[SOLVED] Issues with seeing other computers on network

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
Ok I have 3 computers, well 4 in total but not worried about the 4th one, all running windows 10, they are connected to same network, part of same workgroup. Let's call the computers desktop A, desktop B, and laptop.

I have a folder shared on desktop A, the laptop is able to access it just fine. Desktop B is not able to access desktop A at all, it can see the pc on the network page but says windows can't access it. Desktop A is not able to access the laptop but can access desktop B. For right now, my main goal is for all computers to be able to access desktop A. But also want all computers to be able to access each other.

Network discovery is turned on and file and printer sharing is turned on on all computers. I read something about using smb client. All computers have smb 1.0/cfis file sharing support enabled in windows features. 2 computers have the smd direct enabled as well, the laptop does not have smd direct. Also have function discovery provider host and function discovery resource publication services running and set to automatic(delayed start)

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
Urgh, something wrong with my account or something, I go to reply and says I am not logged in, driving me crazy. Made a post about it in the forum feedback section.

Anyways, both desktop A and B are hardwired. Desktop A is hardwired to a second router that is hardwired to first modem/router. Desktop A is in a seperate building, which is why it is connected to a second router. The laptop is connected wireless.

For passwords, don't recall setting up a password for desktop A, if I did, don't recall what it is. But when I first started trying accessing desktop A with laptop, it would ask for a password, don't know what it is. So to get around that, I turned off password protected sharing on desktop A.

Desktop B and laptop does have a password but I have it setup where I don't need to enter it every time I start the machines up, used netplwiz to disable the password, not sure if that part matters for this situation.

When I was using passwords, they all worked fine.

kanewolf

Titan
That "second router" is what is preventing "B" from accessing "A". Are you trying to isolate the second building from the first? If not that second router needs to be converted to an access point -- https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-router-to-a-wireless-ap-access-point.966884/
Some routers (Asus) have a simple option in the firmware to run them as an AP. Some you have to manually follow the link I provided.

Solution

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
That "second router" is what is preventing "B" from accessing "A". Are you trying to isolate the second building from the first? If not that second router needs to be converted to an access point -- https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-router-to-a-wireless-ap-access-point.966884/
Some routers (Asus) have a simple option in the firmware to run them as an AP. Some you have to manually follow the link I provided.

If that is the case, then why is the laptop able to access A then? Something weird going on though, I went to desktop A and could not even see the laptop. Earlier today, A was able to see it and I have not made any changes since then.

EDIT, just checked it again just a few minutes later and the laptop shows up on desktop A and can access it fine without doing anything. Why would it keep appearing and disappearing without anything changing? Yes I did refresh the page when it didn't show up.

No not trying to isolate second building. I do want to have wifi in the second building, can that be done as an access point?

Just found out something else I don't understand. When desktop A tries to access B, it asks for network credentials. I enter the name and windows pass used for B and it works. Ok all good, but when I try to access B through the laptop, it does not ask me for a password, it can see it fine.

All this going to make my head spin lol.

Last edited:
After all of these I never heard you mention setting up ACCOUNTS. After you enable file sharing, great, now you have to tell it, OK USER ACCOUNT XX have authorized THESE KIND of file access, read/write/modify blah-blah. Was this done? If u trust EVERYBODY, can setup PUBLIC FULL ACCESS, not recommended for security sake.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
After all of these I never heard you mention setting up ACCOUNTS. After you enable file sharing, great, now you have to tell it, OK USER ACCOUNT XX have authorized THESE KIND of file access, read/write/modify blah-blah. Was this done? If u trust EVERYBODY, can setup PUBLIC FULL ACCESS, not recommended for security sake.

Currently have it set to everybody. I will try changing that to individual accounts.

How can I add an individual account instead of everyone? I tried the name of the computer and the ip address and both say can't find it

Last edited:

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
But you're sharing across accounts, so this isn't simple file sharing since you are going through 2 routers. Is making the other router an access point an option for your setup (wired connection of VERY strong signal)?

I don't quite understand this. If I am sharing across accounts, why is the laptop able to view the shared files just fine?

What does it mean to use the router as an access point? Will it still be able to throw out wireless signal? Don't think the signal would be an issue, get about the same speeds going by doing a speed test as any of the other computers.

It's probably time to back up and ask - how did you set up file sharing in the first place (that works sometimes)? Also, is this actually something you set up, or did you walk into it?

As far as switching to bridge mode, the easiest way to test would be having a laptop or phone connected to router 1 for Internet. If you can walk the device all the way to router 2 and still have at least a tiny signal from router 1, bridge mode should work for you.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
It's probably time to back up and ask - how did you set up file sharing in the first place (that works sometimes)? Also, is this actually something you set up, or did you walk into it?

As far as switching to bridge mode, the easiest way to test would be having a laptop or phone connected to router 1 for Internet. If you can walk the device all the way to router 2 and still have at least a tiny signal from router 1, bridge mode should work for you.

Honestly, I don't think I ever set file sharing up, never had the need for it. If I did, I don't recall what was done.

Without doing this, I can say good chance it will not work. The 2nd router is inside an all metal building. Would lose wifi from 1st router as soon as I walk into the building, maybe even before being about 100ft away from house.

Have you spoken with your ISP or landlord about connecting these locations so that a single network can be shared? Who knows, depending on who has been there before, at least some of the infrastructure may already be in place. Other options would include Teamviewer, setting up a VPN (which would have it's own costs), or opening a port on both routers in order to use remote desktop.

It all comes down to how often you need these connection and how mamy PCs need to connect between the two buildings.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
There is no landlord involved here, what do you mean sharing a single network?

Why does how often I need to connect to the other computers matter? if It works, then shouldn't it work whether I do once a day, once a week, or once a year as long as no settings are changed?

Since I (or you apparently) did not set up file sharing between the two buildings, I am just giving ideas. I don't know what your network topology is. The only thing we do know is that you have two independent routers running two seemingly independent networks, and I am giving you some ideas how to get them to work together so that you can share files. If you are getting in over your head, you may have to hire someone to set this up for you.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
Since I (or you apparently) did not set up file sharing between the two buildings, I am just giving ideas. I don't know what your network topology is. The only thing we do know is that you have two independent routers running two seemingly independent networks, and I am giving you some ideas how to get them to work together so that you can share files. If you are getting in over your head, you may have to hire someone to set this up for you.

I kind of am in over my head lol, that is why I am asking for help in forums. And I ty all for the help.

Do I want to setup the 2nd router as an access point?

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
One modem for both buildings.

I did figure something out. The cable that is hooked up to the modem/router in the house has been hooked up to the 2nd router in the building. Well I hooked that cable directly to desktop A that is also in the building. So that takes the 2nd router completely out of the equation. Desktop B still can't access desktop A.

OK, so if you have one modem but internet hitting both routers, then there should be cabling somewhere connecting the two, at which point you may be able to turn the router that is NOT next the modem into an access point. The reason that sometime you can connect and sometime you cannot is most likely due to the leasing of the IP addresses. If both routers are leasing the same IP address to devices on their own networks, they won't be able to communicate with each other.

Please note that I am using the terms "may" and "should" just because I have no Idea how this thing is wired. I know how I would wire it, but that doesn't mean whoever set it up would do the same.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
OK, so if you have one modem but internet hitting both routers, then there should be cabling somewhere connecting the two, at which point you may be able to turn the router that is NOT next the modem into an access point. The reason that sometime you can connect and sometime you cannot is most likely due to the leasing of the IP addresses. If both routers are leasing the same IP address to devices on their own networks, they won't be able to communicate with each other.

Please note that I am using the terms "may" and "should" just because I have no Idea how this thing is wired. I know how I would wire it, but that doesn't mean whoever set it up would do the same.

Yes there is cable connecting the 2 routers. But I have took the 2nd router out of the equation for now. There is something wrong with desktop B or maybe A since B can't access A

So now that you have one router in the equation, check it to see that Desktop A and Desktop B are both getting IP addresses from that router.

I suppose I am a bit confused, because if two computers in twio different buildings have internet access from one router, why do you (or did you) have two routers? Is it for wifi?

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
Reason for 2nd router is for mainly wifi and a credit card machine also needs internet access. And plan on adding a camera system in that building. I guess if it wasn't for wifi, I could just use a switch, correct?

So I got something figured out. On desktop A, I made a 2nd admin user account on A. Once I did that, B is able to access A. Everything seems good at this point.

But now I am bringing the 2nd router back into the equation since that is how it needs to be hooked up. 2nd router is hooked up LAN to WAN from 1st router for internet to work on desktop A. Desktop A is able to see other computers but other computers can't see A. Now if I hook up routers LAN to LAN, all the computers can see each other.

I am guessing this has to do with the 2nd router making a different network than the first router. How do I go about making 2nd router use same network as first one?