[SOLVED] Issues with Overclocking; TJ Max on Prime95 even on default BIOS config

HoloTheWise

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2013
I've been looking for tips on OC settings for the 11th gen Intel and I can't really find anything... I know the CPU is actually worse then the 10th gen, but its too late and im trying to deal with it...

My issue is getting the temp down... I'm aiming for a 4.7ghz OC, not even anything crazy. The main Issue I'm running into is reaching 100C instantly when I try benchmarking with Handbrake or Prime95..... Even stock settings.
I reapplied my thermal paste twice and its the same, so I don't think its my AIO.
My mobo is the MSI MAG Z590 TORPEDO

Just trying to figure out what is normal and what is not for this CPU.

Looking for any tips anyone can give or if my settings are really bad or something, or if it really might be my AIO.

h87NViC.png

Oh1pG0z.png
bayvm7g.png
gQdNOAA.png
xlwMLio.png

Solution
You should determine if in fact the AIO is working or is coping with the changes you made in Bios.
What cooler are you using?
Depending on P95 settings, the torture test is harsh and would essentially only determine thermal properties. It won't tell you why if workers cease processing.

Bring your Bios back to default and use AIDA64 stress test to determine Thermals and Rail voltages for CPU, FPU and Cache. Run the test for 20mins and stop the test if temps go over 80C. Report the desktop photo results via IMGUR.

Both information from AIDA64 and HWinfo64 will help determine what can be done as your current Bios settings are not optimal for I7-11700K
Well the settings you show have the CPU run at 4096W (max) all the time, both short and long duration, which means that it will use as much of that as it can, and the more cooling you have the more of that it will be able to use.

If you want to overclock or even if you want to run it at normal clocks without it going crazy you have to change the power numbers to the lowest that will keep the clocks you want to achieve steady.
Start with the intel defined numbers of 125 long and 251 short and go from there.

You should determine if in fact the AIO is working or is coping with the changes you made in Bios.
Depending on P95 settings, the torture test is harsh and would essentially only determine thermal properties. It won't tell you why if workers cease processing.

Bring your Bios back to default and use AIDA64 stress test to determine Thermals and Rail voltages for CPU, FPU and Cache. Run the test for 20mins and stop the test if temps go over 80C. Report the desktop photo results via IMGUR.

Both information from AIDA64 and HWinfo64 will help determine what can be done as your current Bios settings are not optimal for I7-11700K

Reactions: HoloTheWise
Solution

HoloTheWise

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2013

I was using the MSI MAG Series CORELIQUID 240R and I was kind of getting suspicious of the cooler.. The temps were like I had no cooler at all. 60C Idle temps.
I checked out the thermal paste and I saw something weird... It was like all the thermal paste oozed out from under the copper plate and left the CPU naked with no paste.
I tried re-seating and applying the paste multiple times and it didn't change a thing. I looked at the mounting setup and no matter what it felt like I could not get good mounting pressure, so my theory is the mounting bracket is trash and since the pressure was uneven it made it so the paste could come out from under the copper plate....
LlwgTZA.jpg

I went to BestBuy today and bought the CORSAIR - iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX and installed it and the difference is just comical. 25-32C idle and Under Prime95 load I stay in the 60-65c range, with occasional 70c spikes. So it really was the cooler in the end. I will be avoiding MSI like the plague from here on out. The Corsair's build quality alone is 100x better, and the mounting kid is much more stable and not chintzy crap.