I did something wrong with the video card install, and then find out if there is something that is also causing the M.2 PCIe SSD not to recognize.

Thank you

GloomerO1

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015
Well I certainly CAN do that, but I shouldn't need to update the BIOS for either of these things. My BIOS date is Sept 2018, both the M2 and the video card should be supported with the stock BIOS

GloomerO1

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015
Let me add to the conundrum, so turns out my GPU was installed into PCIe Slot 2 because as I mentioned when it was in Slot 1 it would not post. In actually it sounds like it posts, however their is no display.

So in the BIOS I looked in the Initial Display Output. It was Set to PCIe Slot 1 (the Default) which means it SHOULD display in slot 1 not slot 2. I switched that to IGFX and now it does not display in either Slot 1 or Slot 2. I have not had a chance to test out the IGFX because I need to grab an HDMI monitor (the IGFX connection).

None of this resolves the issue with my M2 and when I get home I am going to pull the GFX card to see if there is some issue with the PCIe Slots.

I am really starting to lean towards the mobo just being faulty, either that or Gigabyte really messed up the F10 BIOS and I will look into updating it to another BIOS. I really hate updating the BIOS if possible as my 9th gen is not supported and I am not interested in throwing in an 8th Gen just to flash the BIOS again if it gets messed up.

GloomerO1

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015
Ok latest update, only M2 SSD plugged in, still not recognized in BIOS.

Additionally, enabled the Onboard GPU, Video card in PCIe 16x (Slot), computer posts, boots into Windows, but Video card is not recognized. Put Video Card in PCIe 16x (Slot 2 - Runs 4x), computer posts, boots and GPU is recognized.

Conclusions? My assumption is the Mobo is faulty, but what is the possibility it is shorting on the case somewhere and that short would localize those 2 peripherals. I do have a Wireless NIC in PCIe 1x Slot 1 Which is right by the M2 and the PCIe 16x Slot one and it works without issue.

the M.2 slot could possibly be using some of the needed PCIe lanes the same way your SATA ports may if you have "too many" connected.
but if the board's PCIe x16 slot is faulty it could possibly lead to both issues.
check your MB manual and see what it says regarding SATA, M.2 and PCIe lanes.

i have seen a few other users mentioning receiving this board with damaged or faulty ports though. maybe try a few searches regarding the issue and the motherboard and see if you find many responses with others having the same type issues.

GloomerO1

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015
Thank you for the suggestions, at this point I will consider the board faulty. The M2 would not work even when it was the only device installed (not sharing lanes). It is compatible with this MOBO as is this video card, which again has no compatibility issues. A final test, I will throw the SSD in another computer later to see if it boots, but I find it hard to believe both the GPU and SSD would have issues. I will RMA the mobo later to resolve this issue. but wanted to run it by to see if their were some odd BIOS settings that needed changing.