Question Issues with PC detecting headset ?

Dec 10, 2021
So a few days ago I've run across an odd issue with my computer and detecting my headphones. They aren't detected anymore when they are plugged in. The weird thing is that when my headphones and mic are plugged in, the PC does not detect them any longer but if I were to unplug them then it suddenly detects them as if they're plugged in. Which is obviously the exact opposite of what it should be doing. I have to do some weird runarounds and constant unplugging and replugging just to fix it while looking at sound manager and my RealTek Audio Manager until it fixes but its always temporary until my PC shuts down. I want a permanent solution to this. Can anyone help?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I don't know whether this is involved in your situation, but it is easy to check. The headsets most commonly used with PC's have a cable with TWO plugs on the end, and these plug into two separate sockets on the front of the case. The plugs on the cable and the panel sockets MAY have colour coding on them: Green for earphones, Pink for the mic. Look carefully at the plug tips. The "normal" ones have THREE contacts on them, called Tip, Ring and Sleeve. However, there is another system widely used by Apple devices and several others that has one plug on the cable with FOUR contacts: Tip, Ring1, Ring2, and Sleeve. These plugs have the same physical dimentions so they CAN be plugged into the front panel sockets. BUT the different contact system means they make the wrong connections inside and do not work, or partially work. IF you have that four-contact system on the plug on your headset cable, there is a simple adapter you can get to convert that to the two-ended system with THREE contacts each. IF that appears to be what you need, post back here for advice on how to get that adapter.

Dec 10, 2021
The connector isn't the issue I believe. I've used this headset for 2 years with no problems whatsoever but suddenly it starts acting up and just does what I mentioned above. I get it work eventually but three days in a row I've had to fiddle around with my output devices physically and in a program just to get my headphones to work and when I do, I have no issues with them afterwards.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I assume you are plugging the headset plugs into two front panel sockets. Your description sounds somewhat like an intermittent connection from a broken wire.

Can you try instead using rear panel sockets? This assumes that you are using the audio system on your MOBO, that outputs signals to sockets on the rear panel of that board. Plug the EARPHONE plug into the Light Green (front stereo speaker) socket, and the Mic plug into the Pink (Mic In) socket. Do they work reliably that way? Or, is the problem the same? That will tell you whether the problem is the socket at the front, or the headset itself.

Dec 10, 2021
I did that too the first day it happened during my troubleshooting. Sorry I forgot to mention. Still did not work. Like I said the only way I've managed to fix it is to have my realtek audio manager up while I constantly plug in and out my headphone Jack's to the front sockets while also unplugging and turning on and off my speaker. After like 5 minutes it fixes and I can play for hours talking to friends but it's tedious and annoying to do.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You may have noticed this, but it's not obvious at a glance. The Realtek system typically includes a tool for re-assigning any output jack to another use. When you plug something in, a little window pops up on your screen saying it has detected this, and suggests what that MIGHT be that was plugged in there. If you ignore that and let it disappear, it does NOT use that suggestion. Instead it just does NOT send out any signal on that jack! You MUST respond, even if that is only to confirm that its guess is correct.

If your system is confused, try this sequence.
  1. UNplug all plugs from audio jacks on the rear panel and the front. Reboot. This forces the Realtek system to recognize that it has nothing plugged in, and thus knows nothing.
  2. Arrange your system so you have access to the back panel and can see your screen and use your mouse / keyboard.
  3. Plug in ONE item - say, the plug for front stereo speakers in the light Green jack on back - and watch for the window. Correct or merely confirm that you plugged in front stereo speakers. Proceed with other plugs, one at a time, confirming each. Continue with items plugged into the front jacks.
When you get all this done, the Realtek system knows everything plugged in and will use the jacks properly. If you later unplug something, and after that re-connect, watch again for the window to confirm it has the right device identified there.

Dec 10, 2021
Dunno what happened but it just fixed itself as of yesterday. Haven't had any issues with it detecting my headset at all so I don't know what the hiccup was about. Thanks for the help everyone.